C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-theft protection from a young person who doesn't know things?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anti-theft protection from a young person who doesn't know things?

Apologies for the mess of a title. I couldn't really think of anything better.

So I'm getting my `75 finally ready to be daily driven, but I need to concern myself with theft protection. I'm a pretty young guy and I live in Las Vegas which is fairly infamous for car theft.

I'm not quite sure where to start with this. Her factory alarm is entirely non-functional and I have to choose whether I want to install a new system or repair the old system first off and I'm not even sure of the effectiveness of the stock alarm system.

Aside from that, I plan to do these things:
Install some sort of a well hidden kill-switch that will hopefully make the car near impossible to hotwire, I'm thinking by grounding the circuit.
I also intend to etch my VIN into all of the glass.

I may get something like Ravelco which seems to be a second electronic key. As well, I've been looking into LoJack for classics (GPS locator.)

Do you all think this is excessive? Am I missing anything that might be good to have?

Last edited by Shdggsdv; 01-25-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:13 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

a clutch and a revolver!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
js1977 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:24 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

It is a car. It can be replaced.

Get agreed upon value insurance and then just drive it.

Last edited by SteveG75; 01-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Battery shutoff. There nothing that requires any memory etc in that era of cars. Worst case, the clock will be wrong. Thieves don't have a lot of time to search for why it won't start. Hell, most younger thieves wouldn't have any idea where your battery is.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

If a bad guy wants our c3 he will just haul it away only low end bottom feeders would try to drive it away, so sure hidden kill switches protect from some but not all theft,

Im far more concerned when my 69 is running again it will get ripped off not wrecked so ill insure it for about double what it would cost to replace it....
Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Shdggsdv
Apologies for the mess of a title. I couldn't really think of anything better.

So I'm getting my `75 finally ready to be daily driven, but I need to concern myself with theft protection. I'm a pretty young guy and I live in Las Vegas which is fairly infamous for car theft.

I'm not quite sure where to start with this. Her factory alarm is entirely non-functional and I have to choose whether I want to install a new system or repair the old system first off and I'm not even sure of the effectiveness of the stock alarm system.

Aside from that, I plan to do these things:
Install some sort of a well hidden kill-switch that will hopefully make the car near impossible to hotwire, I'm thinking by grounding the circuit.
I also intend to etch my VIN into all of the glass.

I may get something like Ravelco which seems to be a second electronic key. As well, I've been looking into LoJack for classics (GPS locator.)

Do you all think this is excessive? Am I missing anything that might be good to have?
Are you going to use the radio?

Best kill switch ever I saw, was a 69 with the radio gutted.

You had to turn on the radio volume **** to have ignition. Hiding in plain sight.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:59 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Best anti-theft device ever!

The following users liked this post:
Alex66 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 04:50 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Battery shutoff.
Originally Posted by The13Bats
If a bad guy wants our c3 he will just haul it away..... hidden kill switches protect from some but not all theft...... insure it for about double what it would cost to replace it....
Nothing can protect from everything but a good insurance policy should at least get you back on the road IF something bad happens.
Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Best kill switch ever I saw, was a 69 with the radio gutted.....You had to turn on the radio volume **** to have ignition. Hiding in plain sight.
THIS, I like! I put a battery kill switch in my glovebox, more so to keep from draining the battery than for theft.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

ask your ins agent if that kind of coverage includes daily driving

like the radio **** idea last place they will look for it. ;Used to paint the purple wire another color too..lojack not a bad idea

Usually if they find its got 1 or 2 devices and dont have a tow truck they will move on.

Last edited by cv67; 01-25-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Originally Posted by The13Bats
If a bad guy wants our c3 he will just haul it away only low end bottom feeders would try to drive it away, so sure hidden kill switches protect from some but not all theft,

Im far more concerned when my 69 is running again it will get ripped off not wrecked so ill insure it for about double what it would cost to replace it....
I'm not incredibly worried about someone hauling away my Vette. I have a '75 in a rare color so the value is fairly low and their risk of it being spotted is quite high. If I have my glass VIN stamped then I really doubt a thief who knows what he's doing would think my car would be a good flip in comparison to something like a 10 year old Civic. I'm mostly worried about the bottom feeders and joy riders tbh.

I love the idea of the battery cutoff, I might do that!

Can't do the radio idea, though. I have a Retrosound and I'm building a pretty substantial audiophile system in the car, but that's a pretty awesome idea.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
ask your ins agent if that kind of coverage includes daily driving

like the radio **** idea last place they will look for it. ;Used to paint the purple wire another color too..lojack not a bad idea

Usually if they find its got 1 or 2 devices and dont have a tow truck they will move on.
Switching to Hagerty and I'm not technically daily driving it because I work at home so I have no job commute. My daily driving really just entails using it for occasional errands and seeing my friends/SO.

And yeah that's what I was thinking. I'd like to make my car a lot more difficult to steal than whatever commuter I might be parked next to.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveG75
It is a car. It can be replaced.

Get agreed upon value insurance and then just drive it.
She's my first car and I plan to own the orange thing through my life and pass it onto kids someday. Holds massive sentimental value to me. As well, I feel like theft protection is a good idea rather than just going with the possibility of a stolen car and solely relying on insurance.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I think these days, one of the best anti theft devices is a clutch pedal. You automatically eliminate about 80% or more of the possible thieves.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

In addition to other anti-theft deterants like alarms, kill switches, etc. I also use a pedal lock. Can be used on clutch or brake pedal to make driving the car quite difficult. Can be removed/installed in about 30 seconds.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 AM
standswithabeer
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

had a 71 porsche 911 in CA that had a rocker switch in the coil wire circuit, it was located under the carpet alongside the shifter tunnel near the rear seats. impossible to find. no idea if this would be appropriate for your car, but seems like it should work. like the lojack idea.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:54 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

In all honesty, I would prefer to make a claim with agreed value insurance and go get another vette should it get stolen i.e. hopefully never recovered. Who knows what damage a thief may inflict upon a car in order to steal it and the cost to repair to make it just right again. Same for fire. If it happens, burn beyond repair. Car accident. Same. I have no emotional attachment to my vette.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

Joy riders are easily defeated. Heck, a clutch pedal will prevent that, though they may damage the car out of frustration or jealousy.

A professional thief that is looking for a C3 Corvette will get it no matter what you do.

I have an alarm on mine, primarily to stop passerbys from leaning in when top is down and to control the power locks I added remotely. That is it.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-theft protection from a young person who doesn't know things?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have DPFI on my '72 vert, no door locks either, WHY lock a vert?? so to the anti theft....the FI computer has a hidden garage door opener receiver powering a latch relay....giving power to the computer.....

so to hit the correct button on the remote, and first have the ignition ON....

I rigged another car I had with triple latch relays....first the interior lights had to be on, then ignition, then hidden button ONE, then button TWO, in sequence......anything outta that specific order and have to start over.....

Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Anti-theft protection, I use insurance.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:04 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd be more worried about vandalism than someone actually stealing it.

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anti-theft protection from a young person who doesn't know things?