C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where does the black ammeter wire connect to?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 PM
gavino
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The ammeter leads are both connected to the same power wire in the harness. But, they are connected at a fixed distance apart (around 12" or so). That length of wire between them acts as a 'current shunt' and produces a voltage drop which is proportional to the current flowing in that wire. The small voltage drop on that length of wire is sent to the ammeter which is scaled to read "AMPS".

Although that sounds complicated, the wiring is very simple: two ammeter leads run to one [main] power wire and attached at a fixed distance apart.

You cannot run those ammeter leads to ANY location on that wire or at a terminal connector and get the ammeter to read correctly. They must tie into that power lead at specific locations for the ammeter to be calibrated properly.

I understand the whole principle of the ammeter's workings. Your explanation is right on. My problem is that all my connections seem correct, I have equal voltage on both the black and black/white wires to the meter at rest. When I check the meter with a 1.5 v battery the meter pegs plus or minus, so it is working. I have a new engine wiring harness and both ammeter leads wind up on the horn relay. I am a 68 so I have a separate voltage regulator. Battery charges fine but meter doesn't move. The horn relay has two connect posts. Does it matter where the wires are attached to the bus on the horn relay? Something else maybe?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,243 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gavino
I understand the whole principle of the ammeter's workings. Your explanation is right on. My problem is that all my connections seem correct, I have equal voltage on both the black and black/white wires to the meter at rest. When I check the meter with a 1.5 v battery the meter pegs plus or minus, so it is working. I have a new engine wiring harness and both ammeter leads wind up on the horn relay. I am a 68 so I have a separate voltage regulator. Battery charges fine but meter doesn't move. The horn relay has two connect posts. Does it matter where the wires are attached to the bus on the horn relay? Something else maybe?
Maybe this schematic will help someone tell you where the wires go.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...jI1NDMyY2I3YzQ
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the harness you have is correct for your car, you should only need to connect the "available" wires (wires that are loose and to be connected to a defined location) as indicated in the instructions. The actual junctions of the ammeter leads to the main power wire in the harness are internal to the harness and cannot be seen. If you wire it correctly, apply ignition power to the system, and put an electrical load on the system (headlamps, for example), the ammeter should read the approximate AMPS used by that load.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where does the black ammeter wire connect to?