Sponsored by:

What year is this Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:54 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

This is not the first time I've been wrong!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:48 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by chazde3
Why speculate on rust before even taking a look? Snow doesn't automatically mean a rusted out heap... it could have just been moved to that spot and caught in the snow one time. Heck, my 68 sat out in the Michigan weather for something like 10-12 years. Virtually no more than surface rust on the birdcage and frame. I'm fairly certain it didnt see any salt in it's life after '72 when my dad bought it.

All I'm saying is you can't judge a car by one picture.
The bulk of posts on this forum about anything are opinions and speculation,

And we base it on lots of things,
Your convertible sitting in a decade of weather with nothing more than surface rust is to me like getting the tin compass in ones box of crackerjacks, feel like a lucky cat, most are not that fortunate, its a sad truth about c3s

Ive owned too many and been around too many vettes not to have a jaded bias against rust because most have rust and more than surface, no matter what the owner says, anyone who has done much with them knows this, some of us are not bucks up enough to toss money away on gambled like assuming its rust free,

For every one 68 like yours theres countless others that didnt fend as well and were even better cared for,

Ill admit i am completely ignorant to how the "forum" will call it,
Many cars i see with potentinal are called land fill and others i see as parts cars are called jewels, and all vice versa. I got to where i really dont care,

So if i yell about inspect it for rust then a would be buyer might check the car closer, they might see more problems than they want to deal with and pass or they might find a rust free jewel that sat in the weather a decade and jump,

The latter is a huge epic win, the forum isnt and in these cases i dont mind being jaded and paranoid or even to sound negitive if it saves a guy from a costly mistake.

Last edited by The13Bats; 02-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by drewwill
...Just thought it would be a fun challenge to guess...
Are we having fun yet?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM
drewwill
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Are we having fun yet?

Well, the guessing was fun for a little while?

I'll be back with more pics tonight. Maybe that'll help.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!
I think the 69L paint is pretty sharp looking. Always nice to have something a little different about your Corvette (there are enough red ones already!)
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
drewwill (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I sure wish the best for you AND hopefully you did the suggested rust checks before becoming infatuated......
Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM
drewwill
Instructor

Originally Posted by carriljc
I sure wish the best for you AND hopefully you did the suggested rust checks before becoming infatuated......
Thank you, I appreciate it! I pretty well got the car for a song, so if the worst case scenario comes around then I won't be out much. I'm not really planning to go frame-off or anything with it anyway (at least right now), so as long as she stays in once piece I should be good!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM
drewwill
Instructor

The previous owner has mention that he hasn't started it since November. Other than the normal sitting-for-a-while car things, is there anything specific to Corvettes that may help shake the rust off of this engine? The battery definitely needs a charge (started on that last night), and I found what I believe to be the manual choke lever on the left hand side of the dash. The gas, though a few months old, should still be good. I'll make sure all fluids are up to par before she cranks.....I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's what y'all are so great!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Pictures please!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 AM
drewwill
Instructor

Originally Posted by croaker
Pictures please!

I feel like a terrible human being. I went over there to start it last night; didn't take any pictures right away because I wanted to use it as a reward for success. However, between my girlfriend freezing her butt off in the parking lot it's in and the fact that after an hour on the battery charger it still won't crank, I had to give up for the evening and forgot to take any more pictures. I'll being going back tonight to try a few more things; it seems so close. Just need her to crank and I think she'll start. As a peace offering, I do have the following picture to share:
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

where is the car and you located
Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
...where is the car...located...
Based on the pic, I'd say it's located under about six inches of snow.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM
drewwill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Based on the pic, I'd say it's located under about six inches of snow.

That WAS a very accurate statement Mike! It's all dug out now though. and i'm in SC Wisconsin.

I was reading a couple threads over in the c3 tech section that kind of have me leaning toward the starter as the issue. I did try hitting it a few times, but not while cranking. The previous owner says the starter was replaced recently, but "new just means shiny", right? I'm going to get battery voltages tonight. Based on the fact that the dash, interior and exterior lights have all gotten brighter as I've charged the battery I'm sure it was low. The fact that the starter still won't even half crank with the (perceived, anyway) increase in voltage makes me think it may have seized up from sitting for 3-4 months. I know it's all speculation w/out numbers or pictures, but I guess I'm just thinking out loud and hoping y'all could give me a few more things to check.

I'm also wondering if it could be the neutral safety switch? The car is an auto.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Put it in nuetral and try to start it, and also put a pair of jumper cables on when you try
Old 02-15-2018, 11:27 AM
drewwill
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue by you
Put it in nuetral and try to start it, and also put a pair of jumper cables on when you try
Neutral is a great idea. I'll try that tonight right away.

As far as the cables, I've been using a jumper box. Would actual jumper cables provide more power? My other idea was to just "borrow" the battery from my Silverado for a few minutes and see if it did the trick.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:13 PM
drewwill
Instructor

Okay, so I finally got her running, but I can't seem to get the trans to shift into reverse. It's only park and drive, I don't feel like it finds neutral either. I'm letting it run now, hoping it's just cold trans fluid. Would really appreciate any other ideas though. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:26 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

How much trans fluid is in it? A lack of fluid could definitely keep it from moving. What do you know about the history of the car? Was it a running, driving car? Why was it parked?

Get notified of new replies

To What year is this Corvette?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM
drewwill
Instructor

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
How much trans fluid is in it? A lack of fluid could definitely keep it from moving. What do you know about the history of the car? Was it a running, driving car? Why was it parked?
I'm not sure about the fluid level yet, as it was getting pretty late/cold last night and she's parked on a fairly steep hill. I'm going to head back over this afternoon and roll it down the hill to a flat piece of ground and check it out. For the record, letting it warm up last night did not work. And it would only go into neutral when the engine wasn't running. As soon as you started it, you only had Park and "drive" (not sure if it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd).

The previous owner purchased the car last fall (the previous title was in North Carolina) and did drive it a half dozen times or so before he got frustrated (he's not really a classic car kinda guy). From what I understand it drove itself into that parking stall this past November and has been there ever since. I believe the straw that broke the camel's back was a mystery drain on the battery that his "mechanic" couldn't find.

I'm hoping to be back over there about 5 pm (central) tonight. Hopefully it's just a little low on fluid or the shifter's just out of whack a bit. I'll check anything else anybody can suggest also.

Here she is:
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Good luck with her!
C-3s are like a pretty wife, fun to ride but high maintenance and frustrating as hell.

P.S. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Not enough info.

Quick Reply: What year is this Corvette?