C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Autosound Soundbar install in my 76

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 265 Likes on 171 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Custom Autosound Soundbar install in my 76

I'm installing a Custom Autosound Soundbar in my 76 to use with my old Mini 8 track tape player. Anyone have any hints for the install. It says to screw into the car. What about drilling screws through carpet......seem to have a bad memory about this. I also plan to install a removable rear window and the glass tray eventually, any thoughts about this and the install. Pics and helpful hints appreciated.

Last edited by OLE442; 02-24-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:01 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I put one of those in my '66 coupe. Not sure I can clearly explain what I did, but I'll try. Took two pieces of 2x2 wooden strips. Drilled a hole in the end of each one. Got a piece of threaded rod (3/8", I think), two nuts, and two washers. Installed the nuts and washers on the rod, and slipped the wooden strips over the end. I hope you can picture it. It's an adjustable-length of 2x2. I installed it vertically between the deck and the floor in front of the compartment rear wall. Then adjusted the nuts to make sure it fits securely. Mounted the speaker assembly with screws to the wood. Obviously, you need to make two of these uprights. It's been working for me for several years, and it can all be removed with little or no evidence that it was ever there.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I have the parts from a donor 72 car, showing where to drill the holes, actually the holes are on the donor parts(left & right). I can mail them to you for the postage, I do not need them since I decided to not put the tray in my car, just sold it. PM me with address or phone number if you want pictures. AS for installing the window, it is not hard at all. you have to remove everything around the rear window, remove old rear window, drill some holes to secure the bottom brackets, drill some holes for the top brackets, install the new window seal, and then put window in to help hold the seal in place. make sure you get all the parts to install the new window, and the correct rear top trim pieces. you will not need the window trim that is in the car now, so you can sell it. It might be good to see a removable window installed and see how it removes and see the brackets in place. JMO

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 02-25-2018 at 09:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OLE442 (02-26-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 265 Likes on 171 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Still looking for info about the Custom Autosound Soundbar install in C3.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I am curious about this as well.

I just purchased one one thses as well for my 70. It seemed to be the least invasive option. I was wanting to try and mount it down between the wheel wells so I am guaranteed that it won't interfere with my rear window storage. Has anyone else attempted this?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 261 Posts

Hi folks... Apologies: resurrecting a not-toooo-old thread here.

I am redoing my 1969 interior and have been considering the Autosound Soundbar. At only 3-inches deep, it seems like a very non-intrusive solution.

I get that these are not high-end speaker; but they are not terribly expensive either.

That being said, for those who have installed this is the sound quality: mediocre, acceptable, reasonable or good? We'll leave excellent, awesome and (CENSOR)ic off the scale. Understanding that the head unit plays a big role in the sound quality as well.

Are you overall happy with it? Do you have pics of the installation?

Last edited by DorianC3; 03-15-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:45 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by DorianC3
Hi folks... Apologies: resurrecting a not-toooo-old thread here.

I am redoing my 1969 interior and have been considering the Autosound Soundbar. At only 3-inches deep, it seems like a very non-intrusive solution.

I get that these are not high-end speaker; but they are not terribly expensive either.

That being said, for those who have installed this is the sound quality: mediocre, acceptable, reasonable or good? We'll leave excellent, awesome and (CENSOR)ic off the scale. Understanding that the head unit plays a big role in the sound quality as well.

Are you overall happy with it? Do you have pics of the installation?
My Corvette had one of these units installed when I purchased it. I promptly removed the unit and installed it in the local landfill. I would say the sound is mediocre at best, I’m no audiophile so my audio desires are on the lower end of the scale. I purchased two 6x9 boxes from amazon along with some speakers that were less than $100. I drilled one hole in the speaker box then through the rear panel and put a washer and nut on the back side of the panel along with some silicone sealer, the outboard side of the speaker box rests on the wheel well hump. The installation leaves the speaker box high enough for the t tops to fit no problem and looks ok too. I used a spacer screwed into the bottom outboard corner of the box to give some height off the wheel well. Not a perfect solution by any means but easily removed and little evidence will be left behind. I can say it’s tough to work inside that small space.
Eddy
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 261 Posts

Yep - I think we are on the same page here. I am certainly no audiophile, but mediocrity doesn't work for me. All I need is something reasonable. This seems to fit the bill perfectly, thanks. And you are pleased with it? Assuming kick-panel speakers as well?

One more question - what is that bar for in the middle? Presumably stiffens things up. Worth it, or gets in the way ?

MTIA,

DC3
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by DorianC3
Yep - I think we are on the same page here. I am certainly no audiophile, but mediocrity doesn't work for me. All I need is something reasonable. This seems to fit the bill perfectly, thanks. And you are pleased with it? Assuming kick-panel speakers as well?

One more question - what is that bar for in the middle? Presumably stiffens things up. Worth it, or gets in the way ?

MTIA,

DC3
I am pleased with the sound. The car has some Pioneer dash speakers the PO installed and the rear speakers I installed, but no kick panel speakers, sounds pretty good. The project was super easy except the tight quarters.
The bar is a Sharkbar Series 1, it is for Five Point Safety Harness. It does also stiffen the chassis somewhat.
Sharkbar
Eddy

Last edited by 74_stingray; 03-16-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: add info
The following users liked this post:
DorianC3 (03-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Autosound Soundbar install in my 76

Quick Reply: Custom Autosound Soundbar install in my 76