C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for restoration bolts, nuts, hardware

Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 PM
69L71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok. Tried the Evapo Rust stuff. Did a decent job on some of the bolts. Even took it a level further by throwing them into a vibration tumbler with walnut shells. Some bolts (like bumper extension bolts) came out awesome. Some others (like front seat bar bolts/washers) still looked like crap. Maybe the plating was worse on these .

I don't mind using the original bolts, in fact I prefer to, but if I need to spend $20 in place of 8 hours in solution and 8 more in a polisher and look like crap, the $20 looks pretty reasonable....

Last edited by 69L71; 03-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Evapo-Rust works very well. To thwart future oxidation may I suggest Corrosion-X or Gibbs Brand Lubricant.

BTW, it makes absolutely no difference that these responses are to an older thread. The views previously presented are still valid and give some indication of what works and what doesn't over the years. Starting a new thread when there is an existing one on the same topic is much the same as trying to reinvent the wheel. There is much to be learned from history.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5

Evapo-Rust works very well. To thwart future oxidation may I suggest Corrosion-X or Gibbs Brand Lubricant.

BTW, it makes absolutely no difference that these responses are to an older thread. The views previously presented are still valid and give some indication of what works and what doesn't over the years. Starting a new thread when there is an existing one on the same topic is much the same as trying to reinvent the wheel. There is much to be learned from history.

Just go on Ebay and buy a bag a Citric Acid,
It's cheap, and a 1 lb bag makes tons of rust remover.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I know what you may think, but ACE Hardware has a huge selection of grade 5 and grade 8 fasteners that are perfect for replacing OEM hardware.
They also sell stainless and many coated fasteners that are direct replacement for OEM.
Ace has them and NAPA is another good source. Removing rust and grime from fastners is good as long as they are not dinged up or worn.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Actually phosphoric acid is the equivalent to Evapo. Search for a cheap source of P-acid, that will save a lot of money and it works as long as you can keep the parts wet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best source for restoration bolts, nuts, hardware