I Have Finally Driven a C3...and it wasn't good

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
I readily admit the extra bulk I put on probably effected my ingress/egress. So I think about a nice 82 in my driveway while at the gym.
I am 6'5" and 285 lbs. Yes my C3 is harder to get in and out of than my F350 for sure, but i fit comfortably. My C3 is very well sorted, I see you are up in Jersey, if you find yourself in Baltimore or DC, let me know you can take mine for a ride. It is much older but it is in excellent upgraded condition and gives a great feel of what a C3 is like in good condition (it is also a hoot to drive).

It sounds like the one you looked at just needs a little work. As a previous post mentioned, a C3 is a project no matter how nice.
The following users liked this post:
JohnRogers (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 AM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
I am 6'5" and 285 lbs. Yes my C3 is harder to get in and out of than my F350 for sure, but i fit comfortably. My C3 is very well sorted, I see you are up in Jersey, if you find yourself in Baltimore or DC, let me know you can take mine for a ride. It is much older but it is in excellent upgraded condition and gives a great feel of what a C3 is like in good condition (it is also a hoot to drive).

It sounds like the one you looked at just needs a little work. As a previous post mentioned, a C3 is a project no matter how nice.
Thanks, I might take you up on that. Might sound silly but I'm thinking even stretching might help. I stopped stretching back in 2014.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
I feel the same way PK, I paid $4,500 for mine, it wasn't perfect and it still isn't. I wouldn't sell it for $4,500.

I'll buy it for $5,000. Deal?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar

I'll buy it for $5,000. Deal?
Hey, it's a $500 profit.

Funny thing is, the guy's at work thought I was crazy paying $4,500 for a 4 year old Corvette 4 speed convertible with 27K miles and a 454 engine.
I took a gamble.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

I had a good phone conversation today. I'm going for a drive tomorrow and I believe the experience will be completely different. I'm pretty damn sure I'm buying a C3.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:54 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I had a good phone conversation today. I'm going for a drive tomorrow and I believe the experience will be completely different. I'm pretty damn sure I'm buying a C3.
So, what kind of C3 are you going to look at this time?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by Priya
So, what kind of C3 are you going to look at this time?
An 82 CE. This one I believe is very well cared for.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

82's get no love. 82 CE get all the attention. Made 567 in this color. 11,xxx miles. Have mileage log since purchase in 2000. Hadnt started since 11/17 (yea smack me) but in heated garage all winter. With **** 1/2 tank ethanol added gas, no stabil ( i think, slap me again) . 2 weeks ago, connect battery, started in few turns, warmed up and ran like a top. Orig X-fire setup ( yes the cool temp sensor upgrade on mine as well), runs like a bat outta he!! -for what-it-is. Her modded C5 sister next door blows her fkn doors off 3x. But Its a X-fire, that's what they were, and can work as they were. Their out there. And yes a fun driving time, handles great- for what it is.
SO in your search, it's a NCRS Mcllean car, & wouldn't take 20k. haha Nuts? yea, i bought a xfire vette 18 yr ago. Best of luck in your search. id give you a ride anytime for comparisons sake if i could.

ps-when I was in GM MrGoodwrench school (2 yrs) had a grey hair prof who said the only reason xfire had bad rap was "nobody knew how to work on em" , it was a good system "for the time"

Last edited by cvm; 03-28-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by cvm
82's get no love. 82 CE get all the attention. Made 567 in this color. 11,xxx miles. Have mileage log since purchase in 2000. Hadnt started since 11/17 (yea smack me) but in heated garage all winter. With **** 1/2 tank ethanol added gas, no stabil ( i think, slap me again) . 2 weeks ago, connect battery, started in few turns, warmed up and ran like a top. Orig X-fire setup ( yes the cool temp sensor upgrade on mine as well), runs like a bat outta he!! -for what-it-is. Her modded C5 sister next door blows her fkn doors off 3x. But Its a X-fire, that's what they were, and can work as they were. Their out there. And yes a fun driving time, handles great- for what it is.
SO in your search, it's a NCRS Mcllean car, & wouldn't take 20k. haha Nuts? yea, i bought a xfire vette 18 yr ago. Best of luck in your search. id give you a ride anytime for comparisons sake if i could.

ps-when I was in GM MrGoodwrench school (2 yrs) had a grey hair prof who said the only reason xfire had bad rap was "nobody knew how to work on em" , it was a good system "for the time"
THAT is a DAMN nice looking Vette!
The following users liked this post:
cvm (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have an 82, but was very lucky to find a one-owner 79, with only 9,500 miles on the clock for under $20K two years ago. It runs great, and is relatively easy to work on. If the cross-fire system presents challenges, you could always defer to a 78,79, 80.....and retain the look, with a "traditional" carb - easy to work on/repair/swap if needed. Basically, they are all the same car.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I have a 1980 yellow with almost 180k miles. Still drives great. There are things that need repaired. But it still runs on the original engine and trans. I have heard that cross fire has a lot of issues as it ages. so I would just steer clear of them. My 1980 doesn't have it as I think it was a 1982 feature. 1982 also didn't' have any manuals if I recall.

And 20k is ridiculous. Keep looking.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

I’ve driven my second C3, another 1982 CE. The experience was very different. This time I didn’t cut the test drive short for fear the brakes wouldn’t stop the Plastic Fantastic. This time around the Cross-Fire didn’t fit ‘n sputter, I was confident it wouldn’t stall at the intersection. Getting in and out didn’t feel as laborious this time. I haven’t changed and neither has the C3, but you get used to cramming yourself in. I enjoyed my test drive and wanted to take the car home. Yet I didn’t let my enthusiasm over ride my common sense.

Gripe areas: The A/C wasn’t cold, I’m not sure the defrost setting worked either. The CE hatch handle broke off, the driver side of the hatch was not secure but the passenger side was. There was a small puddle of oil on the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. I passed on the car for now with the understanding those items will be addressed. The car for all signs indicate 35,000 miles.

Shifting from neutral to drive the *** squats down, normal?

There were small annoying cracks on some interior trim items but it is a 36 year old car, so that is not considered a deal breaker. Paint was real nice, unexpected blemishes on the front and rear facia. Weather stripping seemed in good shape and soft.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I’ve driven my second C3, another 1982 CE. The experience was very different. This time I didn’t cut the test drive short for fear the brakes wouldn’t stop the Plastic Fantastic. This time around the Cross-Fire didn’t fit ‘n sputter, I was confident it wouldn’t stall at the intersection. Getting in and out didn’t feel as laborious this time. I haven’t changed and neither has the C3, but you get used to cramming yourself in. I enjoyed my test drive and wanted to take the car home. Yet I didn’t let my enthusiasm over ride my common sense.

Gripe areas: The A/C wasn’t cold, I’m not sure the defrost setting worked either. The CE hatch handle broke off, the driver side of the hatch was not secure but the passenger side was. There was a small puddle of oil on the rear passenger side of the intake manifold. I passed on the car for now with the understanding those items will be addressed. The car for all signs indicate 35,000 miles.

Shifting from neutral to drive the *** squats down, normal?

There were small annoying cracks on some interior trim items but it is a 36 year old car, so that is not considered a deal breaker. Paint was real nice, unexpected blemishes on the front and rear facia. Weather stripping seemed in good shape and soft.
*** squatting down is normal.ce hatch handle broke and oil puddle not normal

Quick Reply: I Have Finally Driven a C3...and it wasn't good