Sponsored by:

New paint means new badging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:51 PM
macrohard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New paint means new badging?

Finally got new paint on the 75. Going through re-assembly and trying to determine whether to go with new badging, or originals with some patina.

Thoughts?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the emblems will look 100% worse against new paint. replace them with Trim Parts brand and for get about. and just about anything else with wear is going to stick out like a sore thumb too
Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Absolutely true. There is no upside to old emblems with patina against new paint, they don't go together.

Another concern can be iffy quality glass. I got my '69 painted and after seeing the stunning new black paint, that "OK" windshield suddenly looked awful up against it.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by macrohard
Finally got new paint on the 75. Going through re-assembly and trying to determine whether to go with new badging, or originals with some patina.

Thoughts?
Has to be new or refinish your existing? I did front and back on my '72 with new badges from Ecklers and they are very good reproductions.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by brit vet
Has to be new or refinish your existing? I did front and back on my '72 with new badges from Ecklers and they are very good reproductions.

more then likely they came from Trim Parts. the ones who bought the tooling from GM to produce emblems
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

When I painted mine, there was no question that all the emblems had to be replaced. I agree with above posts that old emblems on new paint will look bad.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree that's why I've put off painting my car.
Everything else is going to look bad against a new paint job.
Just replace and be happy.
Marshal
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Just as another idea, what I did with mine when I got my new paint job. The original badging with these cars were poorly cast chrome, with lots of flashing not trimmed...edges with cast marks etc. So I decided to take a file, sandpaper, and finally Scotchbrite to them. It took them from looking like junk to a nice high quality piece. Of course, when you do this to chrome, it turns it into a stainless / pewter appearance, which in my opinion matches well with my aluminum wheels, rocker panels, door trims, and other stainless parts on the car.

Then, I could have painted in the white, black and red colors, but since my car is essentially three color tones...i.e. orange, black and brushed metal, I decided to continue that theme and paint all the inserts in the emblem flat black....I like it. Just an idea.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-18-2018 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PainfullySlow (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM
macrohard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear new badging is the way to go.

Iwasmenowhesgone, nice work! Very clean and creative!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Just as another idea, what I did with mine when I got my new paint job. The original badging with these cars were poorly cast chrome, with lots of flashing not trimmed...edges with cast marks etc. So I decided to take a file, sandpaper, and finally Scotchbrite to them. It took them from looking like junk to a nice high quality piece. Of course, when you do this to chrome, it turns it into a stainless / pewter appearance, which in my opinion matches well with my aluminum wheels, rocker panels, door trims, and other stainless parts on the car.

Then, I could have painted in the white, black and red colors, but since my car is essentially three color tones...i.e. orange, black and brushed metal, I decided to continue that theme and paint all the inserts in the emblem flat black....I like it. Just an idea.

Are they actually pure chrome? I have some ideas to do with mine, but can't do that if it's chrome plated.
Yours look amazing btw!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dusky
Are they actually pure chrome? I have some ideas to do with mine, but can't do that if it's chrome plated.
Yours look amazing btw!
They are diecast pot metal. Chrome is only a few thousands thick.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Default Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dusky
Yours look amazing btw!
Its just thin chrome plating, but with the file / sandpaper / scotchbrite (red) treatment, and finally some Mothers Polish it ends up with a stainless / pewter appearance, that has remained the same for over two years now.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-19-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I clear coated mine after I was done to give that shine some protection. Ike
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone

That looks absolutely stunning! Very well done!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
That looks absolutely stunning! Very well done!
Thanks, coming from you means a lot with the level of work you are doing......we think alike. Its a burden, but we suffer through it. Ha! But really, small details and styling are an art that many do not "see" when they look at it, and require a certain mindset to apply it. It can drive you crazy, but when you hit it right, its very pleasing. I often times suffer through days, months or even years struggling with an idea, and then a bulb goes off, or I see something that turns my mind in direction, and then it suddenly comes to me. Its very satisfying despite the frustration and all part of making my Corvette special to me, and not just another restoration / rebuild.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-21-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New paint means new badging?

Quick Reply: New paint means new badging?