Replacing Seatbelts on a 69 C3

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 PM
BlankSlate
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replacing Seatbelts on a 69 C3

Hey guys!

Just got a 69 corvette and one of the first things I want to do is modernize the seatbelts so it's a safer ride. The current seatbelts are originals, seen below. They come undone easily and are loose.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? Is there any way to put a modern shoulder-lap combo belt in? Could I bolt new seatbelt spools onto the area of the interior just above and to the side of the seats? (pictured below)

If not, how can I get a sturdy, safe seatbelt with the setup I currently have?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:20 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

If you decide to replace your belts, I might be interested in buying your shoulder belts. I've, got a 69 vert that I want to add original shoulder belts to.

For new belts, Corvette Mods sells a set.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Cars with those types of belts allow you to wear a seat belt without a shoulder restraint, I like that option. Your 69 should have chrome thingamabobs under the headrest to keep the shoulder belts in the extended position for ease of use. T
Old 03-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

One the slightly newer C3s, people (myself included seat-belt-camaro-firebird-conversion) have converted to single 3pt belts. Because your retractors mount vertically rather than horizontally you wouldn't be able to use the F-body rear belts but you should be able to find an equivalent setup. Probably more common than the horizontal style.
I think I've also seen somewhere that someone made "L" brackets to mount a set of horizontal retracts on a 68/69

M

Last edited by Mooser; 03-25-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi BS,
"Could I bolt new seatbelt spools onto the area of the interior just above and to the side of the seats? (pictured below)"

I believe you'll find that from 74 (coupe)-77 the shoulder belt did use a mounting point high up on the lock pillar as you show in your photo... but it wasn't for the retractor... IT stayed back on the wheel housing where there is a proper underbody anchor for it.

Perhaps they might still be a possibility for you?
The difficulty in the changes you're considering may be finding properly reinforced mounting points for the installation.

Regards,
Alan

Old 03-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Tim69L46
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The simplest solution would be to replace what you've got with a newer version. I had the same issue and this may be an option. After doing some research I decided on a set of C3 aftermarket belts that bolt in to the stock locations but have the updated rear belts with the inertia locks. They're are others but I chose a set made by Seatbelt solutions. They are manufactured and tested to meet current safety standards. They offer both the early and late 69 style belts in economy and reproduction styles. I bought the GM restoration style. They are nice quality. The belt hardware is different than original but the only style offered by any sets I found and they come with non-GM correct mounting hardware. I bought the GM correct shouldered bolts and lap belt nuts to use instead. A number of vendors sell them. There is also a 68-74 3 point conversion set available but I'm un familiar with what the installation entails Zip Corvette is one vendor that offers it not sure who makes it. So lots of options.

Regardless of how you proceed I'd recommend you put the old ones in a box with the other parts you remove. At some point you may decide to restore the car and you will kick yourself for getting rid of them. They will be very difficult to find and very expensive if you do. I'd also recommend use lots of penetrant before removing the fasteners from inside and under the car and that you chase (not tap) the threads of the mounting plate holes and studs before reinstalling the bolts and nuts. The fasteners are bolted to plates attached to the fiberglass with rivets so you do not want to freeze a bolt or nut and snap the fiberglass. A thread restorer set will be a very handy tool as you work on your car. Good luck with your project. Tim
Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Tim69L46
Advanced

This will probably show up twice not sure where the first one went off to So I apologize now.

The simplest solution would be to replace what you've got with a newer version. I had the same issue and this may be an option. After doing some research I decided on a set of C3 aftermarket belts that bolt in to the stock locations but have the updated rear belts with the inertia locks. They're are others but I chose a set made by Seatbelt solutions. They are manufactured and tested to meet current safety standards. They offer both the early and late 69 style belts in economy and reproduction styles. I bought the GM restoration style. They are nice quality. The belt hardware is different than original but the only style offered by any sets I found and they come with non-GM correct mounting hardware. I bought the GM correct shouldered bolts and lap belt nuts to use instead. A number of vendors sell them. There is also a 3 point 68-74 3 point conversion set available but I'm un familiar with what the installation entails Zip Corvette is one vendor that offers it not sure who makes it. So lots of options.

Regardless of how you proceed I'd recommend you put the old ones in a box with the other parts you remove. At some point you may decide to restore the car and you will kick yourself for getting rid of them. They will be very difficult to find and very expensive if you do. I'd also recommend use lots of penetrant before removing the fasteners from inside and under the car and that you chase (not tap) the threads of the mounting plate holes and studs before reinstalling the bolts and nuts. The fasteners are bolted to plates attached to the fiberglass with rivets so you do not want to freeze a bolt or nut and snap the fiberglass. A thread restorer set will be a very handy tool as you work on your car. Good luck with your project. Tim
Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
If you decide to replace your belts, I might be interested in buying your shoulder belts. I've, got a 69 vert that I want to add original shoulder belts to.

For new belts, Corvette Mods sells a set.
Whatever you do avoid Corvettemods! I bought a set of their seat belts. They don't fit right, and Corvettemods doesn't care. They insisted they were the right belts for my '70 but they are way too long. Barely usable! There were so many complaints about Corvettemods that they are no long a vendor on the forum.

Last edited by Raphiki; 03-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:51 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Just to show you, how they are mounted in your 69

Last edited by c3_dk; 03-26-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

I second the motion on the Seatbelt Solutions upgrade.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:48 AM
BlankSlate
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys! Update on this. Thanks to some of the great advice I have gotten on here, I was able to pretty easily remove my seatbelts. These are, in fact, the originals right? Wanted to post so you guys could check them out. Any idea how much they are worth? I think I saw a similar original set on Wilcox for 300? Could be wrong.

And lastly, Seatbelt Solutions seems to be the favorite suggested here. Any other brands I should check out? Again, I'd prefer a modern (shoulder and lap connected) belt with a classic look. At the very least, it'd be nice to have a retractable and tight lap belt.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

My only complaint with the Seatbelt Solutions upgrade kit, is that the spools in the retractors tend to squeak when you move around a bit as a belted occupant. Can't hear it with the car running, mind you. But it's bothersome when it's off, or if the T-Tops are on with the car running.
Anyone encounter this? And maybe have a spot to lube-spray?
Thanks,
Old 04-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Tim69L46
Advanced

Nice set of early 69 belts. I'd put them in a box until you see if you like the one piece set up they will just become more valuable . As I noted earlier Zip's has a one piece option. Call and talk to them about installation, manufacturer and quality. I've found them to be very helpful and upfront . There are a number of sources but not all seat belts are made or tested the same. It's a personnel choice was to what you are going to trust your life with. Do some research. Tim
Old 12-18-2023, 09:36 PM
Dogmark
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a set of seat and shoulder lap belts from Corvette Central 288 + shipping
Old 12-19-2023, 11:20 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogmark
I just bought a set of seat and shoulder lap belts from Corvette Central 288 + shipping
You are answering a post from almost 6 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Seatbelts on a 69 C3

Quick Reply: Replacing Seatbelts on a 69 C3