Sponsored by:

neighbor complaining about my Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:18 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by twinpack
I agree with this. Just because we have these cars we don't need to be obnoxious about it. I never really understood people with obnoxiously load vehicles. At the track fine, but in residential zoned areas we need to consider others. I'm just glad you're not my neighbor. We never know the situations of our neighbors. I learned this young when playing with dirt bikes at my parents home. My neighbor came out and layed into me for the noise, I was pretty ruud back then and told him. It was latter I learned his wife was dying a slow death at home and my noise made her very uncomfortable. He never told me, I found out through my cusin. I will alway respect and consider others. Especially my neighbors.
I agree, the excessive noise is unnecessary. Your car wasn't born loud, you either made it that way or chose to keep it that way. The price responsible people pay is to respect other people's right to a certain quality of life. There are noise ordinances for a reason. I'd respectfully ask you to wait until a reasonable time to wake me in the morning. If you chose not to respect my request I believe you might be waking from your sleep much earlier than 8:00 AM to the sound of my circular saw in my driveway.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I always believe it's not a good idea to antagonize a neighbor if possible over anything because you never know what type of revenge it could lead to.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Duntov
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

In my neighborhood anything after 7 am is fair game per HOA and county. Some cars are noisier than others. I know original cars with side pipers weren’t quiet. If you have been around L88s they are also louder with the off-road mufflers, which were optional on other Corvettes. Likely the guy either was having a bad day or something. I fire up my big block, and I have neighbors giving thumbs up. Mine rattles the walls in the house, and it’s stock. I have Walker super turbo mufflers. Still sounds better than the teenagers Honda with the fart pipe.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:44 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I was so glad when I met my new neighbours a few months ago (on my driveway side) and one of the first things they said was "I hope you don't mind noisy exhaust" Made my day! I am always respectful in that I drive slowly and at low revs around home to minimise noise, but all my cars have great sounding exhausts...

The other thing is that what is 'loud' varies hugely between individuals. All my cars are within legal noise limits, and are not uncomfortably loud (unlike some I've had over the years), but many non-car people would regard them as loud. As already stated, there are many that would regard stock c3s as loud, yet they're still much quieter than various power tools or mowers/chainsaws.

Ultimately, while running an engine on open headers at 1am might be rather disrespectful to the neighbours, everyone will upset and be upset by their neighbours at some point. A little understanding on both sides goes a long way.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:18 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by pewter50vette
Worked in construction for 30 plus years , some cities have a start time requirement most are 8:00 o'clock , i do not think 8:00 is too early for any noise
Especially in the summer here. People start mowing their lawns early to avoid the heat. I live in a subdivision of enthusiasts and we pretty much all get along. I have more of a beef with strangers that pop up in our neighborhood trying to sell stuff. I've been in my garage working on the Vette and have looked up to see people walking down my driveway towards me.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:27 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

I would do the rite thing and not go to work at 8/30 of a morning .

I would leave at 4/30 and not to disturb the neighbours at the ungodly hour of 8.30.

Now
There is another way of looking at this
The deep baritone notes of a chev in the morning is music to the ears of the cultured enthusiast

Last edited by bfit; 03-27-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Crazy people

Somene at our HOA meeting proposed we have a covenant preventing grass cutting after 5:00. Luckily that failed when some of us explained that we cut the grass after work. Then someone else proposed we petition the city to stop the golf coure grass cutting until 9:00. Note to any of you who don' play golf but want to live on a golf course -they cu the grass every moring. But another lady walking her dog likes the sound of my car. Reminds her of her brothers car (too long ago)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 AM
cocodrillo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
A statement like that was irrelevant about 30 years ago.....yet people just can't help themselves. Try to catch up.
Take a joke man. I have several very loud Ducatis. I always push them round the corner before an early start-up. They leak oil too.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:52 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
This morning, I started my 71 Vette to move it out of the garage to get my 14 Vette out to go to work. I put the 71 back in the garage and started pulling out of my driveway in the 14 and suddenly, there is some guy standing at the end of my driveway. It was 8:12AM. I roll my window down and ask, "Can I help you?". He says, can you start your cars quieter? I'm like, WHAT! I said, "They're Corvettes, they don't start quieter". Besides, I said, it's after 8. He was pissed and I said, "Wait until I start the Harley up." What a freaking tool bag. We've lived in our house on Siesta Key for 12 years without even a peep from any of our neighbors and now this jerk is upset that my cars are too loud.
If you have a smart phone you can download a decibel app and see you how much noise you are actually making. I was surprised to find that my '70 small block was 105db at idle with its current engine setup, the mufflers are not stock but not straight through either. I have had an additional pair of resonators fitted ahead of the mufflers to quiet it a little, the noise limit for cars here is 92db and I'm still above that but I haven't tested it again yet.
We live in a quiet cul de sac and I guess I'm the noisiest at our end of the street, the neighbour two houses down would be next he races a stock car.
One of the rubbish collection services makes its pick up in our street at 7;15am every Friday which is annoying so I'm mindful of the amount of noise I make.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
I agree, the excessive noise is unnecessary. Your car wasn't born loud, you either made it that way or chose to keep it that way. The price responsible people pay is to respect other people's right to a certain quality of life. There are noise ordinances for a reason. I'd respectfully ask you to wait until a reasonable time to wake me in the morning. If you chose not to respect my request I believe you might be waking from your sleep much earlier than 8:00 AM to the sound of my circular saw in my driveway.
Oh my gosh GTFU.

The o/p fires his vette up after 8am to just move it out of the way so he can go to work. It takes maybe a couple minutes and people have to freak the heck out. It's only for a couple minutes, not a lifetime.

Jeez, what the heck do you complainers do when there is a thunderstorm with lightening that goes on for an hour, go out in the backyard and crank up your leafblower or chain saw. Or how bout those who lose their power in a storm and have a generator in their back yard running all night to keep their family warm especially grandma who is sick. Do you go over to their house and complain.

Come guys it was just for a couple minutes, lighten up.
The following 4 users liked this post by scrappy76:
C376FL (03-27-2018), Grumpy 427 (03-27-2018), Metalhead140 (03-27-2018), SRQStingray (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

OP, were you revving your engine while warming up the car? I'm guessing that's what the neighbor was objecting to.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
...I always believe it's not a good idea to antagonize a neighbor if possible over anything because you never know what type of revenge it could lead to...
I agree.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Should have told him you were sorry for waking him in such a surprising manner. From then on you'd blow the horn three times first so he would be ready for the engine noises.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Nosey Neighbors

I've never had a problem with my neighbors until I got my Corvette.

It isn't that it's loud. The problem is they don't like my car to be up on jack stands on my driveway for any period of time. I've done a bunch of mods which require my car to be up to work on. Sometimes for months at a time.

The neighbors wander over like they are interested in my car and then the question comes...

"How long is your car going to be laid up this time?"

Craig
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Oh my gosh GTFU.

The o/p fires his vette up after 8am to just move it out of the way so he can go to work. It takes maybe a couple minutes and people have to freak the heck out. It's only for a couple minutes, not a lifetime.

Jeez, what the heck do you complainers do when there is a thunderstorm with lightening that goes on for an hour, go out in the backyard and crank up your leafblower or chain saw. Or how bout those who lose their power in a storm and have a generator in their back yard running all night to keep their family warm especially grandma who is sick. Do you go over to their house and complain.

Come guys it was just for a couple minutes, lighten up.
I'm happy to discuss the issue and take other viewpoints into account but please don't insult my intelligence by attempting to compare an act of God like a thunderstorm or the need to run a generator to keep warm in a power outage with an entirely voluntary and optional desire to make a racket with a loud aftermarket vehicle exhaust first thing in the morning.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't complain on the odd louder car at 8am, that's fair time. My old neighbor would load his fat *** old lady on his harley every Saturday at 7am and have to give it 3/4 throttle to make up steep driveway. I had issues with him. Now I've always had louder cars buy not hard to quiet them down. I parked on street if knew had to leave before sun up.
Current neighbors 2 houses down received a 230am visit last year... Brand new side by side with extremely loud exhaust.
They put quiet exhaust on it since and can't hardly hear run outside even.
OP what I do is remember the complaint and next time he's leaf blowing at 8am call him out...
Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
I'm happy to discuss the issue and take other viewpoints into account but please don't insult my intelligence by attempting to compare an act of God like a thunderstorm or the need to run a generator to keep warm in a power outage with an entirely voluntary and optional desire to make a racket with a loud aftermarket vehicle exhaust first thing in the morning.
It was after 8AM. I was moving it to get my C7 with stock exhaust out to go to work. The C3 was idling in the driveway for 2-3 minutes. Then I put it in the back of the garage. I start the C3, with chambered exhaust, about 4 times a month, usually after 10AM. Yesterday was an exception.

Get notified of new replies

To neighbor complaining about my Vettes

Old 03-27-2018, 10:03 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

It was after 8AM. I was moving it to get my C7 with stock exhaust out to go to work. The C3 was idling in the driveway for 2-3 minutes. Then I put it in the back of the garage. I start the C3, with chambered exhaust, about 4 times a month, usually after 10AM. Yesterday was an exception.
The way I read your original post it sounded like you were indignant that anyone should object to your loud exhaust period. If it truly is that rare of an occurrence then the neighbor was out of line. I would have explained that, apologized for whatever, and moved on.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

This morning, I started my 71 Vette to move it out of the garage to get my 14 Vette out to go to work. I put the 71 back in the garage and started pulling out of my driveway in the 14 and suddenly, there is some guy standing at the end of my driveway. It was 8:12AM. I roll my window down and ask, "Can I help you?". He says, can you start your cars quieter? I'm like, WHAT! I said, "They're Corvettes, they don't start quieter". Besides, I said, it's after 8. He was pissed and I said, "Wait until I start the Harley up." What a freaking tool bag. We've lived in our house on Siesta Key for 12 years without even a peep from any of our neighbors and now this jerk is upset that my cars are too loud.
Yup what a tool bag, I think you need to start your 71 every morning at 8am for a couple weeks straight! That should get his attention.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:40 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default driveway

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I've never had a problem with my neighbors until I got my Corvette.

It isn't that it's loud. The problem is they don't like my car to be up on jack stands on my driveway for any period of time. I've done a bunch of mods which require my car to be up to work on. Sometimes for months at a time.

The neighbors wander over like they are interested in my car and then the question comes...

"How long is your car going to be laid up this time?"

Craig
Sorry but I don't blame the neighbours for not wanting a vehicle sitting on jack stand in the laneway for extended periods of time whether it was a vette or an old pickup

Quick Reply: neighbor complaining about my Vettes