C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn button, loose and falls off.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:33 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Horn button, loose and falls off.

1972..Horn button will not stay on and when I get it to do that it is loose and falls off. All the column horn parts are new. Any thing I can I can do for this.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 540 vette
1972..Horn button will not stay on and when I get it to do that it is loose and falls off. All the column horn parts are new. Any thing I can I can do for this.
Well first off.. the imported upper contacts are junk.. Normally what we'll do in my shop is to take the imported one apart, steal the plastic rivets and use the original upper section, the insulator (between the halves) and use the lower repro section to make this thing work properly. This might involve wire wheeling the original upper button retainer but it seems to work flawlessly when we do it. Another unfortunate thing is that the only contacts available today are the imported version and like I said above.. they are junk unless you use them for parts.

If you look at the plastic rivet, you can take an awe and push out the expander... once this is done then take your old upper (the part that holds the button) and clean it up... Use this in combination with the new china lower parts and you'll have a functioning upper horn contact.

Willcox
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Well first off.. the imported upper contacts are junk.. Normally what we'll do in my shop is to take the imported one apart, steal the plastic rivets and use the original upper section, the insulator (between the halves) and use the lower repro section to make this thing work properly. This might involve wire wheeling the original upper button retainer but it seems to work flawlessly when we do it. Another unfortunate thing is that the only contacts available today are the imported version and like I said above.. they are junk unless you use them for parts.

If you look at the plastic rivet, you can take an awe and push out the expander... once this is done then take your old upper (the part that holds the button) and clean it up... Use this in combination with the new china lower parts and you'll have a functioning upper horn contact.

Willcox

Unfortunatly I don't have my old one and will have to figure out a way to make the new one work or find an original one for a tilt tele column.

Get notified of new replies

To Horn button, loose and falls off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn button, loose and falls off.