C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep original drivetrain in storage or sell so another C3 may live?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Keep original drivetrain in storage or sell so another C3 may live?

I'm going hog wild building my 1975 L48/M20 coupe. I have yet to post an "intro" story but I will at some point and time in the near future. Until then I'm ordering any and everything to make it what I want.

My car is an all original 1-owner silver/silver example with 66k miles on the clock. Runs/drives/operates pretty much as it should right now today. Of course I chose this one to mod the daylights out of haha.

A new crate motor and Tremec 5-speed are going in. I even have a nos bell housing I'll be using. That means the entire drivetrain will sit there for years/decades in my parents barn. Of course at this point I say I'll never sell my C3 but who can ever predict the future with actual certainty?

Would a future owner even care if the car had the original motor/trans? Is a known good L48 with B-W Super T10 combo worth anything to anybody today? You could literally bolt it in a car and go. Would not even need a clutch. At this point the car is still together... a buyer could sample the goods before they plop down the dough.

My apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam. Any thoughts, suggestions or other pontificating please let it fly.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Make it yours & enjoy-most stock drivetrains pulled never make thier way back in the car. If it were me just sell it and keep your garage floor clear.
Cant see taking a 5 spd and newer motor out to put something old in.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Kie
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Make it yours & enjoy-most stock drivetrains pulled never make thier way back in the car. If it were me just sell it and keep your garage floor clear.
Cant see taking a 5 spd and newer motor out to put something old in.
Oh I am for certain making it mine. No problems anticipated when I need to enjoy it either haha.

Thanks! Agreed... life is about having "less stuff".

What should I ask for the package if I sell it? No idea what this stuff goes for.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kie
I'm going hog wild building my 1975 L48/M20 coupe. I have yet to post an "intro" story but I will at some point and time in the near future. Until then I'm ordering any and everything to make it what I want.

My car is an all original 1-owner silver/silver example with 66k miles on the clock. Runs/drives/operates pretty much as it should right now today. Of course I chose this one to mod the daylights out of haha.

A new crate motor and Tremec 5-speed are going in. I even have a nos bell housing I'll be using. That means the entire drivetrain will sit there for years/decades in my parents barn. Of course at this point I say I'll never sell my C3 but who can ever predict the future with actual certainty?

Would a future owner even care if the car had the original motor/trans? Is a known good L48 with B-W Super T10 combo worth anything to anybody today? You could literally bolt it in a car and go. Would not even need a clutch. At this point the car is still together... a buyer could sample the goods before they plop down the dough.

My apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam. Any thoughts, suggestions or other pontificating please let it fly.

Sell it! It isn't going to appreciate to some crazy value in this lifetime. Then use the money for something you will enjoy.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Kie
My car is an all original 1-owner silver/silver example
Nice!

As far as the drivetrain goes I'm another vote for selling it, I think its doubtful anyone down the road will want it over what you're replacing it with.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Kie
Pro

You guys are awesome thanks for lightening my load as they say lol.

if someone is fast enough on Seattle craigs they can come give it a thrash before it all comes outta there.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 PM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a growing demand for resto -mod cars so for the run of the mill Vette's out there with a stock 350 small block ,if you want to upgrade the engine and transmission it will certainly make it a better car to drive and probably won't affect the values
Old 04-05-2018, 10:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

On the other hand........in 2025 the drivetrain will be 50 years old.....if the drivetrain is stored properly you may want to put it into a second project car "just for the nostalgia".
Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

As soon as you sell it a 66 Nova roller will fall in your lap. OTOH if you keep it forever no clean body needing that drivetrain will ever come along. So sell it!!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't think your original drive train sadly is worth much, and therefore it would be foolish to sell it. I think you should keep all of it as you never know what you might want to do in the future, or what a potential future owner might want.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Kie
Pro

Originally Posted by derekderek
As soon as you sell it a 66 Nova roller will fall in your lap. OTOH if you keep it forever no clean body needing that drivetrain will ever come along. So sell it!!
Are you some sort of prophet?

My car came with 2 old oem rally wheels with studded snow tires from the 70's. Old but had never been used. I listed them for sale and a couple days later a guy came to buy them. Lo and behold he was towing a car trailer with a '66 Nova roller (no drivetrain) on it!

Turns out he is a huge GM fiend. He's building a '63 split window/LS conversion and a ton of other stuff. I mentioned I had the complete drivetrain out of my '75 and his eyes lit up. This was just a couple days back. An hour ago he left my folks place loaded for bear after tossing me a stack of benjamins. Can't make this stuff up!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Kie; 04-20-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Thats awesome! I too have many original parts left from my restomod build. I keep waiting for that roller Camaro to pop up for sale.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:11 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUqOTE=cuisinartvette;1596936319]Make it yours & enjoy-most stock drivetrains pulled never make thier way back in the car. If it were me just sell it and keep your garage floor clear.
Cant see taking a 5 spd and newer motor out to put something old in.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Use the proceeds to fund your new parts and upgrades. Build it to drive it.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I see mine as a motor that wants a car around it - a roller Camaro would be nice - doubt that there are any at this point. Maybe a Firebird? I always wanted a Rockford lookalike.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:08 AM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm, this is a great thread. In my case I had built a big block for a '72 El Camino that I used to own. After building a really stout 468, full studs, full forged components, roller cam, hi perf heads, etc. I started thinking I really needed a better (cooler) vehicle to load that into. I was thinking either Camaro or Corvette. So I wanted to find a NOM candidate to help with purchase price obviously. Naturally I find an original drive train Vette. In spite of that and the fact that it was still largely unassembled I chose it. It was just so solid of a car I couldn't pass it up. In any case, my intent has been to keep the original 327 (only recently discovered to be a 350 HP version!) to add to the value at some point if I sell it. So the 327 which the PO had rebuilt is sitting under the steps in my garage. After reading this thread I am now seriously thinking that I should maybe reconsider and sell this off to someone who could put it to good use. Would someone who would want to buy my Vette ever want to pull that big block and drop in the original engine? It is a good question.

Last edited by 68/BB; 04-21-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep original drivetrain in storage or sell so another C3 may live?

Quick Reply: Keep original drivetrain in storage or sell so another C3 may live?