Sponsored by:

Oh CRAP! slow floor board on a 75'

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Jetglow
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Oh CRAP! slow floor board on a 75'

Was removing old carpet and found the part of the fiberglass floorboard was soft...then was able to poke 3 fingers through with ease in one spot...
looked under the car where my fingers went through and looks like a bunch a fiberglass hair underneath on one spot.

Now....how hard is it to reinforce/or repair the floorboard and what would have caused this?

I bought the car used recently...I'm bummed

Meant to type SOFT floorboard .....not slow

Last edited by Jetglow; 04-07-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jg,
NOT the end of the world! Don't be too bummed!!

The damage to the underbody is often caused by driving over something.... a curb, parking bumper, etc.
The manner in which the damage is repaired will depend on just where the damage is and how extensive it is.
There are certainly folks here that can give advice and guidance.

Some photos of the damage will get things going.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-07-2018, 05:30 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

You can order fiberglass flat panel in different sizes and thicknesses on the internet. Watch a couple YouTube videos about repairing a HOLE in fiberglass. Pick up some supplies at an auto parts store.....and your ready to work on it.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

That's not a big deal. Fiberglass work is relatively easy to do and being under the car you don't need to make a mirror smooth surface.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:43 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I agree. When I got mine, ages ago, there were chunks punched out of the floor, which I couldn't see ......it's the place where I first practiced patching fiberglass.... I got carried away so it's pretty thick, good thing that's towards the "outside" because otherwise it could interfere with the gas pedal. It's held up for 30+ years and it was my first experiment.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Wish I could post pics....the hole is located at the corner where it transitions from the floor to the seat and I can feel it is soft in about a 1 foot squar area. I think the repair needs to be done from bottom and top and I don’t think it needs to be pretty...just sturdy. I’m going to take it in for a professional estimate since I’ve never worked with fiberglass and probably need a lift to get at it properly. I spoke with the seller and they seem to want to work with me on this after I pointed it out. I will tell you more depending on whether they honor resolving this or not.... I’m guessing the damage was probably done by a jack in the wrong place....

Last edited by Jetglow; 04-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

What's stopping you from posting pictures?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Seems photo bucket doesn’t work... so who should I use to post pics?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

IN the reply box you're typing in notice the square yellow icon at the top with the mountain in it. Click on that and you can select photos from your computer and it will load them into the forum and display them when you hit post reply
The following users liked this post:
Jetglow (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Jetglow
Wish I could post pics....the hole is located at the corner where it transitions from the floor to the seat and I can feel it is soft in about a 1 foot squar area. I think the repair needs to be done from bottom and top and I don’t think it needs to be pretty...just sturdy. I’m going to take it in for a professional estimate since I’ve never worked with fiberglass and probably need a lift to get at it properly. I spoke with the seller and they seem to want to work with me on this after I pointed it out. I will tell you more depending on whether they honor resolving this or not.... let’s just say I got the car from a seller who had inspected it on a lift took photos and did not report it when they had it on the lift. It was there when they sent me photos of the undercarriage... but the photo was at a distance where it was not obvious and damage was never mentioned. When I discovered the hole I went back to the photos and could make out what you think would be dirt in th photo, but was an obvious damage if you were actually underneath unless your an idiot. I’m guessing the damage was probably done by a jack in the wrong place....
I think I am with you. If it is soft in a 1 foot square area anywhere near your seat it sure shouldn't be driven until you know your seat won't fall through the soft spot. Not surprised you would find some shoddy fiberglass work, lots of folks do fiberglass repair because it is easy to do. That doesn't mean you have to repair this yourself, especially if you feel it could be an unsafe driving situation.
Unless you are having the urge to fix it yourself I am with you, find a reputable repair facility that has worked with fiberglass and get it done correctly.

Best of success in your search and repair. Enjoy your car.

David
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Old 04-08-2018, 09:14 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if your going to do this your self its easy,but ichy,,

your going to need to sand/grind the upper floor and wash with laquer thinner,

then on the underside,
take a sheet metal plate and make the floor flat again,[you might need to use a floor jack to add a little tension to it],
now cut the fiberglass mat to the sizes you need[2-3 sheets],

get a couple 2 qt plastic paint mixing cups,add some resin and hardner,then brush some of the mix on the floor,ad 1 layer of fiberglass mat,now take the brush and work out the air bubbles
repeat these steps to add the 2-3 other flberglass mats,

let dry over-night

now take off the under pieces of steel sheet,grind and wash with thinner

now,add glass as you did on top [1 layer should do] as your just sealing things up

you will need
1.fiberglass mat [1 package 3'x5'?]
2.1-2 qts fiberglass resin
3.2-3 2'' cheap paint brushes
4.1 gal paint thinner [or acetone]
5.a couple 2qt plastic paint mixing cups
6.real cloth shop rags
7.piece of sheet metal [maybe 1'x1'] what ever size to hold-up floor
8.if you can find a 2'' to 4'' fiberglass roller it would help to get a better job[it really works the mat into place]

and some roofing paper to cover your garage floor,resin seems to go everywhere,and try to cover anything inside the car too[resin doesn't come off after it drys
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Jetglow
Racer

And here I thought...."well I don't have steel floorboards so I don't have to worry about holes in my floor...LOL"
I'm tempted to do it and I think I have the skill and tools....but....
Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Yeah, it's not a big deal. Get bunches of disposable gloves, those little cardboard containers, mixing sticks..... stuff you can discard instead of trying to save. Wear long sleeves and zip your work clothes up to the neck. Use eye protection ... you don't want to deal with the itch. The rest is fairly simple.... you can find various youtube videos on generic fiberglass repair.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

That patch with the red sealant is exactly the same as in my '75 ragtop. I always thought it was an "after the fact" repair to damage caused by a blocked and overheated catalytic. Factory mod for the new for '75 catalytic converter? Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Originally Posted by mkdesign
That patch with the red sealant is exactly the same as in my '75 ragtop. I always thought it was an "after the fact" repair to damage caused by a blocked and overheated catalytic. Factory mod for the new for '75 catalytic converter? Anyone know for sure?
Ha ha....I was thinking the same thing on mine..
Mine is a 75 ragtop too

Last edited by Jetglow; 04-08-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Jetglow
Racer

I bet that is why they went to steel floorboards after 75... the heat form the converter probably weakened the surrounding fiberglass

Get notified of new replies

To Oh CRAP! slow floor board on a 75'

Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Jetglow
Racer

Originally Posted by mkdesign

BTW...like what you did with rear bumper...and like your old and new wheel setup. What did you do with your old wheels?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jg,
I would begin by cleaning the damaged area of the underbody of paint and other materials using paint remover and lacquer thinner.
This will need to be done to begin the repair regardless.... but it will also allow you to SEE the EXTENT of the damage which may have an influence on whether this is a repair you want to tackle or have someone else do it.
With a little homework first it's likely you can be successful repairing this damage yourself.
Often damage like you have is repaired by working from both the interior of the car and from underneath it.
Regards,
Alan

This shows that area thouroughly cleaned up.

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
if your going to do this your self its easy,but ichy,,

you will need
1.fiberglass mat [1 package 3'x5'?]...
I understand fiberglass cloth is stonger, perhaps that is a better choice for floorboards?

Quick Reply: Oh CRAP! slow floor board on a 75'