Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark value of 73 with 43k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:11 PM
CelliniEVO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballpark value of 73 with 43k miles?

My wife’s father passed away a few years ago and we inherited this, curious what’s an estimated value of it?

Its always been garage stored and runs. I’m attaching some pics and wondering if there’s anything else I could look into to help determine the value?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default I will take a stab at it...

Bearing in mind that this is just an opinion based on observation of what other cars are selling for, I will take a stab at helping you.
In the first place, if the car does not have frame rust or rust on the bird cage, this car looks to be a very nice example of a survivor car, but don’ t get too excited yet. There are a lot of nice 73s around and that does seem to affect the price, not to mention the long run of the C3 in general.

You say it runs, how well it runs will obviously affect the price. The Automatic transmission make it a little less appealing to a lot of potential buyers. Also green is a color that a lot of buyers may not want. If the engine and transmission are original, that enhances the value.

You should be marketing this car to a NCRS type who would want to freshen and preserve it rather than a person who wants to restomod it. I say that because it appears to have a lot of original parts and the low mileage is a big plus, if it can be documented. A person who is going to modify the car would not pay a premium for the originality, where as a person who wants an original car might pay more. I would clean the car up to prepare it to sell, but do not replace a lot of parts yet.

Bottom line, if the frame and birdcage are pretty solid, I am going to say it may bring 12,000 depending on how well it runs. But that is only a guess.

Last edited by crawfish333; 04-10-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:52 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

More details would be helpful. Do you know if the engine is original? Has anyone checked the numbers for you? Do you have a front bumper cover or did it just fall off? It doesn’t look customized,so that’s good. L48, Air, automatic, orig radio, power brakes. Any other options? How’s the rear chrome? Any evidence of paint/body damage? I can’t imagine you would know where to look for rust.

I think 12 might be a little high at first blush but without seeing the car, tough to say.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Garage stored, so I'm assuming it has a solid frame and birdcage. Based on the photos and assuming that it will need tires, all new braking systems, cooling system, fuel system, suspension perishables, alignment, plus whatever else......I'd say somewhere in the $7,500 range. This assumes the engine, trans and rear axle are in good condition.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:43 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

location factors in as well.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Great looking car!
Low miles, well optioned and I think the color combination is terrific. Where are you located? There are CF members in every state. I'm sure one would be more than happy to come by and help you with this.
Good luck, Greg
Old 04-11-2018, 08:09 AM
CelliniEVO
4th Gear

Thanks guys! It’s currently being stored in Iowa where my folks live and I’m back visiting now. I was debating having it transported to me in Colorado, but I don’t have space in my garage for it so I wouldn’t have much time to sell it.

Its been sitting for the past 3 or so years and definitely needs a good amount of work. We have the bumper and I believe the numbers all match but would need to confirm.

Is there a good way I could remotely sell it and get a fair price?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

You could post the car on eBay. I would have it cleaned up first. Check that the numbers match (at 43K miles they should) and list as much history with as many pictures as possible.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi c,
It's apparent that when people like 73 cars... they REALLY like them.
That could mean that they're be some good interest in your car.

I agree that cleaning it up will help put it's best foot forward.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

If you are not with the car, or do not have the time, pay a reputable shop to get the car running and driving, but don't go overboard.

Then have the car professionally cleaned / detailed.

You did not say what sort of front bumper you have for the car. Original urethane, flexible aftermarket, fiberglass.

I would include the bumper with the car, but unless it is already painted and ready to install, I would not bother doing that. Some people may not like the bumper you put on it.

Then put it up for sale.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

The logical way to go about this is to back into it.

A "perfect" show condition 73 w/low miles optioned like yours would go for @$18500.
Now; subtract all the things you need to do to make yours perfect and that's your starting price.

IE: Full cost to have someone professionally install the front bumper, new tires (yours are likely dry rot), get A/C operational, +anything else that needs attention/repair for show condition.
Subtract all that from your "perfect" price and you'll likely end up in the @$11-$13 ball park to start.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM
CelliniEVO
4th Gear

Well, my wife always hoped to eventually tune this up a bit and drive it around as it was something her dad loved, but decided last year it's time to sell. I didn't want her to regret that so we haven't tried listing it yet, but she still wants to sell so it's time to find a good asking price and a good place to list it. It's currently garaged in Clinton, Iowa (which is about 40 mins from the Quad Cities and 2hrs15 from Chicago O'Hare) if anyone is somewhat local and knows where we should post it online or wants to look it over please feel free to reach out.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

op here is a 73 with eerily similar details. Death in the family. Front bumper story. Cool period color.

In a few hours perhaps you’ll have your answer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...et-corvette-9/

Last edited by Kie; 01-21-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

since the bumper isnt attached or shown in any any of the pictures and the car hasnt been driven in awhile an estimate based upon a downloadable free app called Corvette DNA is 10K. You can list in the for sale section of this forum.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM
4speedoverdrive
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 73 car value

For what it's worth I bought a 73 Coupe a year ago and paid 21,000 for it. I had been looking for a year for a car and thought that was a fair price. My car is silver and I think similarity equipped as yours. AC, PS, PB, Auto, delux interior, original paint. My car had 25,000 miles and everything worked except the radio, and it turned out that it was the speakers not the radio. As I said, I looked for over a year and you can find a lot of cars out there for less than 20,000, but they all had some serious issues or substantial modification. I sure would have liked to find a show ready car for $18,500, but I just never ran across one. And by the way I was doing essentially a nation wide search. I live in the midwest and bought the car in LA, and I traveled to LA to inspect the car before purchasing.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Clean it up, get it running good, wait til spring and advertise for $11K. Should sell rather quickly at $10K....
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

IF the car runs good and frame isnt rusted, ac works get the bumper on & sprayed and list it for 12-15 see what happens.
Working ac is a big deal imo.
Guys either love or hate 73s...and odd colors. Auto doesnt matter, many guys dont like sticks either.

If I had the cash Id buy it. Not that the trans or color speaks to me just that it probably hasnt been messed with. THAT is hard to find, moreso than options. Others feel differently.

I once bought a green/green Z/28. One of the best fram eoffs Ive ever seen, noone bought it over color;I overlooked it as the car was so well done couldnt say no and thats what matters when youre daily driving it.

Get notified of new replies

To Ballpark value of 73 with 43k miles?

Old 01-22-2019, 11:10 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Get it running, and fix the front bumper? I don't think anyone will disagree with that advice. Perhaps your wife will change her mind. Either way, advertising a complete car should get you more than a 95% completed project. Perhaps you can do the initial fit and prep for a fiberglass front bumper, and just hire out the paint? Lots of threads here on the pros and cons of different types of bumper replacements.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 PM
hummiscorvettetaken
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

I once bought a green/green Z/28. One of the best fram eoffs Ive ever seen, noone bought it over color;I overlooked it as the car was so well done couldnt say no and thats what matters when youre daily driving it.

I recently purchased this all original Green/Green Z28 and love the color - don't under estimate the lure of Green cars.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice...and different. Mine was a 70. Guy I worked for at the time restored and flipped c1-2s and first Gen Camaros. He couldnt give that car away, I dug it.
Could care less about the color, it was a killer buy and an opportunity to drive a brand new car every day from 1970. Not sure why guys store them. Enjoy it!
Thats a great looking car you got there.

Quick Reply: Ballpark value of 73 with 43k miles?