Sponsored by:

Car show people lingo

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 PM
82corvettece66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car show people lingo

can anyone tell me the definition of (Street hood open) for a local judged car show? And two other categories wash and show hood closed and modified hood open. Last two are pretty self explanatory. Thank you in advance. Joe
Old 04-13-2018, 11:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

In a local show, there is no “definition” other than what the guy running that show, that day says it is. Any answer you get from someone outside that show will be a guess or what they think it should be.

That’s the biggest problem with local weekend shows. There are no rules other than what the group putting them on that day say they are, and entrants frustrate themselves expecting some “correct” answer.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree with VetteBuyer; local shows are pretty much wide open. Contact the event host and ask for their definition for "Street hood open".
Old 04-15-2018, 09:16 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
In a local show, there is no “definition” other than what the guy running that show, that day says it is. Any answer you get from someone outside that show will be a guess or what they think it should be.

That’s the biggest problem with local weekend shows. There are no rules other than what the group putting them on that day say they are, and entrants frustrate themselves expecting some “correct” answer.
Exactly what V/B said and I'll also add the frustration continues if you try to figure out who/why someone's car was picked to win awards/trophies. Go to have fun and meet people.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:47 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

It's a beauty contest money maker where they get people with old cars to pay money to bring cars to a show & then charge other people to pay money to look at the cars. Great scam ant it. Also even if you win you get some cheap *** trophy that sets in the garage because your wife sure as hell doesn't want it in the house. Been there & done it.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:35 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Also even if you win you get some cheap *** trophy that sets in the garage because your wife sure as hell doesn't want it in the house.
I especially like the "Best of Show" participation trophies that consist of a piece of varnished wood with a toy car/truck glued on it.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:54 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by revitup
I especially like the "Best of Show" participation trophies that consist of a piece of varnished wood with a toy car/truck glued on it.
biggest group or family award
Old 04-15-2018, 04:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

In my area for a judged Corvette show you have basically three classes.

Street- Only the exterior of the car is judged, no interior, no under hood, and no chassis.
Super Street-Same as above but the interior is judged.
Show- everything is judged, exterior, interior, engine compartment, observable chassis while on one knee.

If you have more than a listed number of modifications you end up in a forth class called Modified.

Last edited by MelWff; 04-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 82corvettece66
can anyone tell me the definition of (Street hood open) for a local judged car show? And two other categories wash and show hood closed and modified hood open. Last two are pretty self explanatory. Thank you in advance. Joe
Just based on the three things you mention, I'd say it was:

Street Hood Open: Car is stock and judging includes engine bay

Modified Hood Open: Car is modified/hotrod and judging includes engine bay

Wash And Show Hood Closed: Car is a driver-quality and judges don't look at engine bay.

Maybe the organizers have different awards depending on the class and if the owner pops the hood. I seldom pop the hood at a cruise-in, for whatever reason more people want to talk about the car when it's closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Car show people lingo

Quick Reply: Car show people lingo