Sponsored by:

First real drive in my new '77

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:13 PM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First real drive in my new '77

I bought an orange '77 coupe a few weeks ago only to get hit by a Spring snow storm here in Michigan. So my only drive before today was a brief test drive (I didn't want to drive it much on the 15+ year old tires). The sun is out and the roads are dry even though there is still a foot of snow on the ground.

It's an L48, 4-speed car and only has 23k miles from new. I trailered the car from downstate and had a local restoration shop look it over for me and deal with a few small items I knew it would need. Besides replacing the tires, I had them check the car over, replace leaking valve cover gaskets, deal with a couple of small exhaust leaks, replace the original drive belts (I kept the old ones just in case, but they were pretty well done) and generally just make sure it would be safe to drive.

Well, I'm pretty darned happy! I hadn't driven a C3 in many years, though I did own a 1994 C4 (LT1, 6-speed) that I just never warmed to. I just find the styling of the C3 to be really cool and I'm more about the experience of driving old cars so the outright performance difference isn't as important to me as the look, feel, sound, and story behind the car.

My first thoughts:

The car is actually pretty quiet. Mine still has the original factory exhaust and catalytic converter, so it sounds smooth and quiet. There is a lot less noise than on the C4, in which the drone from the wide tires, road noise, and wind noise were always present. I don't mind some good car noises, but the C4 was just noisy in a bad way.

Likewise, the ride is superb. 70-series tires are just so forgiving relative to the newer low-profile rubber. I have new Goodrich T/A Radials in the nearly-original 225/70-15 size if you want specifics. Again, with only 23k miles from new, my car also has the original factory shocks which appear to be working just fine. It feels tight with no wallow.

The 4-speed Muncie has long throws but it's super light and smooth shifting after I lubricated the dried out shifter mechanism. I think the clutch is likewise a lot lighter and easier to modulate than the C4 was.

I certainly haven't pushed the car in corners at all, yet, but it tracks nicely and feels nimble.

I just can't help but think that these later rubber-bumper C3s are one of the last remaining bargains in the classic car world. They can't stay this cheap for long. I've owned a lot of cars over the years: Porsche, Mercedes, Miatas, Alfas, a couple of MGs, a Triumph, etc... and I'd be hard pressed to find any of those in this kind of condition for similar money.

I'm really looking forward to a real Spring around here!

Last edited by Stevelovescars; 04-19-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

sweet.
enjoy
Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Slc,
I'm glad to hear how much you're enjoying your new car.... and that you're able to enjoy it FOR WHAT IT IS!!!!
Corvettes were special in the 70s, and they STILL are!
You're car looks like a beauty in the photo and I hope it continues to give you lots of pleasure and good times!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-19-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Welcome to the orange 77 club......I agree with everything you said about the car, tires, shifting, etc.....

Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

GREAT looking car and congrats on the purchase. Hey, not sure if the 77 Muncie is the same as earlier c3's, but on my 68 (M21) there is a "long throw" and "short throw" position on the shift levers underneath. I changed mine over to the short throw and will never go back. Might be worth a look if you do not care for it the way it is. Take care, John
Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

Interesting about the shift levers. If mine still has that option, it’s definitely on the “long throw” setting! I definitely want to check that out.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice car good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Those orange 77's look great. Best of luck with your new toy.

John
Old 04-19-2018, 09:41 PM
HuggyBear
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default short shift

I also have a 77 L48 4-speed, orange with dark brown interior. My orange is hugger orange which is a repaint over Corvette Tan.
The shift linkage lever on the 77's only have one hole to set the shift throw - long throw only. I believe you can install a 76 or early lever that has both a short and long throw setting.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Great color !

You have many terrific days ahead !

Happy Motoring !

Frank
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Your experience sounds very similar to mine when I picked up my '77 4-spd. 20K miles, all original including the Firestone 721 tires. Put it in the shop for a look-over, repaired and replaced some minor issues. I happily drove it that way for weeks until the heater core sprang a leak, the original unlined brake calipers started leaking and a tire failed. You were smart to quickly replace the tires. Nice looking '77, an early one, no fender emblems. If your under hood is in an equally nice original condition, be sure to take some detailed reference photos for the rest of us who are always interested in that kind of thing.

Last edited by revitup; 04-19-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Beautiful car and glad to hear that you are enjoying her.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

The brake calipers on this were replaced/updated at some point in the car's past but I don't have receipts, unfortunately. This was a pleasant surprise, the original owner's family didn't have all of the details so I was expecting to have to update those. They checked out just fine.

I'll get some engine photos for reference. It's totally original, still has the factory hoses, catalytic converter, exhaust, etc. It's not spotless, though. There is some slight corrosion (the intake manifold and surface of the brake master, which appear to be common areas) and the paint on the valve covers has deteriorated, but I don't plan to touch it. Just cleaned off the grease and oil from the leaking valve cover gaskets.

I'll get some engine bay photos, but here's one of the underside in the rear. You can see the original exhaust and note that the original spare tire is still there and has likely never moved since the car was new. I grabbed this when the car was on the hoist but the valve covers and exhaust manifolds were taken off at that point.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Beautiful car. Keep us posted on any improvements you make
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Great-looking ORANGE car! Post some weekend road trip pics for us.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelovescars
The brake calipers on this were replaced/updated at some point in the car's past but I don't have receipts, unfortunately. This was a pleasant surprise, the original owner's family didn't have all of the details so I was expecting to have to update those. They checked out just fine.

I'll get some engine photos for reference. It's totally original, still has the factory hoses, catalytic converter, exhaust, etc. It's not spotless, though. There is some slight corrosion (the intake manifold and surface of the brake master, which appear to be common areas) and the paint on the valve covers has deteriorated, but I don't plan to touch it. Just cleaned off the grease and oil from the leaking valve cover gaskets.

I'll get some engine bay photos, but here's one of the underside in the rear. You can see the original exhaust and note that the original spare tire is still there and has likely never moved since the car was new. I grabbed this when the car was on the hoist but the valve covers and exhaust manifolds were taken off at that point.

Check the spare. If it's original I bet it's either a Firestone 500 or, if it went in for the recall like mine, a 721. This is fun, kinda like exploring mine all over again.
The mufflers still have the black paint on them?

Last edited by revitup; 04-20-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 PM
gveld
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome and hope you get many miles of pleasure out of your orange 77 . Still warming up here in Canada and hoping to maybe get my 75 orange flame out for first drive if the season soon

Get notified of new replies

To First real drive in my new '77

Old 04-20-2018, 08:47 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Great looking car! I really like the orange even if it is a wild color. Not many a body style can pull of such a color like a Vette can. Good luck with it.👍
Old 04-20-2018, 09:00 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Congrats on a very nice 77.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

The mufflers don’t really have black paint, I would describe it more as a fine coating of protective oxydation. ;-). The restoration shop who looked it over for me says the whole exhaust is original and solid but has some surface corrosion, most likely just 40 years of moisture from a cement garage floor.

Here are some more photos. I am particularly amazed by the condition of the interior. You’ll probably note some unusual details since this is a no-air car and was built with the no-cost optional cloth seat inserts. Most notable, I believe, are the levers on the kick panels beneath the eyeball vents that open up fresh air vents. From what I can find, these were residual from the old Astro-ventilation systems on earlier cars. At speed they do let in a decent amount of air when opened.

The engine could use a good cleaning and there is definitely some patina on it. The hoses may mostly be original, if not all of them. The belts were just replaced as they were pretty dried out.

If you see anything amiss, be kind. ;-)

Now that I have driven it a bit more, the only interior items that don’t work are the clock and the dome lamp. It is missing its bulb and the white plastic lense/cover looks intact but won’t stay on. I found it in one of the storage compartments in the back.

Oh, the AM/FM mono radio turns on but isnsonfaint I can barely hear it. I may investigate a hidden amp/Bluetooth solution some day... or perhaps just use a portable speaker if I go on a longer trip.

Driver’s side

Passenger side, note the round lever handle on the kick panels for the fresh air vent on that side. Another one is on the driver’s side.

Quick Reply: First real drive in my new '77