Sponsored by:

Determining value of my 1979 Corvette I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Maybe he is just looking for an idea how much its worth to insure it .
Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a 79 last year, but it does not have immaculate paint and is mostly original (so, technically, a 'survivor'). 68k on the odometer. L82 engine, manual, good solid machine.

I paid 8700. Based on pictures and 'collector' status (so, original everything), I insured it for 10,000.

Based on my limited experience, I'd say yours would be worth 10000 - 12000. Where my experience lacks is how much 'originality' matters to you or to other corvette lovers, and whether new paint and interior would be a positive or not. I also say this because 1979 corvettes seem to be on the cheaper side of C3s due to high production numbers and not being supremely old yet, where perhaps a 1973 in this same condition might be worth 15000 - 19000.

or maybe I don't know jack. But, I hope I helped. I hope to see pictures too; gotta love the '79s
Old 04-26-2018, 07:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

When someone asks you what their vettes value is thats one of those loaded questions with a Bullet in every chamber destined to blow your brains out...

Years back before mike and i had our falling out in his yard a guy with a modded 80 is pushing me hard to say what i think the car was worth,

The car had some big sentimental value to him and i kept refusing to answer,
He pushed too hard, being jerky,

I said okay,
Modded 80, poorly turned 383, modern wheels that dont fit right, twin turbo hood and needs tlc attention, paint etc,
i was trying to be kind and said well perhaps 7k

he went nuts said i dont know sheet about vettes, he went on to say just a week ago a crack dealer offered him 20k,

I said, you should have taken it, that made him madder.

I told him, see why i didnt wanna give you an answer.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by EddiesDream79Vette
I just bought a 79 Corvette I know nothing about the actual value. The car is in immaculate condition with only 46,000 miles, new paint, new interior, and also has an out of this world 383 Stroker engine. The problem is I don't have a lot of history on the car. I was told that the engine was built by the guy that built the jet car Jay Leno rolled in, (you-tube video). Any idea's for me please help..
Go to the Hagerty insurance site and walk through their valuation tool. That will give you a decent idea of the value for insurance purposes. Then, check AutoTrader and Craig's for the market asking prices on similar cars.

As far as added value related to who may have built the engine, there are thousands of guys who have built solid high performance 383's over the past 25 years and there won't be any unique engine traits or magic that will add a pile of value. Who may have built it might just be an interesting fact.

Be happy about your purchase and enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

My computer must be broken, because I still don't see the pictures??

Quick Reply: Determining value of my 1979 Corvette I just bought