Sponsored by:

One last round of sage advice re selling dad's vet

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 PM
maynards75
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One last round of sage advice re selling dad's vet

I posted last week seeking advise on selling my deceased father's 75 convertible. I had to replace the battery but after that was done it fired right up. I took it for a short drive and it ran great. Fluid levels were all good and no leaks on the garage floor. As the picture shows it has a manual transmission. There are few blems in the interior doors, small cracks. Other than that everything looked pretty straight. My plan is to take it to a local mechanic that specializes in corvettes to get him to inspect and let me know if he sees anything of concern. If not, I will post for sale here, craigslist and auto-trader classics and see what interest there is.

If you have anything else to share please weigh in.

Greg
Attached Images         
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Looks like a nice straight car. Don't think you'll have much trouble selling it. Sure you don't want to keep it?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:52 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Tires look like some oldies. Be careful
The following users liked this post:
maynards75 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Im A bit down already today so i will toss 2 cents out there,

Truely sorry on your dads passing, mine went at 89 in 2014 we talked almost daily so you get the idea there,

He had his buddy an Avanti that he wanted me to have but bucking from step family had him call me and ask if i could sell his car for him, he said not what he wanted and would rather not talk about it, so i agreed,

The car hadnt been driven in about 3 years and wouldnt start but was a 98% show queen,
Like vettes have rocker or bird cage rust avantis have hog trough rust which his had some which also hurt pricing,

Price was based on my looking for comparible examples and feedback from the avanti forum,

I reported to my dad about what the car was worth, going rate, he hoped for more but expected as much,

I listed it on craigslist and the avanti forum, seemed the avanti guys were closer knit more about kinship than we are here,

Anyway the car sold within 10 days, the guy offered only slightly less than our set price, dad was pleased,
He passed within 2 more weeks,

At the funeral my step mom mentioned i sold it to cheap,
( the money went to my dad not me )

When i post ads i tend to get long winded but i believe it saves a lot of time and stress to really lay it out, some will figure out the car isnt what they want which saves time,
I just sold a fiero a few weeks ago this way and my xterra is listed, the fiero buyer was thrilled with it.

Specialty cars like your dads vette or my dads avanti or even my fiero bring out the professinal pita looky lou joy riders, they seldom buy, as they will offer down right insulting lowballs, likely broke,

I am super picky who i even let come out, i might miss a sale but i find it less stressfull this way,

If you priced the car fair it will sell fast uts desirible and nice,
It's just up to you how much bs and stress you can take,
Me, i cant take much,

ps
if people try to nit pick or beat it down try not to take it personal, its not, if they are bad, tell them its not what they are hunting, excuse yourself and walk away.

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-28-2018 at 09:04 PM.
maynards75 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:32 PM
maynards75
7th Gear

Originally Posted by croaker
any tips on how to determine if they are still safe to drive on?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:49 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maynards75
Check the date code on the side of the tires. Follow link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...hrome&ie=UTF-8
maynards75 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:09 AM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

My Dad always said ,,When the top comes down the price goes up ,,
good luck with the sale ,, we had a similar problem but it involved a boat
maynards75 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:03 AM
maynards75
7th Gear

Any suggestions on where to get replacement tires that will not hurt the value of the car?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:26 AM
forman
Drifting

I would let the next owner worry about that
Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

I agree with 'forman' and would let the next owner worry about it. Just give them a careful look for dry rot, etc and make sure they are properly pressurized. I had a set that was 17 years old and looked absolutely perfect but one day I hit a rock and a big chunk of the sidewall just gave way - you could see that tire had become stiff and dry. Wasn't obvious before. Car rides much, much better on new rubber. Like getting a new pair of sneakers.

If you really want to replace them TireRack.com worked out great for me. Don't forget about the spare. There are online tire size calculators you can use to help with fit. Save the $$ and don't worry about raised white letters. Hindsight being clear I'll turn the RWL side in on mine next time.

I told my entire family that when my time comes they'll all be called into a big scrap yard for the reading of the will. All my my cool s*** - cars, motorcycles, guns, ALL OF IT - will be fed into an industrial grinder right in front of them. Afterwards they'll all be given equal size buckets of what comes out the other end. Fair is fair - no favoritism here.

I doubt you'll have a problem selling it but I'd like to (politely) suggest that there are many Corvettes out there but only that one was your Dad's. Unless there is some other compelling reason to move the car why not think about it for a little bit before you do anything?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:42 AM
forman
Drifting

Discount tire wharehouse on line bf Goodrich ta 117.00 a tire
Old 04-29-2018, 09:02 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Looks like a nice 75, are you 112% sure you would like to sell it?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:40 AM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Maynard check your private messages.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Nice looking C3.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:47 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Firestone S/S Radials............I had a couple of sets of those, back in the day. They were great tires, HOWEVER, OP, don't even bother looking for a date code. The last time Firestone made those tires was the late 80s-early 90s. They're old enough to vote!!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 PM
shenango
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Looks like a nice 75, are you 112% sure you would like to sell it?
I agree completely. Put some new tires on it and drive her for a couple of years. You might fall in love just like your father did. Give your Mother fair market value and everyone is happy.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by shenango
I agree completely. Put some new tires on it and drive her for a couple of years. You might fall in love just like your father did. Give your Mother fair market value and everyone is happy.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I would be a good memory to keep the car if it financially makes sense. It's a nice original car and you can't beat red!

Get notified of new replies

To One last round of sage advice re selling dad's vet

Old 05-01-2018, 11:19 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Any suggestions on where to get replacement tires that will not hurt the value of the car?
I have a different feeling about tires here. I know when Id go to sell a car, newer tires made the car look like it had been taken care of a little bit. I think tires on a car that have date codes from a couple decades ago give the car a different impression.

Whether it’s providing a safe situation for when a person comes to take a test drive, or making the car safe for you to drive around a little bit in the meantime, I see no downside to dropping $500 on a set of TA Radials here. There’s no circumstance where it reduces the car’s value.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:57 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I have a different feeling about tires here. I know when Id go to sell a car, newer tires made the car look like it had been taken care of a little bit. I think tires on a car that have date codes from a couple decades ago give the car a different impression.

Whether it’s providing a safe situation for when a person comes to take a test drive, or making the car safe for you to drive around a little bit in the meantime, I see no downside to dropping $500 on a set of TA Radials here. There’s no circumstance where it reduces the car’s value.
I totally agree! I wouldn't let anyone test drive it with those tires. Tire separation is a real issue. Drive slow when taking it to the mechanic.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Yeah if the tires are older than about 6 years, you'd be best served by swapping them out with something new. Radial T/A's are ok, as are Mickey Thompson ST radials, or even a comparable Cooper tire. All about the same price point.

Quick Reply: One last round of sage advice re selling dad's vet