Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:17 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I never knew that about tank stickers.
Another dumb question, why start over at 501? Why not just put the actual last 3 digits on the sticker? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi F4,
Ed will be able to explain more fully but until then here's the explanation of 'job numbers' from John Hinkley:

"The "job number" was assigned by the Production Scheduling department, and tied back to the dealer order for that unit so the body could be built with the correct body panels and option modifications to the various panels when they all came together on the main line in the Body Shop. The guys who built up all the off-line subassemblies had to know the body style and options for each unit for hole drilling, riveted brackets, clips, reinforcements, panel modifications, etc., and each station had a "run sheet" with 500 units on it; each job number showed the option conditions for that unit that affected the body build...."

"All the style and option-related parts had to come together on the Main Line so they all matched up to that unit's dealer order specifications, and the "run sheet" was also used in the Paint Shop for exterior and interior paint colors (the trim tag and VIN plate didn't get created/installed until after the body left the Paint Shop). After the body left the Paint Shop and was loaded on the Hard Trim Line, the "job number" was essentially meaningless."

Regards,
Alan

An example would be that the firewall needs to be cut for a car with the a/c option.

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-30-2018 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F4Gary (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen

Congratulations! It is nice to have the tank sticker! I got a hold of mine about 6 months ago when I replaced my tank. I was able to carefully remove it from the tank and I have it saved in a plastic bag laying flat away from any light source.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:05 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ed427vette
On tank stickers there are no full VIN numbers. However, there are a set of three hand written numbers which run from 1 to 500 that will coincide with the last three digits of the vin.

On this particular sticker, the number 386 goes with a vin that ends in 886 which is 500 away and correct. This seems to work for cars 1968 and newer. On some 67's the vin number can be off by 2 or 3. On 68 and 69's there is usually only one set of three digits written on the tank sheet. On 70 and newer you will often see two sets of three digits. One will correspond to the vin, the other is some form of job number.

On 69's that have fake tank stickers you will often see just a job number written that does not correspond to the vin. I see this often on fake 69 stickers as the person who was making them had done some poor research....on the fake 69 sheets they would write the three digit number that they see written on body panels on the car. They didnt do that on 69's. It started in the 70's and only when both numbers are written in on the top. The only other exception is in 69 between VIN's 712000 and 717000. During this period for some reason one of the line workers hand wrote 4 digit numbers on the lower section of the sticker which were the last four of the vin. Its not on every single one, but on many between that time.

The tank stickers can also be traced back to specific VIN's by use of the Order Number and Ident Number that is on all tank stickers and window stickers. However, this info is not available to the general public. NCRS has this information and they use it as part of there verification process.

Part of the Ident Number is missing on the OP's tank sticker as its located in the left hand corner of the sheet, but the order number is present. Both numbers are unique numbers to each car. Its common to have the left hand corner ripped on the tank sheets. Its probably due to how the line workers torn the page off multilayered print outs.
Ed, thanks for the great info. KingRat told me something similar about the number written on the body panel in front of the gas tank. When I included the photo pictured here in my original post, I did so with the intention of asking at some point what the two metal "vent" things were. You'll notice there is some writing there. When I first looked at it, I didn't know what it meant. It didn't even really look like numbers to me. Now, after hearing about the job number you, KingRat and Alan 71 all described, I can see that what originally looked like scribble, can now be seen as the number 157, which matches the number 157 on my tank sticker.

For me this is like unraveling a mystery! BTW--are those things vents?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 04-30-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by Bart K
Congratulations! It is nice to have the tank sticker! I got a hold of mine about 6 months ago when I replaced my tank. I was able to carefully remove it from the tank and I have it saved in a plastic bag laying flat away from any light source.
Thank you very much. I'm still trying to decide if I should attempt to remove it, preserve it in place, etc. I've even heard of people replacing the gas tank and storing the original tank with sticker attached.

What are the pros and cons of leaving or removing as you all see it? Is value affected either way?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Boy I would try to remove and preserve it. maybe try an exacto knife underneath it at the adhesive areas.maybe its globbed on there enuf where u can cut it from the tank and not the paper. try on the end of it at least. I'm an original car type of guy so a different tank would be a big change,unless its condition warrants a change. My goal would be to get it off,presrve it in a folder and keep it away from light. its made it this far....
ZRXGreen (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ZRXG,
The vents are for the drain hosed for the Astro Ventilation plenums that are in the rear deck.
A short rubber tube runs from the plenums to those bezels.
Regards,
Alan

The plenum and tube shown in the rear compartment.
On coupes the tubes run to the sides (to the wheel wells).

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-01-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 259 Likes on 207 Posts

I have never seen a 2.73 axle ratio on a 70.. didn't know they existed.. this sticker proves otherwise! must be extremely rare.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Bart K
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you very much. I'm still trying to decide if I should attempt to remove it, preserve it in place, etc. I've even heard of people replacing the gas tank and storing the original tank with sticker attached.

What are the pros and cons of leaving or removing as you all see it? Is value affected either way?

Thanks!

I am not sure if removing the tank sticker would affect the value of the car except to the positive because now you know you have it and a prospective buyer can see it. I got mine off by carefully using a one-sided razor blade. Here is a pic of mine.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Nice Build sheet, much better condition than mine. Same month 3-26-70
Last three #' 918
My frame date id 3-16-70. And differential is dated 3-17-70
Pretty cool.

1970 Base Coupe/March 26th-1970
Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ZRXG,
The vents are for the drain hosed for the Astro Ventilation plenums that are in the rear deck.
A short rubber tube runs from the plenums to those bezels.
Regards,
Alan

The plenum and tube shown in the rear compartment.
On coupes the tubes run to the sides (to the wheel wells).

Thank you, Alan!
Old 05-01-2018, 04:21 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Nice Build sheet, much better condition than mine. Same month 3-26-70
Last three #' 918
My frame date id 3-16-70. And differential is dated 3-17-70
Pretty cool.

1970 Base Coupe/March 26th-1970
That is very cool! Thanks
Old 05-01-2018, 04:56 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That is very cool! Thanks
What suburb of Chicago ? I was from Joliet.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:01 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

What suburb of Chicago ? I was from Joliet.
I’m in Arlington Heights.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:03 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This may be the original dealer: Zone 4/209
https://www.ncrs.org/services/dealer...OhWerOw&debug=
Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I’m in Arlington Heights.
I'm doing a body off on my 70' Coupe, if you need a picture or such let me know I may have something.
Great car, have fun.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by joewill
I have never seen a 2.73 axle ratio on a 70.. didn't know they existed.. this sticker proves otherwise! must be extremely rare.
That would be nice, to have something rare about my car. On the other hand, I'm wondering what kind of power it will have off the line with that rear end.

Get notified of new replies

To Tank Sticker Discovery

Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

I'm doing a body off on my 70' Coupe, if you need a picture or such let me know I may have something.
Great car, have fun.
That's very nice of you and I may just take you up on that at some point. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I've dealt with a couple resto-like situations where there is a tag or sticker. In general you would preserve it where people could see it in it's original location- unless it was in a very difficult original location to see. In this case as with body panel/vintag type of sticker I would preserve it into a 'history book' similar to what the dealer gives you with the car (maintenance book in the glove book sort of thing). This way it 'stays with the car' but also where you can actually get a look at it. Could include some photos of removing it, original tank/equipment, and so forth, to prove originality.
ZRXGreen (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you, Alan!
It pays to check those rubber tubes if your car ever sees rain or water from washing going down the vents because when I got my coupe they were badly perished and would leak. Fortunately the PO had kept the car garaged and didn't drive it in the rain much. FWIW I replaced them with flexible electrical conduit as I figured it was more durable than the rubber.

Quick Reply: Tank Sticker Discovery