Replacement door panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:11 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Replacement door panels

I'm looking into replacement door panels for my 71. I previously purchased a set of Corvette America panels in 2006 but never used them as the fit was terrible.
My options are recovering my original panels, using Al Knoch panels (possibly with fibreboard backing) or trying my luck with CA again.

I believe CA may have retooled and sorted the fitment issues out, but I'm not totally convinced about this.
Has anyone had any luck with getting a decent fit from the door panels currently available?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

I have a newer CA door panel on my driver side. I had the problem where the lock **** hole was not centered around the post and my lock **** would pop off every once in a while. I had to enlarge the window crank opening to be able to slide the door panel backward.

I now get some squeaking from the upper rear of the panel when the door's shut because it's probably too far back.

Not an issue if you have power windows I suppose.

I had a door panel they made when they were still auto accessories of America (I believe) and It was so bad I didn't even bother to put a screw in it. Just threw it away.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BarryB72
I have a newer CA door panel on my driver side. I had the problem where the lock **** hole was not centered around the post and my lock **** would pop off every once in a while. I had to enlarge the window crank opening to be able to slide the door panel backward.

I now get some squeaking from the upper rear of the panel when the door's shut because it's probably too far back.

Not an issue if you have power windows I suppose.

I had a door panel they made when they were still auto accessories of America (I believe) and It was so bad I didn't even bother to put a screw in it. Just threw it away.
I believe the lock **** post not centered in the hole is a common problem. Might be able to elongate the holes in the door opening mechanism to help centre this!!!

I'm thinking about Al Knoch fibreboard backed panels if anyone has had any experience with theses.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:03 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wabco40
I'm looking into replacement door panels for my 71. I previously purchased a set of Corvette America panels in 2006 but never used them as the fit was terrible.
My options are recovering my original panels, using Al Knoch panels (possibly with fibreboard backing) or trying my luck with CA again.

I believe CA may have retooled and sorted the fitment issues out, but I'm not totally convinced about this.
Has anyone had any luck with getting a decent fit from the door panels currently available?
Just want to let you know that I had the same concerns with my new CA door panels. The fit was not great BUT there is a way to get an awesome fit like I did. Mine fit like a glove on the door now. You will need a nice heat gun and a laser temperature gun to monitor the temperature of the ABS panel. ABS goes superplastic at 221 deg F. Keep the panels at 190-200 deg F and when achieved quickly place on the door and hold for at least 3-5 minutes. Mine came out beautiful doing this. It helps to have a friend help with the laser gun.

Last edited by JohnnieUtah; 04-30-2018 at 11:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JohnnieUtah:
bfit (05-03-2018), marshal135 (05-17-2018), Priya (05-02-2018), wabco40 (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi w,
I've only 'heard' talk about Al Knoch still having some fiberboard panels that he can put his current vinyl skin on.
I'm not aware of seeing one. (Maybe I saw one but didn't realize it was a reproduction.)
When I heard about them I believe the price was $400 or $500 each.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi w,
I've only 'heard' talk about Al Knoch still having some fiberboard panels that he can put his current vinyl skin on.
I'm not aware of seeing one. (Maybe I saw one but didn't realize it was a reproduction.)
When I heard about them I believe the price was $400 or $500 each.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan,

l have been in touch with Al Knoch and there still available but are expensive. I don’t mind spending the money if they fit ok but I just don’t want the same as I had with my previous pair from CA.

Regards
Brad
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Brad,
Well the fit is certainly going to be DIFFERENT than the panels made with the ABS backing.
How they'll fit????
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-01-2018, 04:13 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
Just want to let you know that I had the same concerns with my new CA door panels. The fit was not great BUT there is a way to get an awesome fit like I did. Mine fit like a glove on the door now. You will need a nice heat gun and a laser temperature gun to monitor the temperature of the ABS panel. ABS goes superplastic at 221 deg F. Keep the panels at 190-200 deg F and when achieved quickly place on the door and hold for at least 3-5 minutes. Mine came out beautiful doing this. It helps to have a friend help with the laser gun.
I used a heat gun to help some original fiberboard panels that got warped get back into shape. Just don't get them too hot, keep the heat gun moving.
The following users liked this post:
wabco40 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:30 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Brad,
Well the fit is certainly going to be DIFFERENT than the panels made with the ABS backing.
How they'll fit????
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan,
Thats the million dollar question, how they’ll fit.
I’ve asked the same to Al Knoch, just waiting on a reply.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I have re-skinned my original door panels. They look OK...but, believe me, this is NOT a job that you want to do, unless you are totally **** or very masochistic. It will drive you crazy, as you will need at least 4 hands to do the work properly.

I don't care for CA's quality. Their parts are "almost" right and will "almost" fit. If you can afford Al Knoch's stuff, go that route.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 AM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I have re-skinned my original door panels. They look OK...but, believe me, this is NOT a job that you want to do, unless you are totally **** or very masochistic. It will drive you crazy, as you will need at least 4 hands to do the work properly.

I don't care for CA's quality. Their parts are "almost" right and will "almost" fit. If you can afford Al Knoch's stuff, go that route.
At the moment I'm at re-covering or if I hear any good reports on AK panels I'll go that way.
I previously purchased a complete interior from CA (door panels, upper and lower dash, piller posts etc) but never used any of it due to fitment issues. I'm very reluctant to use them again even if they have re-tooled for a better fit.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi W,
"At the moment I'm at re-covering"

At this point I don't think putting new vinyl on the original fiberboard panels is a viable option.
Although several folks have talked about doing it, I've seen a photo of only one example of a completed panel. The result wasn't nearly satisfactory enough for me to use it on my car.

I'm unsure that I could do any better.
There may be a learning curve involved in obtaining good results, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a single restorer would do over and over until he had the experience to get it right.

Have you considered starting to search for unused original panels?

Regards,
Alan
wabco40 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The CA door panels can be made to fit with heat, as others have said, and the plastic backing is going to outlast any fiberboard backing IF you drive in the rain.

I agree with Alan that the door skins replaced on this forum were okay, and I don't envy anyone tackling that job, but they would note be good enough for my car. The CA door panels look great and match the originals.
wabco40 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Recovering is definitely do-able and "can" be done, but like 7T1vette said, it's one heck of a job. I bought the skins from CA, removed the old vinyl from the original panels, THEN installed the new skins. No way would I ever mount the new skins over the old, split/cracked vinyl. The old vinyl peeled right off using a heat gun leaving the foam underlayment intact.

Here are pics of a pair I recovered for my '74 for reference.

wabco40 (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Orange...

I remember when you posted that you were going to re-skin your door panels. Thought you were "nuts"....just like me!!!

I don't think you posted pics of the results, at that time, (or I missed it when you did); but those panels look GREAT!! You did a dandy job on them. Having the deluxe panels helps with the finished look, as a good portion of the panel is covered with other 'stuff' which tends to draw your eye to the wood panel, etc. But, I think anyone would be happy to install those panels in their car.

As you and I know, however, you only feel GOOD about doing the re-skin AFTER you complete the job and IF it turned out OK or better. You might share with folks how much anguish and stress you had while doing those panels.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-02-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I'm sorry, but no.
Regards,
Alan

Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Orange...

I remember when you posted that you were going to re-skin your door panels. Thought you were "nuts"....just like me!!!

I don't think you posted pics of the results, at that time, (or I missed it when you did); but those panels look GREAT!! You did a dandy job on them. Having the deluxe panels helps with the finished look, as a good portion of the panel is covered with other 'stuff' which tends to draw your eye to the wood panel, etc. But, I think anyone would be happy to install those panels in their car.

As you and I know, however, you only feel GOOD about doing the re-skin AFTER you complete the job and IF it turned out OK or better. You might share with folks how much anguish and stress you had while doing those panels.
7T1,

Anguish is an understatement!

I actually started going gray during that project...but it was one of those projects that looked like an interesting challenge that I just had to accept. I did it. ONCE. And with God as my witness I will never do that job again!!!

Oh yes, I actually did post the results once I finished, but all of those photos in that thread got wiped out in the Photobucket debacle.

Hi,
I'm sorry, but no.
Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I said I recovered them...but I never said they were PERFECT!!

That area on the panel was much more noticeable up on the table, in the garage, under bright fluorescent lights than I was once installed in the car.

I was happy with the results...which was really the only thing that mattered.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement door panels

Old 05-02-2018, 01:48 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

FWIW, I have experience using the Al Knoch panels that have fiberboard backing. I found them to have the same "blemishes" in the vinyl covering as any other reproduction panel, however, I also found them to be better for fitment than panels that have the ABS substrate.

My understanding, from talking directly to Al about his fiberboard substrates is that these substrates are OE product. He told me that he was the original panel supplier to GM and these substrates are surplus, some 40 years on. I have no reason to doubt him.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi r72,
I don't think too many people are concerned with the difference in the imprint in the new vinyl skins compared to the original.
But it IS an issue for some few folks.

I'd think someone judging the Interior Section would wonder what they're seeing....the fiberboard backing but the reproduction skin ???!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-02-2018, 02:12 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redrdstr72
FWIW, I have experience using the Al Knoch panels that have fiberboard backing. I found them to have the same "blemishes" in the vinyl covering as any other reproduction panel, however, I also found them to be better for fitment than panels that have the ABS substrate.

My understanding, from talking directly to Al about his fiberboard substrates is that these substrates are OE product. He told me that he was the original panel supplier to GM and these substrates are surplus, some 40 years on. I have no reason to doubt him.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that helps a lot. I’m more concerned about fitment then a few blemishes in the vinyl. Thanks for the reply.
Brad

Quick Reply: Replacement door panels