C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car from out of state, advice requested.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
corvette_snoopy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying a car from out of state, advice requested.

Found a C3 I like, its 400 miles away. Some people may buy sight unseen, but I am not one of them, so i am planning to make the trip this weekend. If everything checks out, i will buy it.

My apprehension is in how to securely do so. The car will be shipped to my home. I cant see giving this stranger thousands of dollars this weekend and then hope and pray he sees that the car gets on the truck when they come for it, which may be days later. Just as he would be nuts to put the car on a truck and then hope i pay him when i get it.

How to handle this so its safe and secure for both parties? I know many of you have bought cars from hundreds or thousands of miles away, thanks for any tips.

Last edited by corvette_snoopy; 05-01-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

I'm just guessing:

a lawywer/notary/or bank could hold the money until both the seller and buyer have completed the transfer of the car.

OR......you rent a truck/tow trailer once you decide to buy the car and bring it home with you.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I agree...Figure out how to bring it home with you.

Brian
The following users liked this post:
C3_DH (03-04-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Snoopy also be aware that if its coming from another state, your state may have different requirements and paperwork needed to register the car. I had some issues registering a car from Connecticut to New York. Luckily the PO was willing to help get it done. Due to their age some states have titles and others do not.

I would verify what paperwork you need from you motor vehicle in your state ahead of time and get it all in your hands before the $$ transfers. Ike
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

I bought my Corvette 625 miles from where I live and drove the car home. The good news was by the time I arrived home I had an intimate relationship with the car and a long punch list of repairs needed. Bad news is driving a 1970 625 miles beats the crap out of you (At least compared to a modern car). YMMV
The following users liked this post:
C3_DH (03-04-2019)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the company that moves the car can help. Check with them, you pay the seller a percent of the price. Once the car is loaded the transfer company hands a check to the seller for the remainder. I seem to recall something like that. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have bought a few cars out of state. Just bought a 1979 from new mexico and I am in florida. go see it in person. dont make the mistake I made and pay somebody for an assessment. go see it yourself. you are only 400 miles away. either drive it home or rent a pick up truck and rent a trailer and trailer it home yourself. 400 miles is nothing. I was over 2200 miles away so I had to pay for a truck car hauler to pick it up and bring it to me. drive it and dont be afraid of stepping on it. it is a corvette not a granny car. check everything out. if the ac does not blow cold consider it not having ac. the repairs are huge. good luck.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you rent a truck and hauler, make certain that you have coverage from your insurance carrier/agent. They can write a short-term add-on to cover potential damage during the trip. Coverage purchased from the rental place is EXCESSIVE.

You may think that is automatically covered by your present policy. That could be. But call your agent and get something in writing BEFORE you make that trip home with a 'new' car, just in case.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-02-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I've done this twice, and drove the car home each time. Check your state's rules, and those you drive thru. You may be able to get a Prospective Purchasers Trip Permit and insurance from your insurer. You'll need the VIN of the car you are buying.

Otherwise, buy the car, and move it to a nearby garage for pickup. Pay the garage to inspect it, store it, and confirm loading, but you'll own the car that day. You may need a trip permit to move it to the garage, or AAA.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:10 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

First make sure you get plenty of pictures to look at to make the trip worth it. Once you are pretty sure that it is worth it, go to U-Haul or Budget and rent a truck and a trailer. Drive out there, check the car over again, test drive it and buy it if you are still happy. Pay the man, load her up and bring her home. Make sure you get the title and check all the information. Make sure the vin numbers match. Make out a bill of sale including all the info along with the vin number. Have the guy sign and print his name. Have him show id. Have a witness sign if one is available.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Tim69L46
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's always exciting to look at the one you think is it. Getting it home as others have said is easy it will fit nicely on a u-haul trailer and tow easily. I'd be more concerned about assessing the actual condition of the vehicle. Not knowing your experience with Corvettes and financial plan Take the time to thoroughly assess the condition of the car to get a sense of the repair & costs. Assess the seller as well. I find the honest ones to be nice guys who will work with you to make the sale happen and forthcoming about what they know and don't know about their car. A refundable deposit subject to inspection may be acceptable and don't be afraid to sleep on it. It may take a couple of trips but you'll feel better when you bring it home. Good luck!!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

400 miles is not that much.

Go see it, leave a deposit if you like it, come back the next week in a one way rental car, drive it home. Have the seller help you drop off the rental.

Bring some tools just in case.

OR

I did this rental thing on a C5 a few years ago. I had a pocket full of cash so I didn't have to go back a second time. If I didn't like it, go home empty handed with the rental. I asked the seller if he would help me drop off the rental before hand if I wanted the car. I also told the car rental place my intentions. It was from Hertz. I did buy the c5
Old 05-02-2018, 01:45 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

I've bought some cars long distance and sold some long distance so I've been on both sides of the deal.

Here's what I've done as a seller.
1. Car doesn't go anywhere until I have full payment. Wire transfer is the best. Wire transfers can only be done Mon-Fri 8AM-4PM not on weekends.
2. Small ($500) down payment to hold the car. Refunded if the buyer doesn't like what they see when they inspect the car. I don't have a lift so I put the car up on jack stands so they can inspect the bottom of the car.
3. Test drive with me driving.
4. Receipts for all work should go with the car.
5. I've always offered to help with the loading. Buyer arranges shipping. It's been hit and miss. Most showed up on time. Couple were late by days.
6. I've offered to store the car for a short while at the new owners risk until they could come and get it.
7. Provide a PDF copy of the title for the buyers inspection before they make the trip.

I say above so you can ask the seller to do the same.

As a buyer I would always want to inspect the car myself. 400 miles isn't a bad drive.

I have a half ton pickup and have used U-Haul auto transports many times. They have worked well. One nice feature is the fold down left fold down fender so you can open the drivers door. Don't have to climb out the window.They offer insurance for the trailer only and trailer and whatever your hauling. I used one earlier this year and for two day rental it was less then $150. I typically reserve the trailer close to the cars location so I don't drag it all the way out there. If you rent a truck make it has good class 3? hitch not t a bumper hitch. I don't think U-Haul will rent you a trailer unless you have a frame mounted hitch.

Check the title number to make sure it's current and not a duplicate. DMV can do that in about 2 minutes. Bill of sale is worthless in MN DMV's eyes.

As soon as the seller signs the title over to you it's yours. You need insurance on the car.

Google the seller's name and see if anything weird comes up.

Bring a buddy with you for a extra set of eyes. I bring my wife. See has a great eye for details that I have missed.

I hope you have good luck with the car. Post some details if buy it or don't buy.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

A couple forum members suggested bringing it home yourself with a U-Haul trailer. I agree, since it is only 400 miles. I have used commercial car transport companies for long distance, but 400 miles is a weekend trip. If the car meets your inspection, the main concern is paying in a form the seller accepts and for you.....making certain the title is correct- VIN and other info- and getting it signed over to you. Once the seller signs the title, the car is yours and can be transferred to you by your states DMV. Good luck. Hope you get a good one.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 AM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

I've bought a bunch of cars out of state. A lot of times, it's really the only way to get what you want at a decent price. Buying sight unseen requires a lot of trust on both sides, and it's always better to deal in person if you can.

My '70 C3 was about 420 miles away. I didn't have a truck at the time, so I rented one from Enterprise Truck Rentals. A diesel 3/4 ton pulls much better and gets much better fuel economy than a 1/2 ton gas truck, especially over hills. Just check on insurance, as typical credit card insurance doesn't cover rental trucks in a lot of cases.

For the C3 , I drove up, spent the night, and got the trailer from U-Haul the next morning. Hotel room, truck rental, trailer rental, food, fuel, etc. was only a fraction of what an auto transport would have been, and I left with the car and paid in person at the same time.

Wire transfers are the most secure way to transfer money, as counterfeit bank cashier's checks have become common. A cashier's check is fine, as long as the seller and buyer can go to a bank together and cash the check in person at the bank. I've done that a couple of times too.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As a Police Officer and C-3 owner the only advise I can offer is you must inspect the vehicle yourself!!!!!! Do not leave it to some one else!
It's your money in the end. The pre purchase $ spent up front wisely will be cheaper in the end if it saves you from buying a mess of a car.
Our District Attorney got burned bad on an out of state purchase, '69 red convertible that he did NOT go and personally inspect.
It was a mess when it arrived. We call that a polished turd.
He believed the owner and a local inspection guy who probably knew the seller.
It was a mid life crisis purchase that became dam near a divorce.
He ended up suing the guy for inter state commerce fraud because of the misrepresentation.
It was a big headache and certainly he never enjoyed the car after all that grief he told me.
Just sayin..... Go look at it real good. If the seller is telling you all the good stuff about the car listen to what is not being said and start inspecting those areas of uncertainty.
Get it on a lift that's a must even if both of you need to drive to a local shop and pay the guy for lift time.
Be prepared bring a powerful flash light with fresh batteries for looking beyond the obvious. Take your time an impulse purchase will always be a night mare later.
I looked at my '68 2x travelling 272 miles each time round trip so I guess my trips ended up being 400+ miles too when it was all said and done.
I took it to a local shop and we put it up on a front end alignment rack.
It was just enough for me to get under it and inspect the frame.
I test drove it with the then current seller in the passenger seat.
I didn't look overly excited to the seller so he wasn't sure if I was really going to buy it or continue to look. He was pretty motivated to sell it. He wanted to get some $ to finish his 66 GTO convertible.
If purchased right it will be a rewarding experience and many miles of smiles. There's plenty of inventory out there if this one eludes you.
GOT TO CHECK THE FRAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REPEAT... REPEAT................
Everything else can be fixed a bad frame and your upside down right off the bat.
Don't be cheap at pre purchase. Trust me you will be spending money once you are a C-3 owner. If you need another night to mill it over spend another night at the cheap motel.
Get familiar with these cars issues and common problems before you head out to look. You should be looking at quite a few bad ones first so you'll know a good one when you see her.
If you own multiply corvettes then disregard my last.
Good hunting mate, let us know how you fare.
Marshal

Last edited by marshal135; 05-03-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

All great advice given here,,, my 2 cents,, Don't do it alone! Take no less than one buddy, , make it a enjoyable trip,, take a few friends to help, especially if your towing, and it's your first time doing so,, it could be your dream car,,, and it could be a dud,,, their are many out hear to pick from,,,,,teddy

Last edited by 60 SHARK; 05-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a car from out of state, advice requested.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:02 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

If you have a pickup truck, rent a auto trailer through UHaul.
Their trailers are great.
If you don't have a pickup, take your daily driver and a friend, but before you leave reserve a UHaul truck and trailer close to where the car is located, one way for the return trip.
If you get there and don't like what you see in person, cancel the reservation at no cost to you.
Good advice on checking with your insurance carrier before you rent and if you arent covered for the rental have your agent add it on before you leave. UHaul's insurance is expensive.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:23 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

you can check the title ahead of time at the local state dmv for any brands and liens and ownership.

have the seller scan you the title. check for vin #, names, mileage.

run a nmvmt report on the vin

make sure the seller is the owner of the car, 50% of the time it is not due to flippers and 'selling for my buddy'. you are just opening yourself up for grief if your seller is not the owner.

to increase your pre-road-trip knowledge, insist on a lengthy conversation on the car and look for inconsistancies in the sellers answers. run a background check on your seller. ask him to put 100+ pictures on a cloud server ( flickr) for your and other potential buyers review. a motivated seller will do this for you.

yes rent your own truck/trailer from your home base. one way rentals are triple the cost.

agree ahead of time method of payment. cash/cashiers check, wire money, etc..

and most importantly, the cars are sold AS-IS but you must insist on a disclaimer in the bill of sale that the the seller guarantees the title is marketable and without any branding and that the title is marketable in your home state.

and make sure you are insured for anything that might happen during your trip. if a cash transaction, do it at a bank.

Last edited by joewill; 05-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you really won't transport it yourself, you can look up an escrow service, one that holds the money until the car is yours then gives it to the seller. I think Edmunds.com does this, but be careful that you're really at Edmunds.com and not something like edmunds.service.not-a-scam.com

Quick Reply: Buying a car from out of state, advice requested.