Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 driving impression vs newer cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Last comment I'll make because this is getting off topic.

I really don't understand making broad generalities about people based on a certain car that you really don't know that much about. I didn't know I was rich.

M3s and M4s absolutely come in both manual and "automatic" to this day. Kind of like in 1972 when over half of the C3s came with an automatic transmission. Just saying.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yep... My wife has a BMW, with stick, and M suspension. Nice daily, and quite an enjoyable drive for what it is. We've had it for 9 years, and it's now 20 years old - all maintenance and repairs performed by us at home, including an engine swap out, has over 400,000km (240,000 miles) on it now, and still going strong.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:33 AM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

So here's the real world.

I did a LS/t56 swap into a 99 BMW E36 vert. Updated the suspension to all current M3 stuff. 3:91 posi. 245 tires all around. 330 brakes.

Small cam with AFR heads. Chassis dyno it was 380 rwhp. More HP than most semi stock big block C3's.

Although I didn't get the chance I'm guessing it would smoke most C3 semi stock Corvettes either at the drag strip or on the road course.

Was it fun to drive? Yes it was. Was it as fun to drive as my 71 C3 vert with a LS1 swap? Yes it was. Did it get any of the looks of my 71 C3 vert the answer is no.

The only looks or comments that made me smile were when the real car guys that could tell I didn't have a stock engine in the BMW.

Our new to us 14 Mustang GT 5.0 has let's call it a "late model" soul.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I re-read all the posts on this thread to make sure I was not getting off topic.

Seems to be a consensus on this, that those of us who favor C3 Corvettes do it because of "character" and the "style". Making comparisons to other cars will bring out all types of opinions, facts, etc,....but it comes down to individual perception. The "character" is unique, and centered around "low technology", raw and crude power and a relationship with the road. The "style" is the unique design and shape of a C3 Corvette - not found in the homogeneous standard and boring modern car. It certainly has nothing to do with "technology", or what goes the fastest, or the highest quality, or anything like that.

I think for us baby boomers deplorables, American Muscle from the 60-70's is a unique and special experience, one rooted in Americana.

Just like Harleys, if you have to explain it, you would not understand. Those who don't understand, or don't want to (typically BMW types) just argue their counterpoints, but its like pissing in the wind.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-07-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille
Anyone can drive a Prius, but it takes guts, nerve and skill to pilot a big-block C3.
Or a B-24, before they added hydraulic controls.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Mike6811
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I'll bet you that if you put a set of 15" BFG's on this, it would ride so much smoother.
You guys with your taller wheels and tires will never get it.
But then he wouldn't be able to see over the hood! Like taxiing a Corsair.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Yep... My wife has a BMW, with stick, and M suspension. Nice daily, and quite an enjoyable drive for what it is. We've had it for 9 years, and it's now 20 years old - all maintenance and repairs performed by us at home, including an engine swap out, has over 400,000km (240,000 miles) on it now, and still going strong.
Sorry, no offense intended, if you can maintain your own BMW you have my respect, but your beemer is 20 years old, and not a new car, but new enough to be a pain to work on. (Even a '98 Corvette is a pain to work on.) In addition, you admit that it needed an engine swap. An old small block can be easily rebuilt over and over again. Back then they sold a lot more manuals, a new beemer with a manual is rare.

I'm just an old Boomer, an analog guy in a digital world, and that's the way I like it. Besides the visceral enjoyment of an old car, I'd rather be turning wrenches, than sorting out OBDII codes, or replacing sensors.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Sorry, no offense intended, if you can maintain your own BMW you have my respect, but your beemer is 20 years old, and not a new car, but new enough to be a pain to work on. (Even a '98 Corvette is a pain to work on.) In addition, you admit that it needed an engine swap. An old small block can be easily rebuilt over and over again. Back then they sold a lot more manuals, a new beemer with a manual is rare.

I'm just an old Boomer, an analog guy in a digital world, and that's the way I like it. Besides the visceral enjoyment of an old car, I'd rather be turning wrenches, than sorting out OBDII codes, or replacing sensors.
The engine could have been rebuilt easy enough - but like for C3s in the 70s and 80s, a low km secondhand engine was the cheaper and easier/quicker option. No offence taken at all, my newest car is a 1979, but my wife prefers some of the newer modcons for a daily driver (she does also have a Datsun 260z). I like old mechanical stuff better myself, but newer stuff is not a lot more difficult to work on for the most part, just have to understand how the different components perform the same functions that the old analog/mechanical parts did. I'll certainly agree that the BMW can be a pain to work on, though our Corvettes have some pretty painful areas too. Old British sports cars are much simpler, for all the complaints about their reliability! I drive old cars, play old guitars through old tube amplifiers, have a collection of records and a turntable, I get exactly where you're coming from.
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:31 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette

I don’t know, they make a pretty sweet ride. This is the first BMW we’ve ever had in the family, and we’re pretty sold! As finances allow I’m sure my wife will bump up the BMW model chain.

A certain percentage of drivers will bad mouth BMW and MB. I have had two BMW- a 525iT (station wagon) that would not die, but I finally sold it with over 300K miles on the odometer. I now have an X-5 with the 4.4L double overhead cam V8 engine. Pretty fast for a two ton car. I also have my 68 convert with NOM 454, manual brakes, manual steering and no AC. I spent most of my 55 driving years in two seat sports cars: Triumph, MG and a series of RX-7. BMW will get you where you are going in comfort, the others will get you there, but with a certain degree of risk and excitement.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Enough said.

Many of us long for the good old days. These old cars make us feel young again. Many of these young folks don't get it, or at least they won't get it for another 30 years. "Son, I remember when cars had steering wheels.."
The following users liked this post:
Torqued Off (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:01 AM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

The good old days are here, We are living them as we type. We can drive C3's or the latest hot rods.

My trouble I like them all. Can't afford them all but how fun would it be to have a big block C3, a LT1 C3 and a 2018 Corvette in the garage.

Or for that matter the current Mustang GT or Camaro SS?

I've driven a 2018 Charger SRT and its very nice. Very low key unless you know what you are looking for. Very fast.

The good thing for us old farts (speaking for myself) we can afford some of these new age hot rods and get out and drive them.

Oh and my somewhat daily driver is a 98 Wrangler with a LS6/4L60E swap. 10 years on the swap. Faster than the two Harley's I pulled by a couple of car lengths from a rolling start a couple of years ago. Nothing but thumbs up from them when we pulled up to next stop light.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I read the subject line read the op post,

You want me to compare a c3 to a newer car not that 93 is new to me i guess it is technically newer then the last c3,

Ive owned a lot of vettes, all were used as daily drivers here in florida some without ac, heat or power anything, actually that was my 66,
Ive also owned later model vettes and other models, for example i have zero use for c4s and was too happy to have sold mine, just no heart.

A few weeks ago i bought tina a 2013 kia soul as the xterra needed more repairs than it was worth, a throw away car like most made after about 1980, fully loaded kia, its kind of cool it a hamster car kind of way, i did buy a obd dongle blue tooth everything about the car right to my phone app,
What an age we live in,

My first c3 a bb 4 speed hopped up convertible 72 set the standard what i liked, not necessarily what was most comfy, most reliable and got the best mpg etc,
I enjoy the feel a vette has im driving it, its not driving me although some bbs try, im driving it, and i dont have to look at the tach to know it started and is running,

As c3s moved along they got more and more refined, my 81s , owned 2 at two different times were basically almost too refined for me, they lost much of the heart and soul my 72 had, lots or restro mod c3s are like that for me, the owners boast and brag how great the car is, how much money they tossed at it, if they wanted a new car buy a new car, too bad they never got to know a c3 with old school spirit.

So when its 101 degrees in the shade and im heading out for dinner will i jump in the kia?
You bet, but not for me not my first choice, but tina likes her cold ac, her 300 plus watts tunes, etc,

So the love of the heart, soul and spirit of a beastly older car, in this case c3 isnt for everyone and like with the harley guys no matter how much i try i would never be able to explain it to you.

Why try to compare c3s to later models, drive what you are drawn to, be it a rad 69 bb 4 speed convertible or a prius, be true to what you like, like them both? Thats cool too.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-09-2018 at 07:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by The13Bats:
lowbuck72 (05-10-2018), Metalhead140 (05-09-2018), Torqued Off (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

My '71 LS5 4-speed coupe with PS and PB has 1000 miles on it after a complete body off restoration (not restored to concourse, but as a hi-quality 'driver'), with a completely rebuilt engine and trans.
The goal was to have a factory-correct driver, with some minor upgrades, like Bilstein HD shocks, and a DeWitt's direct fit radiator and of course radials (T/A's).
So it's almost like having a new 1971 Vette.
Maybe I've just been lucky, but there's really no interior rattling or squeaking to speak of.
The car feels like it'll stop on a dime, the brakes are that good.
So many tailgaters out there nowadays, but if I have room in front of me, I can make them look tiny in my rear-view mirror almost instantaneously.
It sounds great when you get on it, but otherwise, the factory style exhaust is not at all obnoxious around town.
The driver seat I find really supportive and the steering wheel position and shifter are right where they should be.
The car seems to corner really well, and I have to be honest, I think I could use this car as a daily driver and be extremely happy doing so.
It's a great car, I have no complaints!
No need for a restomod here, it's 1960's technology, it works very well-there's a visceral quality in the experience of driving it, a connection to the machine, crude as it may be, and I've never had that feeling driving a new car, good as they've become...

Last edited by Bally; 05-09-2018 at 08:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bally:
Metalhead140 (05-09-2018), Torqued Off (05-09-2018)

Quick Reply: C3 driving impression vs newer cars