Sponsored by:

1981 starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Kevin Ramey
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1981 starter wiring

I HAVE A 1981 CORVETTE , Someone broke the plugs that connects the wires from firewall to starter plug base wires , Can anyone help me figure this wiring mess up ?
Attached Images       

Last edited by Kevin Ramey; 05-05-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:06 PM
garrettb
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The blue and black wires connected to the plug are for your electric fan. Those plug into the sensor in the block. Black gets grounded, and the purple/red wires go to your starter solenoid. I wish I had a photo. Maybe someone else has one.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Ramey (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Kevin Ramey
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrettb
The blue and black wires connected to the plug are for your electric fan. Those plug into the sensor in the block. Black gets grounded, and the purple/red wires go to your starter solenoid. I wish I had a photo. Maybe someone else has one.
ok that's good but the black wire has 2 ends one is a plug so that goes to block for the fan what about the one made for a bolt ?

also I need to run the wires from base A (firewall harness) in picture to base B (starter harness) do you know any these ? the base A was broken and all the wires just came out the plug so I have to rerun all straight into base B
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kevin Ramey; 05-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:34 AM
garrettb
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was able to find a picture that may help. Full disclosure, it was taken before I detailed and cleaned this area, but you still get the gist of how things are connected. The black wire with the large terminal on it gets grounded through one of your bell housing bolts.

Yes, the connector commonly melts due to the high current that must pass through it. When I redid mine, I eliminated the connector, and soldered the wires together. Problem solved!

Old 05-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Kevin Ramey
Advanced

Default big help

Originally Posted by garrettb
I was able to find a picture that may help. Full disclosure, it was taken before I detailed and cleaned this area, but you still get the gist of how things are connected. The black wire with the large terminal on it gets grounded through one of your bell housing bolts.

Yes, the connector commonly melts due to the high current that must pass through it. When I redid mine, I eliminated the connector, and soldered the wires together. Problem solved!

ok wow this helps a lot , so red are on 1 side the R on the starter and the purple on the S ? can you look and see how the wires that come from the firewall to the starter plug , someone broke and just wired it and when I removed tape it all fell apart ,,
Old 05-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Kevin Ramey
Advanced

Default Updated

Originally Posted by Kevin Ramey
ok wow this helps a lot , so red are on 1 side the R on the starter and the purple on the S ? can you look and see how the wires that come from the firewall to the starter plug , someone broke and just wired it and when I removed tape it all fell apart ,,
Here is a updated picture of what I think is right (not sure)
if its right I still don't know where to put black wire and 2 red wires and the purple all coming from the firewall ,, any ideals ?
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2019, 05:16 AM
Kevin Ramey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin Ramey
Here is a updated picture of what I think is right (not sure)
if its right I still don't know where to put black wire and 2 red wires and the purple all coming from the firewall ,, any ideals ?
The red wire goes onto the r has no connection unless using a coil and the purple goes to the s

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 starter wiring

Quick Reply: 1981 starter wiring