Sponsored by:

Important info on VB&P

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:32 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
This is not the fault of "@@@@ junk" Its the corvette consumer they control what parts get purchased from the sources available.

The only way to stop inferior parts would take a collective effort of the entire classic car community to STOP BUYING them. Obviously, that will never happen.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
i have no idea if they are going out of bussiness or even filing bankruptcy, i do know poor customer service can lead to those ends,
i do know how they treated me personally and it really would not matter if i was the only one who got that treatment, i received it i move on to a better vendor, lots of people are like that....
I`m the same way. OPG lost THOUSANDS of dollars of my business because they hosed me over NINE BUCKS. I`ll never deal with them again.
I1ve seen a lot of positive comments about VB&P though, so I`d lean toward cheap competition as a big factor, but maybe not the only factor, in their demise.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
Remember - filing for bankruptcy does not always equate to 'going out of business', and 'going bankrupt' could be someone's interpretation of their financial situation, and doesn't mean that they have actually filed for bankruptcy.
Many a time I have heard "Going Bankrupt" when a company no longer can support what they sell or no longer believes they can make money on the market they serve. Let's see what comes out in the news in the next few weeks.

Sorry about the OP parts, VB&P makes good parts but have always had, in my experience anyway, communication issues.

David
Old 05-12-2018, 07:26 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, I hate to say it, BUT I bought my '72 in '95 when parts houses were run WELL and VBP was one of them, having bought springs and shocks and other suspension parts through them.....AND

When I moved to Jax region of Florida here in '97 there were VETTE oriented shops and business all over the joint, here locally much less down the east coast a ways.....but as my car is finished, basically, the small parts I need are just fine from a parts house....

many years ago, I forget if it was VBP, or maybe Ecklers.....but I THINK it was VBP who lost a FINE gal in sales management, I forget her name, anyway she ran a damn great operation, but her hubby got transferred I think so she moved north, and the business suffered greatly in a slow decline

BUT with the passage of the last 21 years I dunno of ANY vette specific businesses here in the Jax region....not to say they don't exist though.....

Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No mention of a bankruptcy or Chapter 11 reorganization on their website yet.

Looks like they are still taking orders.

You would think they would post that info on their website to save people from ordering products they may never get.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
No mention of a bankruptcy or Chapter 11 reorganization on their website yet.

Looks like they are still taking orders.

You would think they would post that info on their website to save people from ordering products they may never get.

I am NOT saying they are doing this but i have seen other outfits know they were gone and take orders right up until the door is locked that last time,
Old 05-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm discussed when I am force to buy import items. For my cars AND for my machine shop. I am in the position where I can, and do pay a little more to try and buy domestic. On the machine shop side many of the tooling is just not well made with regard to accuracy. There is no reason for the accuracy or quality is any better with car parts. I do understand that is the price range some are forced into, but many who aren't forced to still buy the import things. VBP is just another of the results paying as little as one can. jmo
Old 05-12-2018, 10:49 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
This is not the fault of "@@@@ junk" Its the corvette consumer they control what parts get purchased from the sources available.

If you don't purchase what you call "@@@@@ junk" the other guys would go out of business. And I put "USA" at times in the "@@@@@" category because they also decide to have the "Made in USA" mean sold in the USA using "@@@@@ junk specs and materials" and again the corvette consumer continues to support these companies.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

They have good parts but their customer service is terrible.

I'm not surprised.

I have a performance plus from VBP so it'd be nice if someone buys them out so I can get replacement parts in the future!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:37 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Too many vendors jumping in on the restoration parts business over the years. Sooner or later, someone is going to bite the dust. I doubt VB&P will be the only casualty if they are in bankruptcy.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,661 Likes on 1,400 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Many of you are talking about VBP as if they are Zip, Corvette Central, Corvette America selling all the stuff.....but VBP mostly produced products that ONLY THEY SUPPLIED. I might be wrong, but are they not the ONLY supplier of composite rear springs that work on our cars? I know there are the other composites like factory late model original and by TRW, but every time I see them on this forum there are issues with it jacking the rear end up too high. Am I correct about this?

So losing VBP is losing special products, not just another supplier. I don't think anyone else sells the VBP composite rear spring, or anything like it.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Agreed, but not all their products are exclusive to them. Their bread and butter stuff is probably brakes, springs, etc that everyone else is also selling. Just sayin'.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
............So losing VBP is losing special products, not just another supplier. I don't think anyone else sells the VBP composite rear spring, or anything like it.
Just my $0.02 worth..........I haven't done any work on a C-3 in quite a while, but about 20 years ago, I did a LOT of "upgrading" on a '79 C-3 that belonged to my wife. I shopped around a lot, getting all the parts together, and bought most of them from VB&P.

What I noticed, is that a few of the "big name suppliers" pretty much sold the same parts that VB&P did.......but we all knew that the "other suppliers" didn't make anything themselves, they simply sold parts. So, yes, VB&P both made and sold parts, and also yes, others sold VB&P manufactured parts.

Because of that, I decided to eliminate the "middleman", and deal with VB&P directly.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 840 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by stock76
Well, thats a bummer.

Way back when, they were the main supplier/manufacturer for stainless steel sleeved calipers. Them and Stainless Steel Brake Corp.

Now every auto parts store has them for cheap. I can see where a small specialty house like VBP can't compete against those prices.

The Corvette crowd is getting older too and it seems the younger folks are more interested in the pocket rockets.

Too bad, they have some innovative stuff.

Surfing the Net, I did trip over a company in Texas that had springs and the dual mount composite spring system identical to VBP's. Not like it, the pictures were identical. Maybe they were /are the manufacturer of the composites for VBP.

They did not advertise a name for the springs at all.

I'm going to back track and see if I can find them again.
The Corvette crowd is getting older too and it seems the younger folks are more interested in the pocket rockets.

As I turn 60 soon this becomes more apparent to me. But, "they don't know what their missing."
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just my $0.02 worth..........I haven't done any work on a C-3 in quite a while, but about 20 years ago, I did a LOT of "upgrading" on a '79 C-3 that belonged to my wife. I shopped around a lot, getting all the parts together, and bought most of them from VB&P.

What I noticed, is that a few of the "big name suppliers" pretty much sold the same parts that VB&P did.......but we all knew that the "other suppliers" didn't make anything themselves, they simply sold parts. So, yes, VB&P both made and sold parts, and also yes, others sold VB&P manufactured parts.

Because of that, I decided to eliminate the "middleman", and deal with VB&P directly.
I talked with VBP before buying my spring and other parts. They manufacture their own, and other vendors were reselling VBP parts. Also, VBP would custom a part if you asked, something others couldn't do.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:46 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Many of you are talking about VBP as if they are Zip, Corvette Central, Corvette America selling all the stuff.....but VBP mostly produced products that ONLY THEY SUPPLIED. I might be wrong, but are they not the ONLY supplier of composite rear springs that work on our cars? I know there are the other composites like factory late model original and by TRW, but every time I see them on this forum there are issues with it jacking the rear end up too high. Am I correct about this?

So losing VBP is losing special products, not just another supplier. I don't think anyone else sells the VBP composite rear spring, or anything like it.
This is basically true and correct and of course has me vaguely concerned as my car has the full front /rear vbp transverse stuff,

What if they do go defunct and i need a different rate or new spring,
Not that i would be happy dealing with them after how they responded lack luster to the defective inferior bushings i have from them,

Bushing i can get or even make not so with their special springs...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM
DAC516
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if it is really true VB & P filed for bankruptcy. I searched PACER (the federal online court reporter) today but found no filings for Vette Brakes and Products of America, LLC or any other similar name. If they had filed it would show up in this database. I also searched the Florida Secretary of State website, Vette Brakes and Products of America, LLC is the only active corporate name. I think this is a bullshit rumor.
The following 2 users liked this post by DAC516:
mrvette (05-15-2018), Primoz (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Well lets hope so. Good research, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

when someone has FACTS let me know....until then
The following 2 users liked this post by pewter99:
mrvette (05-15-2018), Primoz (05-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Important info on VB&P