Exterior Door Handle Flap not Flush or Level

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Exterior Door Handle Flap not Flush or Level

Good Afternoon All,

The driver's side exterior door handle flap on my 1970 Corvette no longer springs back into place. In fact, after comparing it to the passenger side, which works fine, I can see that the small spring that is visible as soon as the flap is depressed is disconnected or broken (not under any tension whatsoever, unlike the passenger side). You can see the spring in my photo below.

My question is, am I able to just disassemble the door handle and replace that spring, or do I need a whole new handle? Please let me know the pros and cons of replacing the door handle vs repair.

Note: I did a forum search and found that the people who had a similar problem, also had a door that was difficult to open. My door opens with no problem.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

If you don't want to spend the $45 for a new outer handle, and all the work involved they make a repair spring kit for about $13 (probably even cheaper on eBay). They work fine too.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1969-1982.html

Last edited by Greg; 05-09-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg
If you don't want to spend the $45 for a new outer handle, and all the work involved they make a repair spring kit for about $13 (probably even cheaper on eBay). They work fine too.
https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...1969-1982.html
Thanks. Do you know if it is possible to take the handle apart and replace the spring?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably, but if you're going to remove a 48 year old pot metal handle, at that point it's just easier to install a brand new one.
Greg
Old 05-09-2018, 05:58 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Probably, but if you're going to remove a 48 year old pot metal handle, at that point it's just easier to install a brand new one.
Greg
Very true. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Thanks. Do you know if it is possible to take the handle apart and replace the spring?
Read to the bottom you may just need to "lubricate the heck out of the spring".
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Greg
Support Corvetteforum!

Dang,
I just dug through my odds and ends. I knew I had a good used handle. Turns out it's a passenger side, sorry. I would have given it to you rather than just let it collect dust around here.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Dang,
I just dug through my odds and ends. I knew I had a good used handle. Turns out it's a passenger side, sorry. I would have given it to you rather than just let it collect dust around here.
I sure do appreciate the thought!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 PM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Check out the repair stainless steel spring kit a bit closer. Part # DR-307 in the Zip Catalog for $8.95. It is honestly a 15-second repair and the door handle flap looks and operates as normal. I installed one a few years ago and have been very pleased with the result.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille
Check out the repair stainless steel spring kit a bit closer. Part # DR-307 in the Zip Catalog for $8.95. It is honestly a 15-second repair and the door handle flap looks and operates as normal. I installed one a few years ago and have been very pleased with the result.
Thank you. When you say 15-second repair, do you mean once the door handle is removed? Or does this repair not require the removal of the handle?
Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

To replace spring correctly looks like right angle grinder grind off riveted end of pin. Drive pin out. Replace spring. Epoxy pin back In.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ZRX,
I'm unsure if new springs for the flapper are available... so it might require removing one from another handle if you attempt to replace the original.

If you decide to replace the handle do some homework on why they're available at several prices.

Regards,
Alan

Old 05-10-2018, 07:52 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Thank you. When you say 15-second repair, do you mean once the door handle is removed? Or does this repair not require the removal of the handle?

Total repair time is 15 seconds! You do not have to remove the handle. The repair part is a flat stainless "L" shaped piece that you squeeze and slide over the rod in the handle. I know it sounds "flaky", but it works great and is not noticed once installed. I was skeptical when I ordered the part, but am very satisfied with the results. BTW, I have a NOS handle to replace the one with the broken spring, but after installing the flat spring repair part I won't try to remove the original handle and risk scratching the paint, etc.

Jim
Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Total repair time is 15 seconds! You do not have to remove the handle. The repair part is a flat stainless "L" shaped piece that you squeeze and slide over the rod in the handle. I know it sounds "flaky", but it works great and is not noticed once installed. I was skeptical when I ordered the part, but am very satisfied with the results. BTW, I have a NOS handle to replace the one with the broken spring, but after installing the flat spring repair part I won't try to remove the original handle and risk scratching the paint, etc.

Jim

^^^THIS^^^

I installed the door handle flap spring 5 years ago and it works great. It was probably the easiest repair I've ever made to my Corvette.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by derekderek
To replace spring correctly looks like right angle grinder grind off riveted end of pin. Drive pin out. Replace spring. Epoxy pin back In.
Thanks. I was wondering what might be involved.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:00 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ZRX,
I'm unsure if new springs for the flapper are available... so it might require removing one from another handle if you attempt to replace the original.

If you decide to replace the handle do some homework on why they're available at several prices.

Regards,
Alan

Thank you Alan. I've already decided that if I purchase I new one, I'll spend more to get one made in the USA.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Jim
Good to know. Where did you get yours? Has the door handle gotten alot of use since the addition of the L piece?

Get notified of new replies

To Exterior Door Handle Flap not Flush or Level

Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
^^^THIS^^^

I installed the door handle flap spring 5 years ago and it works great. It was probably the easiest repair I've ever made to my Corvette.
Again, very intriguing. In the 5 years since installing it, has the door handle seen a lot of use? Where did you get yours? If it's not expensive, it might make sense to try it. Even if it didn't last as long as yours (and The Hot Rod Grill's) and required handle replacement, it really wouldn't matter as I would have to remove the original handle either way.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 PM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Good to know. Where did you get yours? Has the door handle gotten alot of use since the addition of the L piece?

Part # DR-307 in the Zip Catalog for $8.95. It's been used every time I have gotten into the car in the last few years. No problems and I would do it again rather than installing the NOS handle that I have.

Last edited by The Hot Rod Grille; 05-11-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Part # DR-307 in the Zip Catalog for $8.95. It's been used every time I have gotten into the car in the last few years. No problems and I would do it again rather than installing the NOS handle that I have.
Sorry I made you type that twice--I just saw that you included all that info above. Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Exterior Door Handle Flap not Flush or Level