Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To part out or not to part out.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
av7f78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To part out or not to part out.....

Hey guys I have a 78 silver anniversary. My question to anybody w/ input is whether or not to sell it as is or for parts. The engine and trans are rebuilt in are in decent condition. Because the car sits most of the time it has some flaws. Most recently I discovered the gas tank has a slow pinhole leak from the bottom of the tank. I have read most people replace the tank for safety/ peace of mind.Cost to replace is $250. My dash is removed right now because I was attempting to replace the heater core. The interior is new (al knochs). The other major flaw I have is because the heater core is taken part the a/c is obviously disassembled. My problem is that I can no longer afford to repair the car so I am looking for advice/ suggestions on the part out path or sell as is one. If anybody has an idea of value either way please share with me as well. I would greatly appreciate input from everyone so I can make a informed decision. Thank you all in advance
Old 10-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If the car is rust free and in decent shape there are many here including me tha twould buy it in pieces and put it back together. You really need to post some pictures. The cost and time to part it out is huge. I would try and sell it as is and recoup as much much as yo ucan and get pout of it as easily as you can. It sounds from your post you just want to sell it and be done with it. Put it for sale in the right section with a fair price and it will be gone before you know it. Make sure you have some good pictures though.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Is it an actual B2Z car?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
If the car is rust free and in decent shape there are many here including me tha twould buy it in pieces and put it back together. You really need to post some pictures. The cost and time to part it out is huge. I would try and sell it as is and recoup as much much as yo ucan and get pout of it as easily as you can. It sounds from your post you just want to sell it and be done with it. Put it for sale in the right section with a fair price and it will be gone before you know it. Make sure you have some good pictures though.
I am interested too
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
av7f78
Intermediate

This is the original ad I created from Feb of this year to try to sell it. What has changed from then to today is discovering the gas tank has a very slow leak at the bottom. I was asking 8k then for it running but not sure about value now considering the new bad news I am attaching the original ad pics with some I took today attempting to show you guys overall condition/ problem areas.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...view=slideshow

The specs:
1978 Silver anniversary. Original Yellow/ Dark brown color combo. Partial resto done on car. Have all receipts for work completed. A quick summary of things done: rear end rebuilt w/ composite spring, new KYB struts/ springs, Inner body mounts replaced without frame being lifted, motor rebuild w/ aftermarket heads -edelbrock I believe- all new interior, headlights 90% rebulit- works but headlights go down unevenly- several more items to add but feel free to inquire for more specifics if interested...

The Bad:
I want to give a quick rundown of things that do not work so you guys can give me input if my asking price is off....
Courtesy lights/ buzzer don't work. A/C was functional but disassembled for heater core removal, has sat for some time in that state so some components could be bad(compressor, filter, etc) have all other parts to rebuild. The outside a/c box was cracked so i purchased a "new" used one from ebay. Wiper motor works but I have the incorrect switch(need switch w/o delay $120 yikes!) Radio antenna missing, front body mounts in engine bay need replacement, Driver side door has several small chips from seatbelt being closed on, also from door spring install which door spring does not stay in mounting holes

The Good:
Car has been covered under carport so paint is in good shape overall. Power windows fully functional w/ Left side being recently rebuilt. Original engine/transmission combo. I even have the original carb if requested. Trailing arms not rebuilt but in good working order. Original driver/ passenger windows. Windshield frame restored w/ new windshield installed. I believe I am the 3rd owner w/ 11 years of ownership

Summary:
Overall I believe the car is solid. I have never had any major mechanical issues with the car. Most big dollar items are done (interior, engine/ trans done). Detail work with some body mount rebuilding will be needed.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
av7f78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Is it an actual B2Z car?

It is a sliver anniversary but not a factory option 2 tone if I understand that option code correctly.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

So got the rear ed rebuilt but didn't bother painting it to make it look nice?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell it as a whole. That sounds too good in shape from parting out. And it'll keep 1 more C3 on the road when the next buyer falls in love
Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by av7f78
It is a sliver anniversary...
Actually it's a 25th Anniversary Model; nose and fuel door emblems say that. All 78s were 25th Anniversary Models. Silver Anniversary is the name of the two toned paint option (B2Z).

Lots of folks get confused over the two.

Looks like a fairly nice 78. If it were me, I would not part it out. Too nice for that.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 10-21-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

NO WAY you should part that out, plus it would be a huge hastle piece-parting it out.
If it were me in your shoes, i'd drop $$$ and sell it as a project or
fix the gas tank/dash and offer it fixed.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM
av7f78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fast81
NO WAY you should part that out, plus it would be a huge hastle piece-parting it out.
If it were me in your shoes, i'd drop $$$ and sell it as a project or
fix the gas tank/dash and offer it fixed.

Thanks guys. So, my question now is, what would be a good price, as is and then what would be a good price, fixed?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Location would help.
If you are in a high cost area, you could ask a little more.....
It would also fetch more in an area where it could be driven yr round versus like Michigan or Minnesota with a much shorter driving season
Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
69MA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you really need to put the car back togeather or you are going to take a beaten. You will get the most for your money if you get the car driveable. If that takes bypassing the heater core and putting some kind of epoxy on the gas tank. Then be up front with any potential buyer and tell them it needs a heater core and a gas tank. Parting the car out is going to take huge amount of time and if you deduct that from the money collected for the parts might be close to what you can get for just selling it whole.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

For what it's worth, in the economy we are in right now I think you will take a beating in any direction you go. If assembled and running with or without a new heater core and gas tank, you'll get offers that are pennies on the dollar. Part it out and not only is it a ton of work but you will not get what the parts are worth! You will be offered half of what a part is worth if you're lucky.

Sad to say, I am in the same boat with my 78.

Whichever route you take, Good Luck!!

Last edited by Go Vette Go; 10-21-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:24 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Hate to say it but as is...$4k to $5k. You've detailed mechanical issues nicely but the mods can complicate a restoration. Plus, the power team configuation is a base model. And, as mentioned, the economic climate has not been friendly to Corvettes that are pegged as less desirable.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Hate to say it but as is...$4k to $5k. You've detailed mechanical issues nicely but the mods can complicate a restoration. Plus, the power team configuation is a base model. And, as mentioned, the economic climate has not been friendly to Corvettes that are pegged as less desirable.
It is definitely too nice to part out but as it sits this is about all you could expect to get out of it. Not sure what you have into it so that could be a deciding factor. If you re-assemble it as is with the flaws you might grab another $1K.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with the others do not part it out. Put it back together and sell it. It has too much potential to part it out.

Get notified of new replies

To To part out or not to part out.....

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Ill buy it from you. PM me if interested
Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
av7f78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Ill buy it from you. PM me if interested
I sent you a PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Nikoster
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump Z06 trans and rear suspension pending sale.

Quick Reply: To part out or not to part out.....