Sponsored by:

Vehicle Transport Tipping Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
how far and is he the owner??? how much effort to load the car? is it running is there extra parts. did he make it on time.

I buy (through a tip) blue collar guys lunch all the time. I use to say have a drink on me and the wife objected so now its lunch....if you are particularly happy with the service and its a big bill make it a dinner for two. theres your range. I find it easy to slip them money to cover a meal.
The car is running, no extra parts or special handling or anything out of the ordinary in terms of effort to load it. The shipping company was a week late picking it up, but that's more on the shipping company than the driver. I guess i'll see if he's on time with the delivery, and if everything goes smoothly give a small tip to pay for dinner or something. If he does something above and beyond, or negative i will adjust up or down accordingly....but I'm anticipating a straight forward delivery

Last edited by pwsusi; 05-24-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Im trying to see this one from all angles, ive likely transported more vehicles and parts than most and had a few really bad experiences, so the good guys stand out,

With the net having guys buy cars all over the country and having them shipped this has made transporters pop up like mushrooms, some newbies are great like the guy who hauled the fiero i sold others are cletus with an old jet ski trailer,
Its so bad in fact i told tina IF i ever buy anything else that has to be transported we will go get it.

when i do find something i want bad enough to pay transport fees it means a lot to me if the cat handles it kindly and does me right and a good job, i would feel like a cheesedick if i didnt tip him, thats just me.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by ezobens
It's all about karma.
If someone does a good job doing manual labor that I can't or wouldn't do myself, I tip them.
Makes them feel good, makes me feel good.
While I'm not wealthy, I live comfortably and giving someone an extra $20, $50 or whatever for doing a good job is no hardship on my part and they appreciate the gesture.
Besides, you can't take it with you....
Originally Posted by The13Bats
Im trying to see this one from all angles, ive likely transported more vehicles and parts than most and had a few really bad experiences, so the good guys stand out,

With the net having guys buy cars all over the country and having them shipped this has made transporters pop up like mushrooms, some newbies are great like the guy who hauled the fiero i sold others are cletus with an old jet ski trailer,
Its so bad in fact i told tina IF i ever buy anything else that has to be transported we will go get it.

when i do find something i want bad enough to pay transport fees it means a lot to me if the cat handles it kindly and does me right and a good job, i would feel like a cheesedick if i didnt tip him, thats just me.

I am right there with you guys.
Last car I had transported from Texas to GA, the guy was in communication all the way. When he showed up he could not get into my street so we met in a parking lot. He asked me if the "POS previous owner" told me that you had to disconnect the battery each night or it would be dead in the morning? No I said. Well, he climbed up and reconnected it, fired it up and unloaded it. Then he drove it to my house and I drove him back to his hauler. He DEFINITELY got a tip!
Bman
Old 05-25-2018, 09:44 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by pwsusi
The car is running, no extra parts or special handling or anything out of the ordinary in terms of effort to load it. The shipping company was a week late picking it up, but that's more on the shipping company than the driver. I guess i'll see if he's on time with the delivery, and if everything goes smoothly give a small tip to pay for dinner or something. If he does something above and beyond, or negative i will adjust up or down accordingly....but I'm anticipating a straight forward delivery
you didn't mention the distance....if it goes smooth buy him lunch for every day on the road,

Quick Reply: Vehicle Transport Tipping Etiquette