Sponsored by:

Alan where are you??? Everything OK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
So no one is tight enough to give him a call?
If I had his phone number, I'd try to call him.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Maybe this has been done already. Has anybody seen if he has friends to contact on his CF member's page? I have not but will look.

He has 45 friends there. Someone has to know something!

Last edited by Street Rat; 06-18-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,940 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Maybe this has been done already. Has anybody seen if he has friends to contact on his CF member's page? I have not but will look.

He has 45 friends there. Someone has to know something!
Well his name has not been in his local newspaper in the Obituaries if that means anything to anybody
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It's kind of surprising that nobody here knows him personally as active as he was. Or maybe they do, but don't want to share information publicly.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hayes69
It's kind of surprising that nobody here knows him personally as active as he was. Or maybe they do, but don't want to share information publicly.
he lives less then 15 miles from me. but he is not active in any local car shows in his area. I met him through our local NCRS chapter in 2004. but only seen him at events. but he has not attended any events in the last two or so years for what ever reason.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

It speaks to the emptiness of internet relationships. It's no wonder depression is on the rise when so much turns out to be fake or greatly exaggerated in the superfluous world of online social networks.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

I've tried a number I found to no avail and sent PM's to him to no avail. If he returns to the forum which I believe he will at some point he'll I'm sure be quite surprised by the interest he created by his absence along with having a LOL moment regarding his MIA on a milk carton.

Hope he hurries up with whatever he's doing as I'm in need of a few detailed pictures.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I'm just checking in for an update. Thanks to Members who have resources/made efforts to contact Alan. I'll be glad when he returns and we all have a good laugh about this
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have in the past mailed some parts to him, 2-3 years ago, i will search in my computer backups for his address.

May take some time tho, sure hope he is doing OK

Would be a shame to loose his knowledge and pictures of his 71 and related info of his related to C3,s

Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

I hope he is on vacation....? Does anyone know what his family situation is....? Married with kids...? The fact that he hasn't been on the NCRS board either has me worried...I can see him getting ticked at something or someone here but not both boards. I have a feeling this sabbatical is health related either with him or a close family member. Does anyone what state of disassembly his 71 is in....? Seemed like he was always taking it apart to work on making it better. I think I remember a post where he was considering donating it to the Corvette Museum, I wonder if he went thru with that.

When I was searching for a steel bumper car a few years ago I would send him the links to the adds and he always went the extra mile to look it over and point out the things that I might have missed. I bugged him countless times and he always came thru with an honest opinion.

It would be a shame to lose Alan and all his knowledge, please hurry back my friend.

I know he was an architect does anyone know what firm he worked for or the name of his firm if he was self employed....?

Brian
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Last I talked with Alan he was married with kids that were grown and moved out
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
It speaks to the emptiness of internet relationships. It's no wonder depression is on the rise when so much turns out to be fake or greatly exaggerated in the superfluous world of online social networks.
HUH???

I think it's the complete opposite. Here we have a discussion forum where we can exchange helpful information between people who are hundreds if not thousands miles apart. People who, under past circumstances, would have never have been able to do this.

No, we, for the most part, have never met in person, and probably never will. Yet at the same time, we demonstrate a concern, because a fellow CF member, and frequent poster, has suddenly "gone dark", without explanation.

I've been a regular participant on this site for 17 years, and could only hope that if my posts suddenly stopped appearing, that others here would notice, and show the same concern for me, that has been shown for Alan. And along that line, if I suddenly disappear for more that a week or two, you can be pretty sure that something serious has occurred. While my wife is fully aware of the time I spend here, she has no real idea how to log on, therefore she couldn't pass on any "news" about me.....

The following 5 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
79 C3 (06-21-2018), bmans vette (08-19-2018), dmaxx3500 (06-20-2018), pdx-vette (07-08-2018), rickimvette (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

And most of us are old enough that we had driver's licenses when these cars were new. From what Alan said, he bought his 71 new. So, we are in that wheelhouse where we start to worry about longevity.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:28 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I think he has just "burned" out. These forums can get quite nasty sometimes and meanings can be easily misconstrued!!! I think we are a great little community, but especially when things turn ugly, people post things they would never say to someone in public. I see on many forums. Something about the anonymity of forums I guess. That why I started the post. I instantly realized he had stopped posting.

I for sure will miss him and his assistance, vast knowledge and vast picture library. When your a newbie, every question is important despite the fact that it has been asked an answered multiple times. Alan never hesitated to answer that question over and over again.

I hope he sees these posts, 74 and counting and realizes what an asset he is to our community and how much everyone, myself especially misses his wisdom!!!

Alan are you reading all this????? Good luck to you sir!!!!

Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-19-2018 at 12:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by general ike:
'75 (06-19-2018), crawfish333 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by general ike
I think he has just "burned" out. These forums can get quite nasty sometimes and meanings can be easily misconstrued!!! I think we are a great little community, but especially when things turn ugly, people post things they would never say to someone in public. I see on many forums. Something about the anonymity of forums I guess. That why I started the post. I instantly realized he had stopped posting.

I for sure will miss him and his assistance, vast knowledge and vast picture library. When your a newbie, every question is important despite the fact that it has been asked an answered multiple times. Alan never hesitated to answer that question over and over again.

I hope he sees these posts, 74 and counting and realizes what an asset he is to our community and how much everyone, myself especially misses his wisdom!!!

Alan are you reading all this????? Good luck to you sir!!!!

Ike
^^1+
I don't know what's up but I got a return email last week to questions I had. He has been very helpful answering questions as I work on my car. I can only imagine how many pm's and emails he gets. I did not inquire about his personal situation. The I feel if he wanted people to know he would have posted. I hope all is well with him and his family and am very greatful for the help he has provided.

If you read this Alan

Robert
The following 3 users liked this post by EarlyC34me:
80-Vette (06-21-2018), dmaxx3500 (06-20-2018), doorgunner (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Glad to hear that he is well. Thanks for posting that.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I understood why this thread was started and i also believe get why carjunkie posted what he did,

The internet is amazing i have had net pals from all over the world,
I have had guys so excited they texted me heading to look at a car and on the way home, but in one case vanish, Houdini, ninja, gone, i tried to a point to regain contact, i still wonder what hapoened.

I share the feeling we all hope alan is well and all is good and perhaps he just needed to get away from forums, i dont know the man but what i saw on here he didnt give me the impression he was a thin skinned guy who would get butthurt and stop posting,

I also find it rather hum, im dumbfounded no one really knows the guy in a sense where they talked to him daily or weekly in private as a buddy not just a guy giving great car tech, and know what the obviously personal private reason he has gone mia,

So much spotlight is on it that some people might not want to come back and have to explain their absent
This thread pretty much puts a pressure on it, where are you why are you gone, whats going on,

Perhaps and i say this with due respects to all,
Its no ones business but his why he isnt here and perhaps rasing a flag stops helping after a certain point, who knows.

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alan where are you??? Everything OK?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Tonio
Drifting

Not everyone wants to become a friend of others on the internet. Last year I invited Alan to meet up at Corvettes at Carlisle so I can at least buy him a cold beverage for his help. He did not reply to the invite, so I took that to mean that he prefers to remain anonymous, which is fine, I totally understand if that's the case.

Perhaps he just wants to stay off the computer for a while and instead put some road grime on his beautiful C3.

Last edited by Tonio; 06-19-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapter2
Not everyone wants to become a friend of others on the internet. Last year I invited Alan to meet up at Corvettes at Carlisle so I can at least buy him a cold beverage for his help. He did not reply to the invite, so I took that to mean that he prefers to remain anonymous, which is fine, I totally understand if that's the case.

Perhaps he just wants to stay off the computer for a while and instead put some road grime on his beautiful C3.
You respected it and didnt push it with him i cant help but feel this thread is pushing....
Old 06-19-2018, 07:55 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
HUH???

I think it's the complete opposite. Here we have a discussion forum where we can exchange helpful information between people who are hundreds if not thousands miles apart. People who, under past circumstances, would have never have been able to do this.

No, we, for the most part, have never met in person, and probably never will. Yet at the same time, we demonstrate a concern, because a fellow CF member, and frequent poster, has suddenly "gone dark", without explanation.

I've been a regular participant on this site for 17 years, and could only hope that if my posts suddenly stopped appearing, that others here would notice, and show the same concern for me, that has been shown for Alan. And along that line, if I suddenly disappear for more that a week or two, you can be pretty sure that something serious has occurred. While my wife is fully aware of the time I spend here, she has no real idea how to log on, therefore she couldn't pass on any "news" about me.....

I fear that this is the scenario. My mom just died last week. I know she was very active on cruise ship websites, but I don't know how much. Maybe somebody is missing her there, but the last thing on anyone's mind is whether her internet friends are missing her.

I don't think anybody on here is trying to push Alan into coming back to the board. We are just concerned about him. I don't even know him but he seems like a kind, giving person. My hope is that he really is taking a break from the board and not sick or worse.

Quick Reply: Alan where are you??? Everything OK?