Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted on This Pace Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:54 AM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddawson
How was the rest of the body and paint? It's expensive to paint these cars.
The paint was beautiful. No swirls. 1 or 2 small rock chips.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 AM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Thought I had read it had original tires but the tires are not original and I would not expect so at 42k miles.

It does look like it has FE7 Gymkhana suspension. The FE7 on the front crossmember is faint.
Good eye, yes had the FE7. The tires had about 8,000 miles since he put then on in 1994.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

The oil pan looks to be is pretty bad shape. It looks to be pitted pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised that it starts leaking sometime soon.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Looks like the pan is covered in gunk to me. Looks like a great car if the price was right but I see a lot of labor cleaning it up.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

That poor car has had oil leaks for quite a while , mixed with road grime and repeatedly baked on . Just spraying degreaser on that would have little effect ! You would have to get under there and scrub all of it to get it back to clean .
Old 05-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

Tires would still need to be replaced....I can't believe he kept it sitting on the rack over the other Vette with it leaking oil that bad....There is an upside to an oil leak....Helps protects the frame from rust.

Brian
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a neglected car , it will probably need a lot of more work besides all the obvious leaks. Not saying I would not buy it I would but for less money ,
Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 AM
roadkilltx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wee
Tires would still need to be replaced....I can't believe he kept it sitting on the rack over the other Vette with it leaking oil that bad....There is an upside to an oil leak....Helps protects the frame from rust.

Brian
He does keep cardboard on the rack to catch drips. First thing I saw when I walked up.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:20 AM
roadkilltx
Advanced

He is also selling the C6. It looks nice but I didn't really look at it. I didn't know it was for sale.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ct...596593009.html
Old 06-01-2018, 08:53 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I gotta like it - Clean outside and clean inside. Look around and see what the other Vettes look like. This one needs a caliper fixed (they ALL do) and it looks like a 40K mile used car underneath. T-tops are an expensive drawback but otherwise it is in nice shape. How far off can he be on asking vs selling? Deduct $$ for the t-tops and fix the rest for a great driver. LOVE clean pace cars especially ones that you can actually drive and not worry about the pretty underside.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:26 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I loved the pace when it came out and still love them, even being a modder i would leave one very stock, only doing engine mods to give ut the performance it looks like it should have,

They were gonna make like 2500 but made over 6k, kind of a lot,
Even so people grabbed them hoarded them away thinking in a few decades i can cha ching for 100 plus k,

Didn't happen, super, super nice pcs with uber low miles, window stickers , dealer floor paper etc pop up and are not fetching big high numbers, and those are museum pieces, go out and start driving one and those 40 plus decade parts will fail right and left, and then you will have to make it an up to par driver, no more museum piece its value just started to fall...fast.

Then their are the up to par well kept drivers, people use them as cars perhaps the 2nd or 3rd car of the household but they get driven, the one you looked at is in all due respects in this camp, it wants to be in the first camp but no, its not,
And to really be in this 2nd camp a few silly low end issues need to be taken care of, no, my calipers dont leak. But my car is almost a decade older than a pc.

Then there is the low ender camp,
Poor old neglected, basketcase, wrecked, rusted out barn find etc that are now basically worth more as parts, i have a st10 from such a pc,

Do you really want a pc, then be honest do you want a beautiful up to par driver or a let it sit to look at museum piece,

After you cross that hurdle finding one wouldnt be as hard as you think, but really nice up to par expect to pay the $$$
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Do you really want a pc, then be honest do you want a beautiful up to par driver or a let it sit to look at museum piece.
This is great advice. That is a beautful car to look at. Are you comfortable paying a purchase premium for a Pace Car driver vs a similar vinyl bumper bubble glass car. And if you do want a driver, are you sure you want an automatic?

I drove my wife's 79 auto today. It turns heads. The 80 manual is much more fun to drive, but requires your full attention. YMMV.

That is a fine looking Pace Car, if you can get it for the right price for your application.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:48 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Pricing is always hard but did you look at the Hagerty value estimator.

Maybe talk to some experts about insurance and see what they would value it at.

Good condition is $26,600 then.

+$500 for close ratio 4-spd ($3,500 on Pace Car). -8% for auto trans. +$200 for pwr wndws. +$1,000 for a/c. +$400 for alum whls. +$500 for glass T-tops on base cpe. +$500 for gymkhana suspension. +$750 for tilt/tele strng whl.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I assumed pcs were fully loaded, that to me would be a must as i am too ocd to not have everything it could have come with,
And yeah, like bikespace was talking about a 4 speed is pretty much a must have in a c3, especially pre 77,
And post 77, its a whole different car,

Its not that i love rowing gears but its a sports car it just should have a stick,

Not long back i bought tina a new commuter car, a kia soul, hamster car,
A big hang up, finding fully loaded and auto, an auto trans does have a place in my world, getting groceries,
shopping, hitting yard sales...
Old 06-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice car, original Craigslist ad says "has" original tires, possibly stored somewhere. If no issues with paint, engine, trans and you like it , bring 150 100s with you and see what he says. Of course I would bring my sidearm also. Mark
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Looks like it has several leaks that need attention, the first of which as others mentioned is that brake caliper. I wouldn't shy away from the car if the price were right, and if i wanted an auto car. For me personally the biggest reason I wouldn't want it was that it was an auto. Back to the leaks, I don't see anything that couldn't be fairly easily fixed, but it does indicate to me a car that's done a lot of sitting and not having been cared for. Also the tires would immediately need to be replaced. As another mentioned above, if you're interested, I'd come in with a low ball offer and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted on This Pace Car