C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sjstub
Any tricks to installing the inside door handle? How do you hold the spring out in order to install a new handle?
long flathead screwdriver or your fingers if they are strong enough
Old 08-14-2018, 03:04 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by sjstub
Any tricks to installing the inside door handle? How do you hold the spring out in order to install a new handle?
Are you talking about the door opening handle?

If so, naramlee is correct, you take a flat screw driver and manipulate the mechanism so that you can insert the handle in place...then install the screw. Always make sure he mechanism has both shoulders intact when you install. If one is broken replace it. The reason I say this is that if one is broken you can actually pull the handle and it will come loose, the end result is a tear in the door panel.

Willcox
Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Not a bad question at all.... in fact to me, the only bad question is one that is never asked....

Ernie
Thank you...I feel that way too, but I know that very knowledgeable Corvette people are on here with years of experience, so...
Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by richopp
Thank you...I feel that way too, but I know that very knowledgeable Corvette people are on here with years of experience, so...
At least you asked.. that makes it a smart question..

There are tons of people on this forum with tons of knowledge. Honestly I wish more would post in this thread. There is always room for other ideas...

People like Easy Mike, Dub, Bats, 71T1 (CHARLIE), Dave Howard, MikeM (my fathers old (old as hell) buddy), DZvettes, John Hinkley, Vettebuyer, and many many others not mentioned... make this forum rock.

Ernie
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 AM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

At least you asked.. that makes it a smart question..

There are tons of people on this forum with tons of knowledge. Honestly I wish more would post in this thread. There is always room for other ideas...

People like Easy Mike, Dub, Bats, 71T1 (CHARLIE), Dave Howard, MikeM (my fathers old (old as hell) buddy), DZvettes, John Hinkley, Vettebuyer, and many many others not mentioned... make this forum rock.

Ernie
Isn't it nice to have all that talent on the site? On the Buick site, which I come from, we also have a number of posters who know every nut and bolt on every year car and why...this treasure trove of knowledge may pass us by in a few years, so I agree that those who know need to help others by saving and passing on that information. The Corvette world is different, however--more like Ferrari, I would guess--as there are the NCRS and the Bloomington groups who keep the "standards."

It is the little tricks that the others know, like you, for example, that help the rest of us move forward with the hobby. We have "stickies" on the Buick site where basic information and pictures are saved in case a future member wants to know, for example, the routing of the heater/A/C hoses and their correct colored bands. A very complicated issue that all Buick people face eventually, but easily solved with a few pictures and a paragraph or two detailing year-to-year differences, etc. It is this kind of practical information that proves so helpful to all who are in the hobby no matter when they decide to join.

Cheers!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Help with Wiring Connections on '81

I'm splicing into the factory gauge harness to install Autometer gauges.
I want to use the factory wiring for the 12+, Ground, sending unit wires, etc.
I'm pretty sure of the way that I am going to hook it up.
Here is a photo of the factory connector below. My question is can you verify where each of these wires go? I confused as to why there are two pink/black wires also.
Thanks In Advance
Craig

I

I have plenty of wiring diagrams but I'm just slow when it comes to understanding them. I looked at a picture on your site also. I think it was a '79 harness. I can't find it on the site now.
There was also a different harness for the oil temperature gauge. Here's a photo of that connector.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:27 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

For the center dash cluster, here is a diagram of the wires.

I think, and I've not checked the schematic yet but I believe the other connector is for the oil temp gauge.

A full schematic can normally be uploaded for the 1981.. but I'm having issues with the tech site tonight getting the file to upload. I'll post back later when I get it fixed.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 08-15-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM
TGEUL
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wiper Switch will not open Wiper Door.

My 1970 Wiper Door would not open.
The Wiper door didn't open using the Wiper Switch in the dash. I found that even with a new Wiper door solenoid the wiper door did not open. The new Solenoid clicked when the Wiper switch applied the ground, but it did not drop vacuum all the way. The vacuum gage showed the vacuum only dropped to 5" from 12". The 5" in was enough to hold the door closed (It has to go to Zero). Blew air in the new solenoid and squirted WD40 inside. Clicked the solenoid with the wiper switch 4 or 5 times, then connected vacuum hoses to the new solenoid and the door opened several times. Who knows how long the new? switch has laid around in a parts bin. You need to measure the vacuum on the solenoid end without the connector after the Wiper switch is pushed.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 PM
gavino
Heel & Toe

Default Adjustable resister for 68 temperature gauge

I have a wiring issue with my adjustable resistor from Willcox. Both of the wires separated from the adjustable section of its circuit board. I looked on the Willcox site and they show the soldered points on the resistor that attaches to the gauge. Can someone send me a picture showing where the black and white wires attach to the adjustable circuit board. Wires broke off when taking gauge cluster out for the umpteenth time.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 AM
Officergator
1st Gear

I have searched the forums and google can not seem to answer this one either. The wiper switch in my new to me 1974 Corvette was physically broken as it would not move from side to side. Bought a new switch and installed it using the videos from Wilcox Corvette. If you move the switch to the low or high setting, you get nothing. If while in the low setting you push for washer and hold, the wipers come on and work in low setting. Same for high setting, nothing until you push the button in. The three wire plug seems fine, however, the two wires to the front of the motor, dark blue and yellow, (presumably for the washer motor) are cut. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dan
Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Cdub270
Intermediate

Default Oil pressure gauge needle

I just bought a new oil pressure gauge for my 72 and when I pulled it from the box the needle was set to 40. when I installed the gauge to check it, it moved to under 80 can I just move the needle to 0 (zero) without doing damage to the gauge

Calvin
Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gavino
I have a wiring issue with my adjustable resistor from Willcox. Both of the wires separated from the adjustable section of its circuit board. I looked on the Willcox site and they show the soldered points on the resistor that attaches to the gauge. Can someone send me a picture showing where the black and white wires attach to the adjustable circuit board. Wires broke off when taking gauge cluster out for the umpteenth time.
You sent me a picture of the pot side of the resistor, but obviously something is amiss here...
The pot side of the resistor is heat shrunk so that you can't gain access to the wires... Yet your pictures show the wires...
So before I go any further, please tell me why you have the heat shrink removed and why the wires broken.....in full detail... When you take something apart that isn't supposed to be apart you can expect issues but for the lack of me, I'm more curious as to why you took it apart?

Ernie
Old 08-19-2018, 05:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cdub270
I just bought a new oil pressure gauge for my 72 and when I pulled it from the box the needle was set to 40. when I installed the gauge to check it, it moved to under 80 can I just move the needle to 0 (zero) without doing damage to the gauge

Calvin
Not sure if you got this from us but if you did... or didn't....

Yes, you can pull the needle from the face and re-set it. However, it's usually easier to bend the lever on the arm that pivots with the gauge movement than to try to re-center the gauge. The gauge has what's called a bowden tube on it and this tube expands and contracts with pressure. So... you don't want to bend the larger portion of the tube, just the Z bar that's attached to it... Once you have it set on zero you should be good to go. If you purchased this from us and don't wish to fool with it, email me at service@willcoxcorvette.com and I'll just have the gauge picked up and replaced.

Ernie

Old 08-19-2018, 05:56 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Officergator
I have searched the forums and google can not seem to answer this one either. The wiper switch in my new to me 1974 Corvette was physically broken as it would not move from side to side. Bought a new switch and installed it using the videos from Wilcox Corvette. If you move the switch to the low or high setting, you get nothing. If while in the low setting you push for washer and hold, the wipers come on and work in low setting. Same for high setting, nothing until you push the button in. The three wire plug seems fine, however, the two wires to the front of the motor, dark blue and yellow, (presumably for the washer motor) are cut. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dan
Dan,

I'm sorry but in my very first post on this thread I stated to go to the tech site for wiper motor or gauge issues... there enough info there to help you solve the issue. Just enter your year, watch the videos and take a look at the schematics that are available to you. I'm not trying to be a turd.... I'm just wiper wore out. I get 10 to 20 emails a week on wiper motor alone and while I'd love to try to solve each and everyone individually, there just isn't enough time in the day...

"I'll also say... Wiper motor issues and for most gauges... the answers to these can be found by searching our tech site.http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/ Simply enter your year, then search with one simple word... If you search and read, you can in most cases solve your own problem."

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 08-19-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:15 PM
Cdub270
Intermediate

Not sure if you got this from us but if you did... or didn't....

Yes, you can pull the needle from the face and re-set it. However, it's usually easier to bend the lever on the arm that pivots with the gauge movement than to try to re-center the gauge. The gauge has what's called a bowden tube on it and this tube expands and contracts with pressure. So... you don't want to bend the larger portion of the tube, just the Z bar that's attached to it... Once you have it set on zero you should be good to go. If you purchased this from us and don't wish to fool with it, email me at service@willcoxcorvette.com and I'll just have the gauge picked up and replaced.

Ernie
Yes I got it from you but I think I will try to adjust it I want to get my dash back together. If I mess up I may order another one. LOL
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cdub270
Yes I got it from you but I think I will try to adjust it I want to get my dash back together. If I mess up I may order another one. LOL
When we rebuild them in house... we bend the Z that hooks to the bowden tube. If you do this to zero you should be okay...

E
Old 08-19-2018, 11:29 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

When we rebuild them in house... we bend the Z that hooks to the bowden tube. If you do this to zero you should be okay...

E
hey E. how was your weekend? :P

Get notified of new replies

To Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Ernie, Have a problem with my 74 L48, manual no A/C, no power brakes. Been trying to find where this wire connector goes. The black connector has three wires looks like tan, blue and green;
Thanks
Larry
Old 08-20-2018, 07:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by naramlee
hey E. how was your weekend? :P
Sadly.. I drove my 92k mile 62 on a road trip and suffered some damage... I'll have to report back on this tomorrow as to the extent. I curbed the front bumperettes and ripped one in half. Damn shame, I never take this car on road trips...

E
Old 08-20-2018, 07:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by red topless gator
Ernie, Have a problem with my 74 L48, manual no A/C, no power brakes. Been trying to find where this wire connector goes. The black connector has three wires looks like tan, blue and green;
Thanks
Larry
Larry,

Tomorrow I'll pull a schematic and see what I can find.
The following users liked this post:
red topless gator (08-21-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.