C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by AB_in_AUS
I'm re-commissioning the air conditioning on my 1979. I'm trying to confirm is the Air Conditioner Orfice Filter 77L-99is correct for a R134a system or is it different for a R12 gas system?

Thanks, Alan
It's the same.
The following users liked this post:
AB_in_AUS (02-16-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Avery-wolf
Hi, I have a 1976 stingray corvette, now the headlights go up and down abit slow and sometimes not at all. I have done troubleshooting for awhile now and just can't figure it out, the lines are all good and the actuator seals are brand new, now when I unplug the hose of a relay from the vacuum tank and plug my finger over the tank hole used for the line, the opposite side shoots up or down, ( depending on what you have it set to do ) and vice versa. I thought it was a relay but. Now I am not so sure and I do not understand what's going on. Please give your opinions and help on this issue because I don't want to waste money on something that may be working right. And is it possible to have a bad vacuum tank? I don't think it's the issue but idk at this point; thanks.

contact me on Instagram for faster responses: 1976_vette
Okay, lets start this one over from scratch and so I understand. When you pull the hose off the tank on either side (circle 1 below), the opposite side opens. When you are doing this do you have the headlamp switch on or the over-ride pulled?

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-11-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 AM
Avery-wolf
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Okay, lets start this one over from scratch and so I understand. When you pull the hose off the tank on either side (circle 1 below), the opposite side opens. When you are doing this do you have the headlamp switch on or the over-ride pulled?

I have done it using override AND also trying it with the normal pull out light switch, and I pull out a hose from the tank BUT then I plug that hole up with a finger, then the opposite side from that hole shoots up or down, whatever you have it set to do, so idk anymore
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello novice here.
I’ve taken on the project to finish my 78 so have been completing her piece by piece. It appears whoever painted her last removed whatever was at the bottom of the windshield and now all I have is the glass. I tried looking in the Assembly Manual but I’m not able to see what’s missing. Can someone tell me what I need to order to finish this? I know it must be molding or something?
Thank you
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Penelopegirl

Hello novice here.
I’ve taken on the project to finish my 78 so have been completing her piece by piece. It appears whoever painted her last removed whatever was at the bottom of the windshield and now all I have is the glass. I tried looking in the Assembly Manual but I’m not able to see what’s missing. Can someone tell me what I need to order to finish this? I know it must be molding or something?
Thank you
Nope that is how the factory did it. My 78 looks the same..
Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Windshield

Originally Posted by LenWoodruff
Nope that is how the factory did it. My 78 looks the same..
wow who’d have thought they’d left it bare. I found an after market cover but it won’t fit my car. My hood won’t close with it installed.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Good Morning:

Looking for a passenger - (right side) lap seat belt in Dark Saddle - just the lap belt with the provision for the shoulder belt. Do you know anyone who has just individual parts.. ( funds a little tight now)

Also which brans seat covers do you carry for the 72 corvette. I need to replace mine as the seams are splitting ..

Thanks ..
Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Penelopegirl
wow who’d have thought they’d left it bare. I found an after market cover but it won’t fit my car. My hood won’t close with it installed.
Thanks for the quick reply.
We carry the aftermarket wiper arm cover and there are several ways you can install it. One is Velcro which seems to be the method of choice since you can slip it off to access the wiper arms. You can bond it in, (I don't advise) or screw it down. But I've never heard of one that interfered with the hood closing.

Does the one you have look like this?

Willcox
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Good Morning:

Looking for a passenger - (right side) lap seat belt in Dark Saddle - just the lap belt with the provision for the shoulder belt. Do you know anyone who has just individual parts.. ( funds a little tight now)

Also which brans seat covers do you carry for the 72 corvette. I need to replace mine as the seams are splitting ..

Thanks ..
As far as the belts are concerned, your in trouble. I'd check Fleabay and other options, possibly put in a search so that if one is listed you can find it.

The covers; The main thing to consider when doing covers is more about the foam under them and sticking with one supplier. While I've installed both AK and Ca covers which both seem to be excellent covers and I've not had any issues with either one. But the CA foam is far superior in my opinion... you can read about the changes in seat foam at this link and I highly advise it. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...-seat-foam.pdf

Now... and just so you know. We will not do a seat cover installation in our shop without the customer buying new foam (and the install kit), and if you read the PDF above you'll see why.

Also, should you decide to do this installation you'll also need the hooking tool... and there is a video I can guide you to on how to do the installation if needed. It's really not that hard but there are other tricks to doing the installation besides the video. In the video the guy calling out the clip sizes calls out the wrong size and when you watch the video it looks so easy to hook the clips however, you must pay attention as to how the clips are installed. They are not pulled up and over but rather flipped over with the tool. If you pull them up and over you'll break the clips. Another tip would be when hooking the clips to the seat cover pry them open a tiny bit and use an awe to poke a guide hole in the listing.

Willcox

Willcox
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

Ernie
I have installed the side brackets (that you found for me) on my Removable Hardtop. I have read a number of post in regards to bending or reconfiguring the “egg crate paper” liner to fit the contours of the hard top. None seem to have been successful. The head liner that I have dosen’t touch the plastic anchor blocks in the center or around the sides. I am hoping you have some magic potent, or proven method to make the liner pliable, so that it can be made to fit better. I really cant justify
$ 700.00 to purchase a new liner ...... unless my lottery numbers are picked. As always thanks for all your help.
Eli
Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack
Ernie
I have installed the side brackets (that you found for me) on my Removable Hardtop. I have read a number of post in regards to bending or reconfiguring the “egg crate paper” liner to fit the contours of the hard top. None seem to have been successful. The head liner that I have dosen’t touch the plastic anchor blocks in the center or around the sides. I am hoping you have some magic potent, or proven method to make the liner pliable, so that it can be made to fit better. I really cant justify
$ 700.00 to purchase a new liner ...... unless my lottery numbers are picked. As always thanks for all your help.
Eli
If you are talking about the velcro style clips that hold the top side section to the top.

We put plastic fusion on the clip (or plastic weld, both are a two part epoxy). Then we use plastic clamps (you can guy at any cheap tool place and we use these because the pads are rubber) and clamp them until dry.

Once dry either the side pad will stay put, or it'll pull the clip out. If this happens we then epoxy the clip back to the side pad. If it stays put, we then heat the pad with a heat gun hoping it will loosen up a bit after glued. Remember once you glue them the only way to get it off is to tear up the liner...

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Ernie
Thanks for information. I read some old posts last night and learn that the replacement hardtop liners are not very good. They were old posts. Are the new liners still a poor fit?
Thanks for getting back to me so fast.
Eli
Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack
Ernie
Thanks for information. I read some old posts last night and learn that the replacement hardtop liners are not very good. They were old posts. Are the new liners still a poor fit?
Thanks for getting back to me so fast.
Eli
Even with the new liners, we glue the clips together so they don't come apart..

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
Eliredandblack (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Ernie, my '72 vert......the drivers side top of window rubber has even been shimmed with spacers between the top and the rubber, about 1/8 inch, the window is up top far as it can go, lined up nice with the w/shield , top goes up/down ok, I can not lower the top any more, on the deck damn tight as it is....I have played with the silly anchor bolts a lot, NO GO.....

I am ready to set rid of the silly hard rubber molded crap and go with soft foam rubber instead....I can make my own adaptations....but do you know of what car to find the rubber FROM??

the rear vertical is fine, the front is fine, window goes up far as possible as the front top tip fits fine there, just not in back, but the fit is good on the windshield post....leaving me nowhere to go.....BTW, the fore/aft adjustment on the support channel inside the door, is set to the rear far as possible, to allow window to go up much as possible.....like I said, a conundrum.....

Gene
Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Ernie, I was removing my electric choke wiring from fuse panel and found this:
https://willcoxcorvette.com/power-wi...per-wire-68-82

I thought it was bubba but then I found on your website that it is a connector for the power windows.
how come it is connected like that to the fuse panel?
I also found ground wires (2 of them) connected from the wiper motor to the driver side male hood lock?
Aren't those 2 ground wires supposed to connect to the starter motor bolt?

connector at wiper motor

Ground points

Last edited by Primoz; 02-17-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

We carry the aftermarket wiper arm cover and there are several ways you can install it. One is Velcro which seems to be the method of choice since you can slip it off to access the wiper arms. You can bond it in, (I don't advise) or screw it down. But I've never heard of one that interfered with the hood closing.

Does the one you have look like this?

Willcox
Yes that’s it. Not sure why the hood doesn’t want to close. It seems to be binding in each corner near the driver/passenger seats. I’ll let the other mechanic try because definitely looks better than the alternative.
Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I can't find the relay that sits closer to the firewall anywhere. Do you have one?

Is the one connected to it this one:
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...er-relay-68-72

Get notified of new replies

To Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrvette
Ernie, my '72 vert......the drivers side top of window rubber has even been shimmed with spacers between the top and the rubber, about 1/8 inch, the window is up top far as it can go, lined up nice with the w/shield , top goes up/down ok, I can not lower the top any more, on the deck damn tight as it is....I have played with the silly anchor bolts a lot, NO GO.....

I am ready to set rid of the silly hard rubber molded crap and go with soft foam rubber instead....I can make my own adaptations....but do you know of what car to find the rubber FROM??

the rear vertical is fine, the front is fine, window goes up far as possible as the front top tip fits fine there, just not in back, but the fit is good on the windshield post....leaving me nowhere to go.....BTW, the fore/aft adjustment on the support channel inside the door, is set to the rear far as possible, to allow window to go up much as possible.....like I said, a conundrum.....

Gene
Guys and gals.. I've been out of town and again... as bad as I hate to say it.. under the weather again... I'll take a look at all of these tomorrow... Mr... I've got your answer, I'll message tomorrow.

E
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Guys and gals.. I've been out of town and again... as bad as I hate to say it.. under the weather again... I'll take a look at all of these tomorrow... Mr... I've got your answer, I'll message tomorrow.

E
Again, I'll take a look tomorrow. Tuesday I fell and busted three ribs. I'm a jogger (and old for that matter) and what we call here "charlie crack" bit my butt. Hopefully I'll be felling better tomorrow.

E

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-22-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Ernie
My best wishes and prayers for a quick recovery. I never thought of jogging as a contact sport. I will assume there was some black ice from all the terrible weather in your area.

Get some rest!

Eli

Quick Reply: Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.