C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 07:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Well, I have an 81 Corvette Coupe, 350 engine and auto trans. When the car sits for a long period of time the transmission seems to empty out onto the floor. I took it in to the trans shop and explained that it leaks large amounts of fluid when the car sits for an extended period of time. All they did was watch the trans for the day, did not see any leaks and then serviced the trans. Still leaks, is this a front seal or pump seal issue? Rear seal is good.
Okay.. do you know where the leak is coming from. A common issue with the AT trans is the shifter shaft seal. But, what makes this a nightmare is the fact the people try to replace this seal by driving a screw drive into it. When they do the score the shifter shaft and it just cuts the seal all over again. The solution is to purchase the seal removal tool and if the shaft is scored from someone trying to replace it... you'll need to take the pan off the car and hopefully you can dress the scores made by the PO and if not you'll need to replace the shifter shaft... I hate to say it but this is probably one of the most common leaks we see in our shop... and most are due from people not having the correct tool to pull the seal. If you wish to get a link about this tool, email me direct @ service@Willcoxcorvette.com and I'll email you a link.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

Ernie
i hope that you are all mended from your running activities. With your help finding the rubber grommet, I installed a new coaxial antennae cable on my 73 convertible. It was pretty easy, except for when I had to hold the cable base through the ground plate and bezel. When I have a problem, I always turn to my favorite tool, a stick or piece of wood. After a few tries I was able to wedge the stick on the coaxial base, muffler, and then install the bezel along with a new gasket. I have noticed that the chrome top nut (that holds the antennae mast) does not have the correct diameter for the antennae mast, it seems too small. I noticed that when I removed the antennae mast, to install my hardtop that water is already getting to the base where the electrical connection is made. Would you guess the PO used the wrong Year Antenna Mast? The nut tightens ok, but doesn’t thread on the cable base very far. Also, the chrome nut had the same fitment issues with the old cable base. I know this is not a major problem, but it sorta looks funny, and I try to do things without evoking the BUBBA CLAUSE.

Take Care and be carful when your out running. I should talk, while the hard top was hanging from the electric hoist, I was looking at a schematic, not thinking, and walked into one of the ends, cut my forward. Lucky for me the vinyl lessen the blow!
Eli
Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack
Ernie
i hope that you are all mended from your running activities. With your help finding the rubber grommet, I installed a new coaxial antennae cable on my 73 convertible. It was pretty easy, except for when I had to hold the cable base through the ground plate and bezel. When I have a problem, I always turn to my favorite tool, a stick or piece of wood. After a few tries I was able to wedge the stick on the coaxial base, muffler, and then install the bezel along with a new gasket. I have noticed that the chrome top nut (that holds the antennae mast) does not have the correct diameter for the antennae mast, it seems too small. I noticed that when I removed the antennae mast, to install my hardtop that water is already getting to the base where the electrical connection is made. Would you guess the PO used the wrong Year Antenna Mast? The nut tightens ok, but doesn’t thread on the cable base very far. Also, the chrome nut had the same fitment issues with the old cable base. I know this is not a major problem, but it sorta looks funny, and I try to do things without evoking the BUBBA CLAUSE.

Take Care and be carful when your out running. I should talk, while the hard top was hanging from the electric hoist, I was looking at a schematic, not thinking, and walked into one of the ends, cut my forward. Lucky for me the vinyl lessen the blow!
Eli
Can you post me a picture of what you have?

E
Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Micha
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Will people told me you're the guy able to find an answer :

I'm quite more active in the LT-1 owner's thread, but I've been suggested to move up my question. There might be some NCRS judge or any well documented guy in this area, that could help me.
(Just forgive my approximate english as that's not my mother tongue, I live in France)

I've just discovered something that is not related by the 6th Edition of Judging Manual NCRS (I bought the book).

It's the last letter of my transmission stamped code. All figures are totally clear as my pictures shows (included the VIN number matching to my car) EXCEPT the last letter "K". I've zoomed the number to make it more readable in the red box.

Does anyone knows this matter enough to make an explication of the last K letter ?

Any information on this mysterious letter would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Micha; 05-04-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by 71DMK
Caskiguy... Can't thank you enough for the direection and photos. All are very helpful! I am repairing the inner AC box. I have everyting losened up and can see a 1" to 1.5" space between the AC box and the firewall. All bolts through the engine firewall and the AC box have been removed. Something is hanging up in the middle or lower right hand side of the AC box (if you're standing on the passenger side leaning over the AC box) preventing me from removing the AC box. It is my suspsicion that the heater core pipes are the culprit. Does that make sense. If so, would I be required to remove the hearter core? I want to avoid as I would have to tear apart the glove box, center gauge cluster and all associated duct work. Thoughts?...
There is a bolt/nut on the bottom right hand side which I found could only be removed from under the car with the splash shield removed. Pictures would help.

Btw, I didn't mean to interfere with Ask Willcox they have far more experience than I'll ever have. So I apologize Ernie. I missed that it was a question on your thread.

Last edited by caskiguy; 05-02-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add content
Old 05-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

You can see where the nut only goes on the base one turn or so..
Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

For me, and you might want to post this up on the NCRS site with the same question I'm sure there are people there that know more about the Muncie tranny's than I do. But it's always been my belief that if you have a Muncie with a similar character after the date, the exact meaning of this character is not known; there are suspicions but nothing proof wise to back up with facts.

Also, you might PM JohnZ from the c2 section, he's easy to find and he may have a better idea.

Sorry I'm not much help on this.

E
Micha (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Micha
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Will, I'll PM him.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:06 AM
dusty-dave
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like the converter drain back check not holding real well. The ball or the plate are damaged. I'd make a cash bet the trans shop was well aware and didnt want to ffuck with it. When it leaks the transmission in effect over fills and finds any little leaks like shifter shaft or dipstick tube seal. If it leaks bad enough the converter will be half empty and the fluid will come out the vent. If you don't want to take the valve body out and lap the metering plate and replace the ***** sometimes the breather assembly out of a 4X4 with the same trans raises the vent enough to stop it marking its spot.
Dusty
Old 05-03-2019, 12:14 AM
dusty-dave
8th Gear

My 82 has no gauges or tach or buzzers, I read 3.72 volts at the back of the gauges and tach and the same back probing the supply wire but read 12.75 at the fuse and the same when probing the fuse holder clips.The ground reads good. I tried injecting 12V into the pink w black tracer at the tach connector and the gauges fired up. Short of cutting the whole harness open any suggestions on possible corrosion spots? I assume a green connection somewhere. I certainly don't want to peel and rewrap the whole harness if I can help it.
Dusty
Old 05-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

On a previous question here I was having a hard time adjusting my left door glass. I had just replaced the left weatherstrip retainer. It is a GM licensed product. It is not the same as the factory piece. I put my old factory ws retainer back on. Now the window can be adjusted. It seems to be very close. Haven't water checked it yet.
Craig
Factory part is on the right.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Street Rat; 05-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.
caskiguy (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack

You can see where the nut only goes on the base one turn or so..
Something isn't right on this installation,

Below is the factory antenna installed on my 72 which would be the same, I just took it apart a few years ago to help someone else with the installation.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by caskiguy
There is a bolt/nut on the bottom right hand side which I found could only be removed from under the car with the splash shield removed. Pictures would help.

Btw, I didn't mean to interfere with Ask Willcox they have far more experience than I'll ever have. So I apologize Ernie. I missed that it was a question on your thread.
No worries, life is good...
Old 05-04-2019, 08:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dusty-dave
This sounds like the converter drain back check not holding real well. The ball or the plate are damaged. I'd make a cash bet the trans shop was well aware and didnt want to ffuck with it. When it leaks the transmission in effect over fills and finds any little leaks like shifter shaft or dipstick tube seal. If it leaks bad enough the converter will be half empty and the fluid will come out the vent. If you don't want to take the valve body out and lap the metering plate and replace the ***** sometimes the breather assembly out of a 4X4 with the same trans raises the vent enough to stop it marking its spot.
Dusty
In most cases when the shifter shaft seal is leaking fluid it's from previous damage from someone without the correct tool to remove the shaft seal. People always want to stick a screw driver or pick in there and pry it out.... When this happens it scores the shaft and you have to remove the shaft and butterfly linkage from the tranny, and chuck it in a lathe to smooth the marks since putting a new seal in will only result in another leaking seal. If the scores are to large then the shaft will need to be replaced. It's just my own experience and we've had great success in stopping leaking shaft seals by doing it this way... It could be another problem but the most common is a scored shift shaft.

IMHO,

E
Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

My 82 has no gauges or tach or buzzers, I read 3.72 volts at the back of the gauges and tach and the same back probing the supply wire but read 12.75 at the fuse and the same when probing the fuse holder clips.The ground reads good. I tried injecting 12V into the pink w black tracer at the tach connector and the gauges fired up. Short of cutting the whole harness open any suggestions on possible corrosion spots? I assume a green connection somewhere. I certainly don't want to peel and rewrap the whole harness if I can help it.
Dusty
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Wiper motor issues and for most gauges... the answers to these can be found by searching our tech site. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/ .

Simply enter your year, then search with one simple word... "Wiper" "gauge" "temp" and so on.... If you search and read, you can in most cases solve your own problem.

I'm sorry, but the request for wiper motor help and individual gauge issue help has exceeded my human ability... I'm wiper motored and gauged out.

The help is there on the tech site.... the only issue is you must be willing to read the info and there is plenty there and if you do, you'll find your answers.

Ernie
I hate to say it, but as I posted in my original post, I'll not be doing tach questions. I've published all kinds of info on my tech page at this link.... Just enter the year, and then search tach.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-04-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Street Rat
On a previous question here I was having a hard time adjusting my left door glass. I had just replaced the left weatherstrip retainer. It is a GM licensed product. It is not the same as the factory piece. I put my old factory ws retainer back on. Now the window can be adjusted. It seems to be very close. Haven't water checked it yet.
Craig
Factory part is on the right.
The original one is on the right? The one on the left needs a new blow out plug, it's coming apart. But... Just make darn sure that the weatherstrip retainer will sit on the pillar completely flat and not rock when the screws are tight. This is a very common issue and relevant to what I believe I addressed in my earlier post.... if the retainer rocks the weatherstrip will move and bind when the glass hits it. I hope you got it fixed, keep me posted.

Ernie
Street Rat (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 PM
dusty-dave
8th Gear

I hate to say it, but as I posted in my original post, I'll not be doing tach questions. I've published all kinds of info on my tech page at this link.... Just enter the year, and then search tach.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/
If you read the whole question it's a power supply question the tach works fine if I jump power to it, I wouldn't have asked if it was covered in any tech I could find!

Get notified of new replies

To Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:19 PM
dusty-dave
8th Gear

In most cases when the shifter shaft seal is leaking fluid it's from previous damage from someone without the correct tool to remove the shaft seal. People always want to stick a screw driver or pick in there and pry it out.... When this happens it scores the shaft and you have to remove the shaft and butterfly linkage from the tranny, and chuck it in a lathe to smooth the marks since putting a new seal in will only result in another leaking seal. If the scores are to large then the shaft will need to be replaced. It's just my own experience and we've had great success in stopping leaking shaft seals by doing it this way... It could be another problem but the most common is a scored shift shaft.

IMHO,

E
Should the fluid be above the shifter seal when it's parked?
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

If you read the whole question it's a power supply question the tach works fine if I jump power to it, I wouldn't have asked if it was covered in any tech I could find!
I did read the entire question....

The info to figure your problem out is listed on the tech site if you take the time to read it....
There are schematics on how to test the power, there are instructions on how to remove the cluster and the speedo tach housing... There is more than enough info there for you to figure it out.... if you take the time to read it.

Here is an example
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1978&s=tach

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=1978&s=printed

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/c...ink-1978-1982/

Ernie
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Default Antenna Mast Nut Problem

Mast Nut with antennae mast showing bottom collar

Nut threads all the way down, without antenna mast and too large collar

After a couple of weeks corrosion has started on the anyway body.
Something isn't right on this installation,

Below is the factory antenna installed on my 72 which would be the same, I just took it apart a few years ago to help someone else with the installation.

Ernie
Thanks for getting back to after I forwarded the antenna mast pictures to you. I was a car show today and notice a friends 72 with the same antenna nut not threading down on bezel nut. His antenna mast looks exactly like mine. From the picture you sent me, my antenna mast is like the one on the bottom most picture, there is a large color at the bottom exactly like your picture. Also, when I remove the antenna mast the nut treads on very nicely. My guess is the diameter of the antenna mast “collar” at the bottom is to large for the Antenna Mast Nut. If the nut wasn’t chrome, I could enlarge the hole on the Mast Nut. The picture of the 69-77 Fixed Mast does NOT show a collar/sleeve like the one in the bottom most picture (The one I have). Could I have the wrong mast? The mast and collar were on the car when I bought her. If I had the mast without the collar, (your middle picture) I believe the Mast Nut would thread all the way down. Here are so more pictures.
Thanks for your input.
Eli
Willcox Corvette (05-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Ask Willcox A Question Here and Hopefully others will respond.