Rookie c3 drag racing video

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:16 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rookie c3 drag racing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8B...ature=youtu.be

First time at the track.. We were the noobs..

Like the video and subscribe if you enjoyed!
The following 2 users liked this post by FirebirdStrip:
ajrothm (06-13-2018), terrys6t8roadster (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:46 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Very sweet car and fun day, thanks for the share, very motivating, i needed this today

In the early 90s i took my modded 66 to street day at a drag track.
I ran twice in the 13s and delt everything about my shifting was wrong,
I had my seasoned track rat buddy run it and he almost got into the 11s, so yeah, i did suck,

I laminated his time slip taped it to the glove box so when i went to a cruise and someone would wanna race which with a modded 66 was alot,, i told them go look on the glovebox, if you can beat it, cool...
Old 06-09-2018, 02:54 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Thank you for the feedback and I am glad you liked it! It made all the time of editing worth it.

We are going to make another video when we go back. Now we have a much better idea of how to launch on street tires so we won't blow them off...

Actually we have an msd 2 step and I (the first one to go) didnt have the clutch all the way depressed so I ended up launching at 5K =0. My dad (last one) did launch on the 2 step at 3.5K but that was obviously too much RPM. I have turned it down so we will have to test it out.

Anyway, thanks for watching and the like!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:02 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebirdStrip
Thank you for the feedback and I am glad you liked it! It made all the time of editing worth it.

We are going to make another video when we go back. Now we have a much better idea of how to launch on street tires so we won't blow them off...

Actually we have an msd 2 step and I (the first one to go) didnt have the clutch all the way depressed so I ended up launching at 5K =0. My dad (last one) did launch on the 2 step at 3.5K but that was obviously too much RPM. I have turned it down so we will have to test it out.

Anyway, thanks for watching and the like!
I really did like it, the edit is great, most videos i find self serving tripe and click out in 3 seconds, you know that "hey, watch me, how cool i think i am" crap yours was down to earth honest fun...

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-09-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:42 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Nice video. Keep us posted on your progress.
The following users liked this post:
FirebirdStrip (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Nice video. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Asleep at the tree and you forgot the hood.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Originally Posted by maj75
Asleep at the tree and you forgot the hood.
Wasn't the only time or place I was sleepin! And yeah, still need to get a L88 hood to fit the rpm air gap intake with carb spacer.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:08 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I want those slotted rims from the early pics....you still have them?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Thanks for the youtube comment

Yes, I still have the wheels. I need to sell them at some point! I was thinking I might have to do it locally because of the cost of shipping (I am in Boise, ID)...
Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

EASE IT OUT OF THE HOLE then it'll take all you give it. Launch as the last amber comes ON. Air down the rear tires a bit. I bet it'll hit high 12s at 115
FirebirdStrip (06-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8B...ature=youtu.be

First time at the track.. We were the noobs..

Like the video and subscribe if you enjoyed!

Its awesome to see another C3 out drag racing.... Especially someone just starting out...

A few tips...

1) Go out on real tires, its pointless to drag race on street tires

2) Learn how to do a real burn out that actually puts heat in the tires.
2nd gear, on the brakes, see the smoke then roll out. Make sure you are checking the air pressure in the tires when they are warm. Start at around 18-19 psi warm on a drag radial and go down as needed if it spins... Never go under 16 psi on a drag radial.

3) You GOTTA learn to slip the clutch.... Just dumping it is a recipe to blow the tires off (like you did) or break parts big time.... Not to mention you will 60' WAY better by slipping the clutch while feeding in the throttle..keeping the rpms up.

4) If it spins or wheel hops, just abort the run, there is no point in continuing to drive/spin through it....and whatever you do, DON'T SHIFT GEARS AND STAY ON THE THROTTLE..... All you will do is spin worse, increase the wheel speed and fish tail the car, exactly like you did there....Doing what you did on a drag radial will likely wheel hop the axles right out of it...

5) Make notes on the time slips... Track the weather conditions and what happened on each pass....and any changes made to the car. Eventually, you'll need this data to really improve the ET once you can consistently get A to B.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. You have a 13.90 car there with some drag radials and practice driving. Keep up the good work and have fun!!

Beautiful car BTW.... But I loved it with the slot mags...

Last edited by ajrothm; 06-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.
FirebirdStrip (06-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:28 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the youtube comment

Yes, I still have the wheels. I need to sell them at some point! I was thinking I might have to do it locally because of the cost of shipping (I am in Boise, ID)...
Can you PM me with a price....I just might come pick them up
Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 PM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah the ansen slotted sprint wheels looked great on that car
Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Can you PM me with a price....I just might come pick them up
PM Sent
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 AM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Its awesome to see another C3 out drag racing.... Especially someone just starting out...

A few tips...

1) Go out on real tires, its pointless to drag race on street tires

2) Learn how to do a real burn out that actually puts heat in the tires.
2nd gear, on the brakes, see the smoke then roll out. Make sure you are checking the air pressure in the tires when they are warm. Start at around 18-19 psi warm on a drag radial and go down as needed if it spins... Never go under 16 psi on a drag radial.

3) You GOTTA learn to slip the clutch.... Just dumping it is a recipe to blow the tires off (like you did) or break parts big time.... Not to mention you will 60' WAY better by slipping the clutch while feeding in the throttle..keeping the rpms up.

4) If it spins or wheel hops, just abort the run, there is no point in continuing to drive/spin through it....and whatever you do, DON'T SHIFT GEARS AND STAY ON THE THROTTLE..... All you will do is spin worse, increase the wheel speed and fish tail the car, exactly like you did there....Doing what you did on a drag radial will likely wheel hop the axles right out of it...

5) Make notes on the time slips... Track the weather conditions and what happened on each pass....and any changes made to the car. Eventually, you'll need this data to really improve the ET once you can consistently get A to B.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. You have a 13.90 car there with some drag radials and practice driving. Keep up the good work and have fun!!

Beautiful car BTW.... But I loved it with the slot mags...
Thank you for the tips! I learned alot just from just one pass. I will SLIP the clutch next time and get it going a little bit before I floor it! =)

I am going to stay on street tires because its not a true drag car (plus I dont want to put the money into a 12 bolt right now - another reason to slip the clutch). We are just going to try to see how fast we can go on street tires. I know our ET isnt going to be great, and we shift slowly, BUT our goal is 100 MPH.

We have the autogear m22z kit in our muncie with a 3-36 rear end so we lose alot of umpf shifting into 4th. Its really nice for street driving but not ideal for running it down the strip.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:37 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

So Back on post #9 I mentioned i was interested in those rims on the original vid clip.....

I made contact with the thread poster, and a plan was hatched to go get the rims....17 hrs driving each way, a couple of nights in hotels, and a border crossing with a puzzled look from the border guard I had the rims at my place.
I spent many hours sanding and polishing, ordered new caps and lug nuts, had the tires changed over to the ones I had on my car....the ones on the rims were 18 years old....I put a knife through the sidewall on all of them to ensure nobody could use them
I just think the 15" rims look better on these cars, (I respect others views about the looks of the 17 or 18" rims but I think your wrong,) and I've been looking for a complete set like these for several years now...so I jumped at the chance to buy them.

-He sold them to me for $130
-Traveling expenses $720
-New caps and lugs $250
-Tire change over
and Balance $150

- Total $1250 Can...... about $875 US

You can call me crazy, but I'm happy as a pig in

SHIP

Last edited by OMF; 08-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie c3 drag racing video

Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

So Back on post #9 I mentioned i was interested in those rims on the original vid clip.....

I made contact with the thread poster, and a plan was hatched to go get the rims....17 hrs driving each way, a couple of nights in hotels, and a border crossing with a puzzled look from the border guard I had the rims at my place.
I spent many hours sanding and polishing, ordered new caps and lug nuts, had the tires changed over to the ones I had on my car....the ones on the rims were 18 years old....I put a knife through the sidewall on all of them to ensure nobody could use them
I just think the 15" rims look better on these cars, (I respect others views about the looks of the 17 or 18" rims but I think your wrong,) and I've been looking for a complete set like these for several years now...so I jumped at the chance to buy them.

-He sold them to me for $130
-Traveling expenses $720
-New caps and lugs $250
-Tire change over
and Balance $150

- Total $1250 Can...... about $875 US

You can call me crazy, but I'm happy as a pig in

SHIP
Sorry, Firebirdstrip - not to hijack the thread here. Rims look awesome, sstocker31 - worth the time, effort, drive and $$$ to pick them up. Nicely done - love the old school look.

Last edited by bkvette3; 08-12-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Great video especially the editing, how you line everything up. First time at the track is definitely a hoot! Hoping to take mine to the track one of these weeks before the summer is out.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 PM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Thanks! Since then I've run 2 times and broke 100 mph at 14.1

BTW I drove on those tires for like a week 😂. Definitely made me nervous when I could put my fingernails in the cracks in the sidewall. Glad you are enjoying them! They look good.

Quick Reply: Rookie c3 drag racing video