C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 AM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default turn signal problems

I have an issue that just started that's a little odd so I want to talk it through in case anyone else has encountered something similar or see if I'm missing something simple before digging any deeper.

Previous weekend everything worked fine. Last night I noticed that the left turn signals weren't working. Rear lit up but didn't blink and no indicator in the dash and no light on the sidemarker or front turn signal.

Right side works so I think that rules out the flasher.
Replaced the bulbs in the turn signal and sidemarker even though that looked good so those are new.
I pulled out the pigtail to the turnsignal and hooked it up to a DC supply and was able to light up both elements of the bulb so that should be good as well as verifying the bulb.
I have parking lights all the way around the car so I think that rules out a ground issue.
Since the rear comes on but doesn't flash I would assume that the switch is good and the connector and the base of the column has a good connection.

It almost seems like I have a broken wire for the turn signal in the left front between the pigtail back to ???? Everything looked secure at the firewall bulkhead.

Any ideas on specific places I should look first before I start yanking wires and start tracing all the way through?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

You could use a test light at the harmonic connector at the steering column to insure it is flashing there to rule out turn signal assy and then try at bulkhead connector and so on. If you have it there and not at bulb pigtail try an ohmmeter and check to make sure the wire is good
Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoDrgn
I have an issue that just started that's a little odd so I want to talk it through in case anyone else has encountered something similar or see if I'm missing something simple before digging any deeper.

Previous weekend everything worked fine. Last night I noticed that the left turn signals weren't working. Rear lit up but didn't blink and no indicator in the dash and no light on the sidemarker or front turn signal.

Right side works so I think that rules out the flasher.
Replaced the bulbs in the turn signal and sidemarker even though that looked good so those are new.
I pulled out the pigtail to the turnsignal and hooked it up to a DC supply and was able to light up both elements of the bulb so that should be good as well as verifying the bulb.
I have parking lights all the way around the car so I think that rules out a ground issue.
Since the rear comes on but doesn't flash I would assume that the switch is good and the connector and the base of the column has a good connection.

It almost seems like I have a broken wire for the turn signal in the left front between the pigtail back to ???? Everything looked secure at the firewall bulkhead.

Any ideas on specific places I should look first before I start yanking wires and start tracing all the way through?

I have the same issue however both signals stopped working. Went through all the steps you described. In the end, Wilcox sent me a diagram ( I think it was on the thread I started about the issue). Basically it had me check continuity on the signal end of the harness at particular points while positioning the signal lever. All indicated the switch itself was bad. That was last Fall. Winter came and nothing was done on my end. Going to install in the next few weeks and will let you know. Try to look up my thread in this section. Pretty sure the instructions were on there and they are very easy to follow. Just make sure you have a really good ground (no painted surfaces) when using your meter. At least that way to can determine if it is the switch or not. FYI my car is a 68. Good luck!

Last edited by avalonjohn; 06-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:10 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by henrikse
You could use a test light at the harmonic connector at the steering column to insure it is flashing there to rule out turn signal assy and then try at bulkhead connector and so on. If you have it there and not at bulb pigtail try an ohmmeter and check to make sure the wire is good

If your right side is working which I believe is the dark blue wire....it should make the test light flash. The light blue is for the left side.

I feel it is in your turn signal switch...because If you apply 12 volts DC to the light blue wire in your harmonica connector...the left side front light and dash indicator light should shine.
The following users liked this post:
Silver 7T8 (07-16-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by DUB

If your right side is working which I believe is the dark blue wire....it should make the test light flash. The light blue is for the left side.

I feel it is in your turn signal switch...because If you apply 12 volts DC to the light blue wire in your harmonica connector...the left side front light and dash indicator light should shine.
So I pulled the harmonica connector to have a look at which position the light blue was in before I dove in and on a whim, plugged it back in and gave it another try and sure enough, now it works It didn't feel loose when I pulled it apart and the rest of the functions going through that connector all work so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. Maybe that one terminal in the connector is losing tension to make good contact.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Do to the connector location ...it can also be highly possible that dust, dirt and possible moisture corrosion effected the connection. And by you simply taking it apart an putting it back together. Kinda made it so the connection is now making better contact. Seen this numerous times.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To turn signal problems

Quick Reply: turn signal problems