Sponsored by:

how to locate my car i sold HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 PM
kpdofficer126
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to locate my car i sold HELP

Can anyone help me? I'm desperately trying to locate my 1974 corvette I sold back in 2007. I looked up the vin online but for some reason it's not taking it because it's older and not long enough vin. I know the guy lived in texas. I have a safety report i think from an inspection from 2011 in texas but has the garage name who did inspection but that's it. This car was given to me by my uncle as a wedding gift. I was young and stupid at the time and kept putting money into the engine and car and sold it. My uncle just recently passed away suddenly and this is something that i've been wanting to do for ever, but since he passed away a couple months ago, I really want to locate the owner and try and buy it back. there is so much heart love value in this car and i don't know what else to do to locate it. The vin is 1Z37T4S410012. it's a 1974 white corvette stingray. PLEASE HELP. The vin report came back to Harlingen texas in 2011. It showed a license plate of 993 TYL.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:25 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Not wanting to be a noisy negativist but if you find it you might not like what you find,

Happened to me with a kit car, but it came hunting me, they had really butchered it along the way,

And if you are serious and cant find the actual one perhaps get one that has all the same options it could still be that tirbute
Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Try a title search through the Texas DMV. You may be able to determine if the car is around.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Try a title search through the Texas DMV. You may be able to determine if the car is around.
Well, it's not in the C3 registry.
https://www.c3registry.com/index.php.
You won't get much from the DMV, most all only keep records for 10 years and if they do still have the info, they won't give out names or addresses because of privacy laws. Good luck with your hunt.

Maybe something here will help you.
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...x.php?cmd=area

I paid this guy to research a 71' Corvette I once owned. Found some info I never could of.
http://www.autoancestry.com/success2.htm

Last edited by Duke94; 06-17-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Use this link:
https://dmvdesk.com/reports-2/nmvtis/

and scroll down to the VIN number box. Enter the VIN. IF a record exists, it will tell you and state the cost of the record is $2.

If no record exists, it will state that at no charge.

Example
DMVdesk Gives Car Buyers and Dealers Peace of Mind
The NMVTIS Report gives consumers and car dealers essential information to help them avoid buying vehicles with problematic histories. Under federal law, insurance companies, salvage companies and auctioneers, junkyards, and certain towing companies are required to report junked and salvaged vehicles to NMVTIS. California law requires that dealers run an NMVTIS Report prior to offering a vehicle for sale. If a vehicle has a brand history, then a cautionary red sticker must be placed on its window and the report must be provided to a buyer upon request.

Protect Yourself With an NMVTIS Report
Cost: $2.00 per VIN request.

There is no charge if no record is found.

*Enter VIN:

E53F001001
No Title History record is available for the VIN.

Example
The NMVTIS Report gives consumers and car dealers essential information to help them avoid buying vehicles with problematic histories. Under federal law, insurance companies, salvage companies and auctioneers, junkyards, and certain towing companies are required to report junked and salvaged vehicles to NMVTIS. California law requires that dealers run an NMVTIS Report prior to offering a vehicle for sale. If a vehicle has a brand history, then a cautionary red sticker must be placed on its window and the report must be provided to a buyer upon request.

*Enter VIN:

E53F001003
Title History record is available.
Buy report for VIN E53F001003 ($2.00).
The following users liked this post:
leadfoot4 (07-22-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Use this link:

and scroll down to the VIN number box. Enter the VIN. IF a record exists, it will tell you and state the cost of the record is $2.

Example

*Enter VIN:

E53F001001

Example

*Enter VIN:

E53F001003
That's cool, Never knew it was available. Would be interested in what the OP gets for the 2 bucks. Hope he hits pay dirt.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

I just paid $2 and got a report for my car.

Even though I know the guy that bought it from a used car lot in 1984 the earliest title on record was 2002- so a little disappointing there, but it did have the mileage in 2002 listed - which I did not know, so that was worth $2 I guess.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:14 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Well, you probably got more than if you had 'invested' in a PowerBall ticket...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 AM
BarryB72
Drifting

For sure.

Oh, and I checked my paperwork and I actually had a copy of the title from 2002 with the mileage on it, so at the minimum you can get some documentation on how the mileage has progressed if the car has been sold
Old 06-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BarryB72
For sure.

Oh, and I checked my paperwork and I actually had a copy of the title from 2002 with the mileage on it, so at the minimum you can get some documentation on how the mileage has progressed if the car has been sold
I just bought my 2 dollar report. The only owners it had listed was me and the flipper I bought it from. So only one year history with no names, addresses etc. This won't help the OP find his car.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
That's cool, Never knew it was available. Would be interested in what the OP gets for the 2 bucks. Hope he hits pay dirt.

Me neither...

Just for grins, I logged on to the site, and plugged in the VIN for the 1977 Pontiac Trans Am that I owned from 9/1976 through 7/2001, when I traded it for my '01 C-5. Although the DMV history is far from thorough, the car made it from the Rochester, New York area to Montana, where it shows up in 2007. It then shows up in Arizona, in January of 2018, and then in Nebraska, in April of 2018. It appears to have accumulated, if honestly recorded, about 15,000 miles since I sold it.....
Old 06-18-2018, 07:01 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a MINT 82 Z28 Camaro about 8 years ago. I had replaced everything on the car, even got it painted. Fresh parts from motor to rear end. Eventually I ran out of things to fix (NEVER A PROBLEM ON MY CORVETTE ) SO I sold it to fund my Vette.

2 years later while cruising the local Craigslist, I see my old Camaro being listed dirt cheap, and as a roller. (engine blown) By the looks of the picture, it been sitting outside all winter. I was heartbroken and ALMOST tempted to buy it back, but common sense got the best of me.

OP, I hope your results are better than mine were if you ever find your lost Corvette. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Just checked a 79 T/A vin I used to have. No records before 2002 either.

Must be an Ohio thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Scottd
I had a MINT 82 Z28 Camaro about 8 years ago. I had replaced everything on the car, even got it painted. Fresh parts from motor to rear end. Eventually I ran out of things to fix (NEVER A PROBLEM ON MY CORVETTE ) SO I sold it to fund my Vette.

2 years later while cruising the local Craigslist, I see my old Camaro being listed dirt cheap, and as a roller. (engine blown) By the looks of the picture, it been sitting outside all winter. I was heartbroken and ALMOST tempted to buy it back, but common sense got the best of me.

OP, I hope your results are better than mine were if you ever find your lost Corvette. Good luck.

I had something similar happen....I owned an '85 Firebird SE for about 10 years. It was still in excellent shape when I sold it, I just wanted a new car, and bought a '96 Z-28. A friend of mine knew a young fellow who was looking for a decent used car, and got the two of us together. The kid had the car less than 3 weeks, before he "piled it up". I saw the car and was sick over what he had done to it....
Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

We've been doing too much business on the dmv site guys. They just raised the price to $4.95.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:38 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BarryB72
We've been doing too much business on the dmv site guys. They just raised the price to $4.95.
If that's true, they should be giving us a "quantity discount"!!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If that's true, they should be giving us a "quantity discount"!!
I think Nowhere Man should get the extra $2.95 from the DMV site since he's the one that turned us all on to it.
I just looked up a 78' Vette (the one in my avatar) I sold locally to the brother of a fellow worker. After 3 years he sold it and according to the DMV report it is now in Arizona from Michigan. That's a switch, usually they go the other way. Kinda fun to look up old stuff like this.

Last edited by Duke94; 06-19-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To how to locate my car i sold HELP

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM
kpdofficer126
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Use this link:

Example

*Enter VIN:

E53F001001

Example

*Enter VIN:

E53F001003
i tried that. All the information it gave me was it’s in Texas in 2007, the year I sold it. Everything else has NO INFORMATION.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kpdofficer126

i tried that. All the information it gave me was it’s in Texas in 2007, the year I sold it. Everything else has NO INFORMATION.
I would interpret that as whoever bought the car in 2007 still has it.....
Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

UPDATE!

I tried a search for my former T/A, again, this time using the VIN, along with the search terms including "in Nebraska", based on the info I got from the "DMVdesk", and I FOUND THE CAR! It's at a muscle car restoration shop/sales lot in Lincoln, Nebraska, called "Restore A Muscle Car". It's currently listed as stock number 975, in their inventory, and they're asking $26,900 for it.....

THANKS, "Nowhere Man" for posting that information!!
The following users liked this post:
Nowhere Man (07-22-2018)

Quick Reply: how to locate my car i sold HELP