Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Convertible top adjustment?

Old 03-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Sunburned69
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 69 Convertible top adjustment?

I'm looking for a little guidance on adjusting the top on my 69 (if that's even possible).

There is a new top on this car (please forgive my terminology) and in the front of the top there are 2 "spears", one on either side, that are supposed to go into a receiver mounted to the top of the windshield frame. I bought new spears from Zip because the passenger side had the spear tip broken off.

After much futzing (and several bad words) I can only get one side into the receiver, I'm off by a 1/4" no matter which way I push the top. I can get all three locks to close tightly but am missing the ability to get one of the spears into the receiver. My suspicion is that the PO couldn't manage to do that either and simply just broke the spear tip off.

Does anyone have any adjustment advice as this doesn't seem super safe to me???

Oh, the things you discover when you have one of these babies...(and I'm sure I'm not done discovering things...)

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:47 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

It’s in the adjustment behind the side of the seats.
not a big deal just a little push. Just remember this do not
over tighten those bolts they will strip out easily.
just push.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:40 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,252 Likes on 3,901 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you need to go to the aim for adjustments , just dont start turning bolts....If you must.... put down the windows, disconnect the rear latches so the rear of the top is free.

then insert the spear tips in the front, then latch the 3 latches. Then look and see how far off the rear deck the top is. If its just a tight top you need to put it in the sun and heat the top up so you can stretch it and then latch the rear pins into the deck. If its more than 4 or 5 inches you may want to lower the top buy adjusting the B pillar posts lower, but this will require you to readjust your windows. Again you need the AIM to do this correctly. Also if the top is off more than 4 inches the PO might have put it on and did it wrong...like mine and you will have to have it replaced
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (03-06-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Convertible top adjustment?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Convertible top adjustment?