Sponsored by:

No start ??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 AM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No start ??????

I've been chasing this problem for a while to no avail. 76 Vet, automatic, tilt tele, L48, TH350, now 383 Stroker.

The car had been starting very reliably. Drove to the car wash bay and shut it off for a bubble bath. After 30 min I get in and engine won't crank. With the key in the on position I have dash, brake, tail, radio, turn signals, headlamps. All functions as they should be. When I turn the key to crank the engine there's no click, starter, or engine crank. The only thing that happens is with the key in the start position the e-brake dash lamp illuminates. I call a friend with a floor jack and with the key in the on position, jump the starter solenoid and she fires right up. HUMMMMMMM? I drive the car back to my shop and temporarily put one of these on under the hood then hit the forum to begin researching the problem.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/.../124dd/4398554

First I replace the neutral safety switch. Nothing changes. I replace the ignition start switch at the base of the steering column, still no change. All conditions are still as described above.

Any ideas where to go from here???????????????????

By the way, when I rebuilt the engine I went with a new high torque mini starter and it is working fine.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Default try this

After ensuring you have positive battery and ground at starter which you probably do since you can jump the solenoid you only have a few wire to ohm out to ensure are there. There is a purple , orange and red. I think it is the purple or orange that you are after but someone may chime in. I will include a schematic for you to chase down the wires from the ignition to starter. you can check from ignition to connector at bottom of column and there to starter. Make sure this connector is inserted good. You could take apart and clean up with emery cloth or contact cleaner spray and put back together . Maybe that will do it. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
DaGuvner (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:07 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 78 L82 4 speed. Mine is intermittent. I do think it has a crisis detector and acts up when I'm least able to deal with it. A PO disconnected and removed the clutch safety switch as well as the transmission lock out cable. Makes me think this problem has been with this car for a while. All wires and grounds are clean. I put in a rebuilt starter but still intermittent no start. Guy at the rebuild shop thinks I need to replace the starter relay. Hope to do that soon. I'l post my results which may be a help to you or save you the cost of a new relay. I installed a remote switch under the hood and car starts right away when using it.
DaGuvner (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Originally Posted by biackbenz
I have the exact same problem with my 78 L82 4 speed. Mine is intermittent. I do think it has a crisis detector and acts up when I'm least able to deal with it. A PO disconnected and removed the clutch safety switch as well as the transmission lock out cable. Makes me think this problem has been with this car for a while. All wires and grounds are clean. I put in a rebuilt starter but still intermittent no start. Guy at the rebuild shop thinks I need to replace the starter relay. Hope to do that soon. I'l post my results which may be a help to you or save you the cost of a new relay. I installed a remote switch under the hood and car starts right away when using it.

Sounds exactly like my problem. 2 Years ago the same thing happened to me 45 miles from home. Took a ride home with the tow truck driver vet on back. When we go back to town and slid the car off the truck I tried to start it again and it fired right up. REALLY!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 04:24 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

If you enjoy driving the car maybe yyou could connect a remote start switch through a grommet in the firewall so that the start button will be secured near the steering column. Then you could easily start the car when it "acts up". This will give you time to solve the problem while still being able to drive the car. JUST MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN PARK OR NUETRAL IF YOU USE THE REMOTE START SWITCH!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:38 PM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Originally Posted by doorgunner
If you enjoy driving the car maybe yyou could connect a remote start switch through a grommet in the firewall so that the start button will be secured near the steering column. Then you could easily start the car when it "acts up". This will give you time to solve the problem while still being able to drive the car. JUST MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN PARK OR NUETRAL IF YOU USE THE REMOTE START SWITCH!

Yes I thought about that but I don't know if there is available grommet it would fit thru. I'm getting tired of raising the hood to start the car (lol). I have however drawn a lot of attention and my motor is getting seen with wow comments.

This whole incident kind of makes me want to install a proper push button start in the dash or maybe in the side of the shifter console at the side of the seat. (nice theft prevention, if you have the key you still have to know to push the button.)
Old 06-21-2018, 05:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There are only a few possibilities:

Ignition switch problem (only at 'start' position); bad starter solenoid (starter is obviously fine); bad battery cable; bad starter ground cable; bad wire/connection between ignition switch and solenoid (check this with VOM looking for 12vdc when key in 'start' position).
DaGuvner (06-22-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 AM
DaGuvner
Advanced

I was talking with a buddy who built a beautiful LS powered drop top 65 Impala SS. He said because the e-brake light comes on it has to be a grounding issue. Any one buy that??
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Painless Performance Products #30202. Installation Instructions are available for download on Summit Racing web site.

I swear this post will probably get me banned for life.

Get notified of new replies

To No start ??????

Quick Reply: No start ??????