C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do we become pricks to people who compliment out cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 PM
wisoutlaw
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When do we become ****** to people who compliment out cars?

So a short while ago I came out of a local big box store and across the aisle from my truck was this drop dead gorgeous gun metal gray C2 roadster. I've never seen the car around here (small town). I complimented the driver as I walked to my truck, and mentioned I'm weeks away from having my '69 roadster on the road again. I got a grunt in return.

Shortly after that he fired it up. Side pipes burbling, impressive. As he slowly drove past me I politely said, sounds great. What motor are you running? I got a grudging and grunted reply "big one".

Really?

You all have my permission to shoot me if I ever speak that way to someone who compliments my car and asks questions about it.

Popular Reply

06-23-2018, 07:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

My experience is that there are basically two kinds of vintage Corvette owners: 1) the ones who love the car design, love doing the work to bring them back to life, and enjoy driving them anywhere so that others can enjoy them; 2) the ones who have the money to buy the car they want to show off and brag about. The latter group rarely does any mechanical work or even detailing on their cars...they hire it done. Folks in group #1 will talk to anyone about their car or about cars in general; they want to share what they have learned 'the hard way'. Group #2 owners just want to drive the car by you in hopes that you will drool and they can put their nose in the air and ignore you.

Don't know if others have similar views or not. I'll look at anyone's car and try to start a conversation. Group 2 folks don't seem to converse much.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:51 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe it was his wife's car and he was grumpy because his Prius was in the shop.
The following users liked this post:
ZERRY 316 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

some curmudgeon fellow is not being as friendly as you would like when you complement his car, who cares, i say that with a haahaa, smile,

Im not making excuses for acting like a T.A.C.O

All people are just human and sometimes people are tired, sick, crap things going on in their lives, good manners go out the window,
Excuse no, not really, but to me legit reasons

Not every person who isnt all happy happy joy joy about their car is some elistist rude cheesedick, many are, but some might just have a good reason for being ahem, grumpy....some might love the car hobby but they dont like people, who knows, who cares.

Too many people are all "hey look at me, look at my build as i toss $$$ at it" lacking all modesty so why placate that bubbas bloated ego,
I seldom complement if i do i mean it,

I wouldn't let it bother me

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-23-2018 at 07:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by The13Bats:
Metalhead140 (07-03-2018), mobird (06-25-2018), Paul Borowski (06-24-2018), Z06LMB (07-04-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

My experience is that there are basically two kinds of vintage Corvette owners: 1) the ones who love the car design, love doing the work to bring them back to life, and enjoy driving them anywhere so that others can enjoy them; 2) the ones who have the money to buy the car they want to show off and brag about. The latter group rarely does any mechanical work or even detailing on their cars...they hire it done. Folks in group #1 will talk to anyone about their car or about cars in general; they want to share what they have learned 'the hard way'. Group #2 owners just want to drive the car by you in hopes that you will drool and they can put their nose in the air and ignore you.

Don't know if others have similar views or not. I'll look at anyone's car and try to start a conversation. Group 2 folks don't seem to converse much.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-23-2018 at 07:25 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by 7T1vette:
20mercury (06-23-2018), 79L824SPD (06-25-2018), BBCorv70 (06-24-2018), brent319 (07-01-2018), jbh06751 (06-29-2018), Metalhead140 (07-03-2018), Paul Borowski (06-24-2018), wabco40 (06-25-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Even as a type 1 owner/driver (above) there are times when I've done my duty having the conversations with the "I had one just like that when I was in high-school except it was a 390" or the "$50 dollar bill on the dash" or the "My uncle...." or even the " got one at home I'm restoring..." and I'm pretty short with them. Certainly seems that it can be different when they are with the actual car their talking about.

Then again, Corvette owners can be dicks, even to other vette owners. Seen that more than once, probably done it more than once myself without noticing.

Maybe buddy needed something from the store and it's the third one he's been to that day without any luck
Maybe he's just an ***

M
Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Or maybe he thinks a C3 is little better than an Accord...
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Odd, reading the above posts, I get waves, inquiries, and fun conversations almost every time I take my '72 outta the garage.....course the green metallic can be seen from backside of the MOON, so it does get noticed a tad.....but being a total custom job, they always ask What YEAR is that, I grin and say it was born in '72 but has CORVETTE parts from '65-94 on it......but that don't include aftermarket parts.....

My favorite phrase, NOTHING stock, wheels through roof, stem to stern, NOTHING......

Old 06-23-2018, 09:37 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

We can all take a shot at analyzing this type of behavior but the bottom line IMCO is this is the type of response that turns people off to all Corvette owners.
The word stereotype comes to mind.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

He just could have been having a bad day.
JerriVette (06-25-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:50 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I go to those "cars and coffee" hangouts every once in a while, and there's usually about 25 cars there. Most of the guys and gals there are nice and friendly, and don't put anyone down for what they drive, but there's always a few who are just jerks. They're usually the ones with more money and ego, than skill or knowledge, and I just smile and walk by. They may be jerks, but we do have more in common than the guy that got up at 7:00 am to play golf.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:56 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
Even as a type 1 owner/driver (above) there are times when I've done my duty having the conversations with the "I had one just like that when I was in high-school except it was a 390" or the "$50 dollar bill on the dash" or the "My uncle...." or even the " got one at home I'm restoring..." and I'm pretty short with them. Certainly seems that it can be different when they are with the actual car their talking about.

Then again, Corvette owners can be dicks, even to other vette owners. Seen that more than once, probably done it more than once myself without noticing.

Maybe buddy needed something from the store and it's the third one he's been to that day without any luck
Maybe he's just an ***

M
Heard all the blue ones in varied forms,

That red line gets all kind of negative responses whenever i mention it,
Guess i dont fit their mold of a vette owner

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
I go to those "cars and coffee" hangouts every once in a while, and there's usually about 25 cars there. Most of the guys and gals there are nice and friendly, and don't put anyone down for what they drive, but there's always a few who are just jerks. They're usually the ones with more money and ego, than skill or knowledge, and I just smile and walk by. They may be jerks, but we do have more in common than the guy that got up at 7:00 am to play golf.
Few of those right here on the forum, that mountain sized ego , fragile as glass...

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-24-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Sunracer (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 AM
72downunder
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I talk to anyone who is interested in our 72, and many are, never met anyone with a vintage car who doesn't want to talk shop. I guess people are people, some more personable than others. My way of looking at it is even though I own it, because of its history you feel more like a custodian / celebrity rather than just the owner, because I guess in one way your driving around in a museum piece; they just don't make cars like that anymore.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:12 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Vette

We have a few regular shows here in NSB. Once in awhile I go to check them out. The last time I went there were 2 C'3s that were for sale. People in their folding chairs sitting behind or next to their car. You get the picture. So you approach check the car out a little, make some nice comments and in return get ignored, or grunts. Now I don;t think that;s the best approach especially if your selling. C'mon man, rehearse your sales pitch and go for it if your serious.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

They could be "selling"; but more than likely they are just "fishing" for that sucker who will take them up on their over-priced ego-trip.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by blk79nj
He just could have been having a bad day.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I bet he was tired of all the attention. Those random wannabe fan conversations are usually fun but they can be tedious at times.

I was at a car show a few years ago and saw a pair of '69 Chevys that were owned by these 2 average looking guys. Obviously they were friends and they both knew how to tune the old iron for performance way better than the average car owners at the show. Hand degreed stock balancers, re-curved factory distributors with stock coils, probably a long arm in there but I could not tell from looking. Based on what I could see, they were pretty sharp at this. No blister pack bling and all business. Reminded me of "circle track" speed if you know what I mean. Cars were sleepers otherwise. Turns out they were both cops but not that it matters. I complimented them on their cars and obvious hardcore skills that others might not recognize. I got nothing back in return. Some people are just like that.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

The ONLY person that I am a "*****" to is my wife
and she is fine with that!

Get notified of new replies

To When do we become pricks to people who compliment out cars?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Then again, Corvette owners can be dicks, even to other vette owners.
...and get upset because another owner didnt wave at them.

Strange crowd huh lol.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

I agree, 100%.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:07 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

We went to the local chapter AACA show yesterday and I was surprised that there was a guy there with a Model T truck with a sign that said "go ahead and touch it, you can't hurt it". My wife and kids climbed on up and he gave them a full lesson on how to drive it and gave them all the attention they asked for, and answered every question. I try to make a point especially with little kids, to let them sit in my car and have someone take pics if they want. I'm not ashamed to admit, I love the attention. I don't think I've ever been a dick to someone, but I might have. I do get tired of ones who want to correct you about everything on your car.
bobbarry (06-26-2018)

Quick Reply: When do we become pricks to people who compliment out cars?