C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiirst Vette, '69 BB in Riverside Gold HAVE QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:53 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Love it, very pretty. Congrats. I love the 68-69s.

Louvers won’t hurt you one bit. I would definitely add the stock PS system.

Lets see some int/eng pics!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the interior.

I have plain black mats arriving tomorrow. The bright yellow Stingray screams "Incorrect" LOL

I also have to origional AM/FM radio. Sller said to the best of his memory it turned on and lit up,.. but didn't tune any stations. Hence the aftermarket Corvette radio. Probably an old Eklers unit.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Engine comp pics. (Chrome makes it tougher to get good ones)

Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

How are the headrests? Gonna go nuts and find a smog setup?

If you are into originality, that’s a couple details that are noticeable in ‘69.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Headrests are beautiful.

Hmmm, smog.

I'd be up for that.

Where would I get all the correct parts?

(P.S. not going for NCRS or anything,.. just a really nice driver that drives like it would have back in the day.)

Last edited by Duckstu; 07-12-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I found this pic on the internet a while back. Though you might like it.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by Duckstu
Headrests are beautiful.

Hmmm, smog.

I'd be up for that.

Where would I get all the correct parts?

(P.S. not going for NCRS or anything,.. just a really nice driver that drives like it would have back in the day.)
There’s some sellers that will sell full smog setups, or you can collect them a piece at a time. That’s what I did. I didn’t plan on NCRS judging, I just wanted a correct look. The smog system is disabled, it’s just for looks.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

There’s some sellers that will sell full smog setups, or you can collect them a piece at a time. That’s what I did. I didn’t plan on NCRS judging, I just wanted a correct look. The smog system is disabled, it’s just for looks.

Sharp engine bay ! (Reminds me that I badly need a brake fluid reservoir cap)

Smog system not hooked up sounds like what's I'd want to do. Where did it plumb into anyway? Manifolds? My manifolds look brand new. I think the engine may have been re-gasketed at some point, manifolds off etc. Not a speck of dirt or rust.

By sellers,.. do you mean individuals on ebay or in the classifieds? Or vendors?

I didn't see any setups for 69 in classifieds,.. and just pieces or rusted junk on Ebay
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Congrats on the 69!

If you like the louvers go for it, will not really impact value Same with the stock power steering, in fact it may increase value/ attractiveness for some buyers.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:56 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Sharp engine bay ! (Reminds me that I badly need a brake fluid reservoir cap)

Smog system not hooked up sounds like what's I'd want to do. Where did it plumb into anyway? Manifolds? My manifolds look brand new. I think the engine may have been re-gasketed at some point, manifolds off etc. Not a speck of dirt or rust.

By sellers,.. do you mean individuals on ebay or in the classifieds? Or vendors?

I didn't see any setups for 69 in classifieds,.. and just pieces or rusted junk on Ebay
I think the guy who sells the full NCRS systems’ name is Bill Hodel. That about as far as I can go without stepping on Non Supporting Vendor rules. There’s other commercial and private people who sell smog parts. You can also find them complete or piecemeal at many swaps.

Heres a smog unit listing that was in the Forum archives... it shows a lot of informational pictures. I have no idea if it sold.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...olds-nice.html

You need to know the difference for your car though. Many 69 -72 pumps look the same as a ‘69 while installed, as the date code is not visible. But the plastic fan is white rather than black for ‘69.

I bought my setup a piece at a time because the car was disassembled at the time anyway. Buying complete could be easier, might be more expensive.

Yes, they plumb into the manifolds.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Thanks.

But I don't think I'm THAT stuck on originality that I'm gonna spend $1,200+ to ADD smog.

If I do,.. it won't be for a fully restored setup,.. rather, I'd go for a less expensive one that's slightly tired looking, so as to match the rest of whats my under-hood. Otherwise there's no stopping point. You end up having to restore evrything under there to the nines,.. or it looks weird.

I need to find a nice (but not mint) brake master cylinder cover.

I have no interest at all in NCRS whatever,.. or even leaving the hood open at car shows. What I want out of the car is for the experience of what it was like driving a slightly used car in the early 70's. This body and chassis haven't been separated on this car,.. and all the mechanical s are original,... so it's like having a time machine. You can experience just what it was like back in the day. Don't get me wrong,.. I like resto-mods als,... but then you're essentially driving a new Mustang Gt that just LOOKS like a 67 Camaro or a 70 Cuda or whatever. And for me,. the looks, the sloppy shifter,.. the spongy brakes, the sloppy and heavy steering,. the cool vintage interiors, the weird options, etc all go together to make an experience totally different from what I drive day to day.

I think I'll call her "OLD GOLD"

Drove the car to work today. 30 min of highway. It keeps picking up power. Left the breakfast place and stepped on it and it lay'd rubber for 30' until I lifted off the gas. Never did that before.

Last edited by Duckstu; 07-13-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:33 PM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey everyone.

Never thought I'd actually buy a Corvette. I have a tall torso, and don't really fit in them well. (Certainly not a C5 or C6 with a helmet on unfortunately).

BUT,.. I saw a 69 in Riverside Gold with the P02 hubcaps and the chrome fender louvers,.... and well,... screw it. I'm buying one LOL

So last night I bought one in Riverside gold with a rat.

L36 427
Auto trans
Posi-Traction rear axle
Leather seats
Power windows
Tilt / telescope steering column
Power Brakes
Soft-Ray tinted glass
U69 AM/FM radio

But;
NO A/C
NO Power Steering

Car had 51,000 miles on it when it was lightly restored (frame on) in 2006. Has 230 miles on it since then.

Anyway,.. ordered chrome fender louver trim for it from ZIP Corvette today,.. and also a set of Goodyear Speedway raised white letter nylon tires,for the look (even through the tank sticker seems to indicate 02PT7AA,. which would be white stripe)
https://www.zip-corvette.com/68-72-g...te-letter.html

QUESTIONS

1. Would it hurt the value if I add the chrome louvers? I'm guessing not,.. as it's not some highly valuable 4-speed, tri-power, A/C car,.. and being that it has a clear-coat paint job,.. it's not like it's going to win a Bloomington Gold award anyway. And if someone DID want to take it to that point,.. they'd have to strip and re-paint it anyway,.. and they could just fill in the holes then.

2. Would adding power steering affect it? My guess is it wouldn't hurt it's value,... but wouldn't help as much as it cost. Easy to add and remove. No cutting.

3. What floor mats would this have come with (leather seat car)? It currently has replacement black carpet and what looks in the pics like loop floor mats with Stingray embroidered into them. Would they have been rubber mats? Or plain black loop carpet mats?

I'll get to see it for the first time in a week. It's a couple states away. Bought it on Ebay.

Not looking to have a show car,.. just a nice looking car to putter to work in on occasion,. and the wife could drive it too. P/S would help that last bit.

Very nice and a great color.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Here is my 69 L36 with complete smog system hooked up. The biggest cost to buy or replace the system is the diverter valve bolted to the back of the smog pump. You just can't find them anymore for a reasonable price and the valve alone can go for upwards of five or six hundred bucks.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 07-13-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Got the new tires put on. Nice big, smooth balloon sidewalls.

Looks sooooo much better. (IMO)

Last edited by Duckstu; 07-14-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:29 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

The following users liked this post:
Duckstu (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

when i painted mine I spent a bunch of time, detailing the louvers
and do not want to cover the nicely detailed fins,
I also black out the inner rear fin, which is normally visible body color.

Last edited by 69Vett; 07-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Got the new tires put on. Nice big, smooth balloon sidewalls.

Looks sooooo much better. (IMO)

Congrats on the purchase! Beautiful car. And I agree--the tires look awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiirst Vette, '69 BB in Riverside Gold HAVE QUESTIONS

Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Duckstu; 08-25-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Alas,.. it comes time to sell it.

I really just don't fit in it (tall toreso).

Just turned 52,000 miles.
Put on new Goodyear Speedway tires.
Just did the brakes (found that they had already been sleeved) Did new front wheel bearings and seals while I was there.
New mats
Put Quartz guts in the clock
re-curved the distributor and was happy to see it already had what I believe is a Pertronix Ignitor 2 in place of the points.
Runs cool. Doesn;t even make it tothe middle line on the temp gauge in the city. Just past that on the freeway at 80.
Dropped the trans pan. Everything clean in there. New fluid and filter.
Engine oil change
New headlight adjusters and low beam bulbs. All new relays and selenoids in wiper and headlight systems. New check valve. Cleaned selenoid behind tach.
New Rockford Fosgate 4x6 speakers. (25% more cone area than any other brand,.. so it plays at least some mid-bass.)

Just posted it into classifieds.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597823647
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Duckstu
Intermediate

Old Gold is sold.

What a cool car though.

I went to a few car shows (one a Vette show with 200-300 vettes),.. and it really stood out from the crowd.

Cooler than any car newer than it,.. and the only one in that color, or with P02's, or on period tires (other than 1-2 cars from the 50's).

In the top 4-5 coolest cars there,.. and a fraction of the price of the '67 435 hp Convertibles, or the deep 6-figure '60 / 61 injected, NCRS restored type stuff.

Lotta bang for the buck. Shame to see it go,.. but alas,.. I really just don't fit in it,.. and with no power steering,.. by 5'1" 110 lb wife won't be able to drive it.

This forum has been AMAZING ! Thanks everyone for all the help. Great community. Perhaps one day I can afford a blue '67 435 hp vert and I can play here again.

Signing off,... Stuart.

Quick Reply: Fiirst Vette, '69 BB in Riverside Gold HAVE QUESTIONS