Barn finds. what do I have here

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM
ian325is
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn finds. what do I have here

Hi everyone!

New to the forum, because I stumbled across some stuff, and I need some help. I do a lot of property management, and I walked through a warehouse where someone was storing cars here. As a car enthusiast I immediately started checking them out, but since I haven't done a lot of work with corvettes I thought I would come to the pros and let me know what my options are.

The red car appears to be an 81 based on a the (79L) paint and (12C)trim codes I found. I didn't get a chance to get a vin number. The black one I believe is somewhere around a 70 based on the rear window, but I haven't been able to confirm.

My question is.... can these 2 cars be put together? Red one has the engine and driveline, but someone hacked the roof, and rear end off it. Can the black rear end be molded onto the red one or vice versa?

Theres no interior in either one, but I think I have all the body pieces, and driveline if what im thinking is possible. Im not sure how interchangeable parts are on these, so any help would be appreciated.

This will certainly be a big project, but Ive always liked this body style, so even if its not worth anything when im done it could be fun to drive, and at least it would have a story.

Thanks in advance
Ian

Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Yikes! I hate for your introduction to Corvettes to be a negative one but the short answer is no. The task would be biblical and the two years are not particularly compatible.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Old 07-03-2018, 03:17 PM
1996Z15
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the black one is a 1968 by looking at the door push button and the lack of flares on the rear fenders. The red one is scrap unless the frame is good and someone needs a frame. The black one probably could be salvaged, depending upon what you have for it but, that would be a HUGE project.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Hi Ian,
First post!! Welcome to the forum. The two cars you found are not compatible. Someone probably found out the hard way and abandoned the build. Unfortunate. The early car is certainly interesting, but needs so much I am afraid its a lost cause. parts cars at best.

Ray
Old 07-03-2018, 03:27 PM
ian325is
8th Gear

Thanks guys!

This is what I assumed. I will likely try to pull them out of there, and dismantle them some weekend, so stuff might be for sale soon.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:37 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by ian325is
Thanks guys!

This is what I assumed. I will likely try to pull them out of there, and dismantle them some weekend, so stuff might be for sale soon.
If it is a 68 (nice catch Z15) there will be interest in any parts including the body.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just curious, but isn't that a law enforcement officer in the background of the first pic? Are these two cars stolen?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 PM
ian325is
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Just curious, but isn't that a law enforcement officer in the background of the first pic? Are these two cars stolen?
lol no theyre not stolen.

We let the police use our vacant buildings for training, and I was walking them through to show them the space.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

The '68 should be easily sale-able in its current condition as a complete rear clip, without too much problem. Provided it's not rusty.
Put it on eBay and it will sell. The later body is scrap.
Does the black one still have it's trim tag and/or VIN tag attached?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:38 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

only the left side shows. is the right side of the black body in similar shape as the left? is the whole nose ok? if so, once removed from the body, that nose and hood are somewhere in the 200-600 range for nose and 1-200 for the hood. then if you feel adventurous cut the 8 body bolts and toss that body in a dumpster. now you can see the frame and drivetrain and a guesstimat if any value, or 5 cents a pound... large parts, what state?

Last edited by derekderek; 07-03-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Welcome and good luck!

(lurking here, curious about the future outcome)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Nice Find

I love it when someone discovers cars like you have done. The intrigue and mystery of what they are, where they came from, and what to do with them can all be fascinating for readers here on the CF. Please do continue to post and because you mention sales soon, read the stickies on selling here on the forum so you can be familiar with what you can, and cannot do with those cars here. Also, please consider filing out your profile so we have a clue where you are located. Guys near you would gladly help you assess those cars and give you some good advice on them as well. Lots of knowledge here on the forum. Best of success to you and please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Best regards,
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 07-03-2018, 06:39 PM
ian325is
8th Gear

The other side of the black one is in similar condition to the one pictured. No nose though.

The red car (minus the butchered roof and interior) is complete. Doors, motor, driveline, etc.

So........... I have fairly extensive background in bodywork and fabricating. My adhd/ocd has been in full swing since my original post and if possible, can anyone give me specifics as to why I couldn't mount the black rear clip onto the red frame. Are the frames different in length/width. Would the wheelbase be the same? I am able to move body mounts as needed. Any specifics of fenders to A pillar heights and rockers?

in theory there's only a few penetrations into the actual cab right? Steering column, shift lever, throttle cable, wiring harness.... Sure I'm missing something, but they should be able to be corrected with a few "adjustments"

in other words. Could I spend a weekend doing some grafting and make this thing look decent. I'm not looking for a concours car, but I think with a decent paint job the 2 body styles would mesh well given the heights and widths are similar.

this sounds like a fun adventure so talk me out of it by telling me my fenders will stick out 3" from my doors or something along those lines because I won't create an atrocity like that. I just want a t-top to drive around on nice days with the wife.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

There's quite a lot of differences in the rear part of the frame between the black and red car. You could modify all the rear bumper brackets to make it work, its not an insignificant amount of work but having done most of it on my own 79 its probably not going to be that big a deal for someone like you with an extensive background in bodywork and fabricating. Ultimately you end up with an 80-82 front end, 68-73 rear end, it would be one of a kind and personally I wonder how well the two different styles would appear together. You'd have the 78-82 interior (which in my opinion is much nicer looking than the older C3 interior) and the entire combination I think would likely be worth a lot less than you'd put into making this all one car but on the other hand, almost every restoration results in a car that's worth a lot less than you put into it. If you're looking to keep it for yourself and you like all this stuff together maybe its worth doing. If you're hoping to sell it when done, don't waste your time and money, just sell what you've got as is.

Here is where I started to modify my 68-73 rear bumper brackets to fit on the 79 frame to give you some idea of what's involved:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594867310

Last edited by Priya; 07-03-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:48 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ian325is
The other side of the black one is in similar condition to the one pictured. No nose though.

The red car (minus the butchered roof and interior) is complete. Doors, motor, driveline, etc.

So........... I have fairly extensive background in bodywork and fabricating. My adhd/ocd has been in full swing since my original post and if possible, can anyone give me specifics as to why I couldn't mount the black rear clip onto the red frame. Are the frames different in length/width. Would the wheelbase be the same? I am able to move body mounts as needed. Any specifics of fenders to A pillar heights and rockers?

in theory there's only a few penetrations into the actual cab right? Steering column, shift lever, throttle cable, wiring harness.... Sure I'm missing something, but they should be able to be corrected with a few "adjustments"

in other words. Could I spend a weekend doing some grafting and make this thing look decent. I'm not looking for a concours car, but I think with a decent paint job the 2 body styles would mesh well given the heights and widths are similar.

this sounds like a fun adventure so talk me out of it by telling me my fenders will stick out 3" from my doors or something along those lines because I won't create an atrocity like that. I just want a t-top to drive around on nice days with the wife.
I restore C-3 frames for a hobby in retirement now. The 1968-1972 frame is in all practical purposes the same frame. The 73 had a front rubber bumper, rear chrome bumper, but it hung on a 72 frame with some hole differences up in the nose. The 74-77 frames are similar, mounting points are the same, but front and rear bumpers are different. The sub-bumper frames are vastly different on the 68 and anything 1974 and later. You could set a 68 body on a 81 frame, yes. The mounting of the eight body mounts are close, so you could make that work. Where you will need serious modifications to make this work are the front end, and rear end areas of the body to mount up to the frames. Specifically, the rear of the 81 frame won't match the rear of the 68 body at all. Different lengths, different widths, and much more. Can it be done, sure, with modifications. Will you find it affordable, not likely. Look up a 68 Corvette Frame, then look up an 81 Corvette frame, and you will see some of the differences. Have people done it, yes.
Good luck with your decisions.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 PM
derekderek
Race Director

I believe the 68 body will sit right on the same mounts. Then you will have a body, frame of unknown-so far-condition, a nose that doesn't match the body, and a motor-trans of completely unknown condition. No rear, trim, lights, interior, bumpers, TITLE! ... Sell. The. Parts...

Get notified of new replies

To Barn finds. what do I have here

Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

looks like a chop-shop
Old 07-03-2018, 07:17 PM
ian325is
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
looks like a chop-shop
mark me down as the dumbest chop shop owner than...

www.Skidmarkracing.Net

We build some serious vintage BMW's and thought I'd try my hand at piecing some vettes together that are collectively viewed as trash or worth nothing. A modified unpure corvette is better than sending them to the scrap yard which is where the owners of the building want them.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 PM
derekderek
Race Director

If you go get a bomb vette with decent interior for all the little missing stuff, this is possible. But, since it is a chrome bumper rear body, you should scare up a 68-72 nose. Then you need 68-72 bumpers too. There is just so much missing. Including the title.

Last edited by derekderek; 07-03-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Barn finds. what do I have here