Chassis Build - Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:51 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Chassis Build - Opinions Needed

Due to circumstances within my control I have wound up in an interesting spot where I have options and thought I would ask your opinion. Now many of you probably just don't care about this topic and I understand and respect your right to ignore this thread. If you do have a constructive opinion then please do share, I'd like to know what you think please.

I was planning to build a complete rolling chassis using the 1976 frame to use with my 1977 project car. That project has been sold off now so I have everything I need to build the chassis, which is what I love to build, but nothing to put on it when completed.

If it were you would you 1) build the rolling chassis and try to sell it when completed to someone that needs it, or 2) sell off the project to someone that needs it and wants to put it together as a whole project; or 3) sell off the parts and pieces and frame and call it a day; or 4) build the chassis using one of the other two frames that I have now, e.g. at 1969 or a 1970? My frame choices are as follows:

A) 1969 manual frame which has been modified to include my removable cross member. It has new body mounts, new gussets, new cross member protection plate, has been media blasted, powder coated and lined.
B) 1970 automatic frame which has new body mounts, new gussets, new cross member protection plate, and has been media blasted, powder coated and lined.
C) 1976 manual frame which has been modified to include my removable cross member. It has new body mounts, new gussets, new cross member protection plate, has been media blasted, powder coated and lined.

And building a chassis leaves the following options:

1-A would be a rolling 1969 (1968-1972) chassis with K-H Rally wheels. 1-B would be selling it off as a full project.
2-A would be a rolling 1970 (1968-1972) chassis with K-H Rally wheels. 2-B would be selling it off as a full project.
3-A would be a rolling 1976 (1975-1979) chassis with K-H Alloy wheels. 3-B would be selling it off as a full project.
Option 1, 2, or 3-C would be selling everything off and not build anything. eBay would love this option, not sure it is the most attractive to me, but what do you think?

I am asking because I am just not certain which way to go and your constructive thoughts would help.

Please share your thoughts here if you have any that can assist me in moving forward.

Thank you for your consideration and best regards to you all.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me

Old 07-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

David...I would think thee was a bigger market for the 69 and/or the 70 so if you are going to build and then try to resale it.....That is the way I would go.

Brian
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Bandit54
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

David, with your knowledge and skills I would suggest you finish the frames to rolling chassis ready for a body of choice by a prospective buyer. there is very many forum members that do not have the skills to complete a rolling chassis.
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

AllVettesForMe? Not ACoupleOfVettesForMe, or even MostVettesForMe?As soon as you sell a good frame a car needing it will fall in your lap. Works every time, like Colt 45... just checked. That 73 body is still next to my neighbor's garage, speaking of which.

Last edited by derekderek; 07-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

David,
Your question boils down to 'what is the quickest, easiest and least costly way to get rid of a bunch of stuff'.

I believe that you need to consider your market. People who are in the market for a C3 frame are hardcore. They are generally going to be mechanically experienced or they would not be contemplating such major disassembly of their C3, and these people are like you - they have very distinct ideas of what they want as an outcome from their project. This means that if you build a frame/chassis and try to sell it, it will not meet their expectations in some regard and they will either continue looking OR will discount their offer to compensate for the work/time/cost of modifying your frame/chassis into something that will meet their goals.

Additionally, because most purchasers are going to be do-it-yourselfers, they will heavily discount the time and effort you may put into building the assembly you are offering for sale. It is their hobby and they do not value their own time (indeed, many are in the hobby because they enjoy the time and effort of assembling their own car), and they will place little if any value on your assembly efforts.

My advice would be to sell what you have as parts. I believe that there is a broader market for individual components, and you will dispose of your stock more quickly. If you assemble them, then go looking in the market for a buyer, it will take more time (exclusive of the assembly time) to find a buyer (because this market less broad than the market foe individual components), AND the buyer will be less likely to pay the cost of the sum of the components in your assembly (because the buyer also realizes that there is less of a market - fewer potential buyers - for the more specialized assembly and will discount his offer accordingly).

Good luck, hope this helps and that you're recovering from your injury.
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

X2 on selling the stuff as is. You'll most likely end up working on it for free or worse a $ loss to get rid of it.
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you need to ask yourself some questions before you decide-

-do you need the money for all that you have accumulated
-do you have the space to store it all for a longer term
-do you want it out asap or can you be patient in selling it
-do you have the time and patience to sell of all the components individually?

Since you enjoy putting the chassis together, then maybe you should do that for the fun of it, and then when it comes time to sell the built chassis you won't feel bad about doing the labor "for free"
If you do build the chassis, there is a good chance you will find a body you like for it eventually, if you can wait it out.

I think you need to decide where you want to be at the end of all this, then that will tell you which direction to go with everything.
And take your time, if you can. You don't want to do something you may regret down the road.
Hope this helps a little
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:44 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

All good points given thus far, thank you.
End point is my 2017 Stingray and my 1972 Road Race replica, period.
Also for clarity, this is not a speed race, but rather a request to gain opinions on either building one more chassis or calling it good and selling it all off.
I never charge for putting a chassis together though, labor is always free, so that has not been a consideration as well.
It is not likely that I will build all three of these frames into finished chassis now, just too much work involved in that and my winter project is sitting on my lift now already so I don't need more projects.
Keep the thoughts coming though, I am considering them and will figure out where to head next with this.
Thank you.
David

Last edited by AllC34Me; 07-10-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i built my 37 hot rod up to the point of the interior......then sold it.....i like the build process, but no so much the interior work so i just did what i had fun doing and then sold it.

sounds like i would sell the 76 stuff immediately.....and concentrate on the 69 and 70. put them both up for sale without paying any advertising fees....and while they are both advertised built the 69 first as 1a, .....if the 70 doesnt sell then when finished with 69 1a put it up for sale in a real way with advertising fees and move to building the 70 1a....and repeat.

it cuts your inventory by 1/3 and is plan to move it all out at some point
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:40 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

At this point in my own life, if I were you, I would sell everything off and spend the time driving your Corvettes, unless you get more enjoyment out of building a chassis than driving your Vettes.

Mike
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:18 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

It sounds like you would enjoy building this chassis, then selling it when it is a complete roller.
You might even consider offering to complete the chassis pursuant to the buyers specifications and modifications.
Who knows, you may find another project while you are working on this chassis and end up using it yourself.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 07-10-2018 at 04:07 PM.
AllC34Me (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:27 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks to you all that participated, I do appreciate it.
I have decided, based on your input and thoughts, to sell off my parts and forget about building the chassis any further.
I have had my fun building the rolling chassis but I really just don't have another build in me so I will sell the parts off and move on to other hobbies.
Decision Taken.
Thank you again.
David
Old 07-10-2018, 04:24 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

excellent choice good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Chassis Build - Opinions Needed

Quick Reply: Chassis Build - Opinions Needed