Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Hood flat black mid section???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I did it myself. It was a PITA...but also a "labor of LOVE" . The hard part is getting it to lay smooth with all the curves on that raised section of the hood.

But, with some patience...and an occasional break...I got the job done. I do agree that it would be much easier to take it to an auto graphics shop and let them 'do their magic'. They know how to use that heat gun to get the vinyl to fit right.

If you do it yourself, you can buy ready-made stripes (all types in varying widths) thru on-line graphics outlets. I'll also repeat that it is important to put some kind of protectant on vinyl graphics which will block UV light. That's what makes vinyl get hard and brittle, crack, and peel. 6+ years and no such problems for me; Nu-Vinyl is the real deal!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 PM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy73
I was going to try the plastic coat on my hood but decided to experiment with it first. Used the riding mower as a test bed. Taped it off and sprayed and was happy with the finish until I pulled the tape up and the edges were not clean. I used the high end tape and was very disappointed with end result. Tried a couple of other samples, with different tape products, with the same results. Going with a vinyl wrap.

How to Spray Racing Stripes with Plasti Dip

Old 07-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Not a Vette, but my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk came with a matte black vinyl sticker on the hood. On any other color of vehicle, this looks pretty cool. White and Yellow Renegade Trailhawks are especially striking, with all of the plastic trim pieces to match the sticker on the hood (and red tow hooks). On mine (all black), it looked stupid, so I peeled it off. Fortunately, whatever Jeep had done to apply it did not leave any residue.

The sizes aren't perfect, but you can buy the Renegade decal at Amazon for $25-. Or perhaps start with a complete hood wrap, as shown here, to see if you really like the look:

Quick Reply: 1980 Hood flat black mid section???