why are C3's so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:50 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
First off, I love Camaro’s. I own a gen 5, and have owned 2 gen 2’s. Im a blue collar worker and feel comfortable owning what I think of as a working mans car. I always think of a corvette right or wrong, as a retirement car, or a car for the up and comers, or a more affluent persons whim.
I own a C3 because that is the car I lusted for back in the 70’s. I have way too much money in it to ever get back out. I Built it the way I envisioned it should be. I sporadically look for a 67-69 Camaro. I like them. Someday I may get serious about buying a real Z/28. I know of a few, $40k will buy them. How much for that LT-1?
x2
People buy Camaros cause they want one. Not a vette or they'd have it.
Many times I passed over buying vettes because
1)Cant fit, they make them for midgets, to this day
2)The crowd snobbery...vettes, from the time I was a kid was the "old mans" car, never saw one going over 35.

Ironic thing was bought a few vettes as they were so much cheaper than Camaros, go figure. x2 on the vette tax (parts)being a major turn off

Got rid of both vettes to finish up an old A body. Enjoy it so much more, anything can be fixed on teh fly for cheap. Summit, or any auto pts store has what I need.
Sometimes miss them but not enough to buy another yet. Did I mention there is NO room? wtf

Todays youth, even older crowd want cars that drive them not the other way around.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

As soon as my ‘69 gets its rebuilt smog pump reinstalled, it’s going up for sale. I hope I can get some decent money. It’s a Daytona Yellow 427/390, 4 speed with tilt and factory AC. I don’t see their prices continuing to climb. I’m done with spending money on a car I can’t drive and enjoy. I’m going to get a modern car that has better performance, better AC and I can drive it across country if I feel like it.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I for one was grateful our vette was affordable. I didn't buy it for an investment, I bought it for my wife, because SHE always wanted one. After working on it which I enjoyed for 3 years, she loves her jeep and newly purchase 2016 Charger R/T. So I'm "stuck" with the vette. But I still love it. I drive a newer vehicle every day. My wife has the Newer muscle car with the Charger R/T. and they are all amazing vehicles as long as the electronics work. But when I pump the pedal, turn the key and hear the roar of the 350 and the rumble that doesn't require " resonators" it goes straight to my soul. This car only requires 3 things, 1) air 2) fuel 3) spark . The smartest thing in it is the clock and that is the only gauge I didn't want to fix. I never understood why the value was low, maybe because of the vast numbers. Especially with ours being a 79 but hey more parts for me My son has a Camaro, and just like the vettes depends on the year. He has a 97 Rally Sport. worth about as much as a new washer. Real nice car, arrest me red and everything. I tell him to just drive it, enjoy it and have fun.

Last edited by Tooonz; 07-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by maj75
As soon as my ‘69 gets its rebuilt smog pump reinstalled, it’s going up for sale. I hope I can get some decent money. It’s a Daytona Yellow 427/390, 4 speed with tilt and factory AC. I don’t see their prices continuing to climb. I’m done with spending money on a car I can’t drive and enjoy. I’m going to get a modern car that has better performance, better AC and I can drive it across country if I feel like it.
Bad-mouthing C3s and expressing your wish to get rid of yours...coupled with hoping to get "decent" money for it...are incompatible desires. Can we assume you are no longer a Corvette enthusiast...or did you just figure out that 50 year old cars are not for you?
The following 3 users liked this post by Faster Rat:
amandico82 (02-13-2021), blue67ragtop (07-27-2018), mrvette (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 01:43 AM
Govette1975
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cost was the reason for my camaro

Originally Posted by tomboyy
I was looking on Craigs list at older cars. I had a '70 Mustang and Camaro. I noticed if you compare prices and both cars were in the same shape... the other cars went for way more than the Corvette. I honestly thought the Corvette would be priced more.
My brother owned 1970 LT1 vette I bought a split bumper 1970 Z28 Camaro his was 370hp mine 360hp at that time of my life the vettes were a couple grand more than I had. Both were fun to drive. Condition has alot to do with resale values. But I will say I get alot of thumbs ups from the young kids when they see it going down the road in my Vette
Old 07-28-2018, 11:03 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,692 Likes on 2,935 Posts

It sounds like you are unhappy because of your inability to build your C3 into the type of car you could enjoy and you built a car that others dictated you to build.
If you weren't so worried about keeping your car "correct and originally restored", and so worried about peer pressure, maybe you could have modified your C3 into something that has better performance, handling, technology, thats dependable and fun to drive across country.
Don't blame the car for your inability to have vision and creativity.
Please, do sell your '69 to someone who will drive and enjoy it.
You should buy a new BMW, or what ever your peers think you should own; let them pick the color and options so you fit in and make them look good.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 07-28-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
amandico82 (02-13-2021)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Why couldnt the 69 be drven cross country?
Lots of us had these as one and only DD back then. Never owned a car newer than 1970 til the late 90s.
amandico82 (02-13-2021)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I'm not going to bash you for being honest. However many of us on the forum may feel (I bought vinyl C3s specifically so I could update/mod them), the market is the market. And the market for the NCRS chrome bumper cars, even uncommon and desirable cars such as yours, sets an upper bound on the price of these cars. Compare what you'd expect to get for your car, vs. the price of a used C7 or a really nice C6. About the same perhaps? A really nice Restomod (modern chassis, LS motor, full-tilt)? The same price as a C7, and if we are being honest about the cost of building one, that is completely fair. Unless you have an L88 with racing history, that's your competition, for the reasons you outlined.

The low prices of the vinyl cars are comparable to other used cars. Even with the much-maligned, smog-choked 75s and later cars, most were loved by their owners, maintained properly, and kept inside garages. Now there are just a lot more decent driver quality C3s than there are Camaros, and people nostalgic for a car of this error are more likely to think Camaro first when looking, as Camaros were more common in the 60s through the 90s.

I hope you find a car that you enjoy driving, whatever it may be, and I hope you find a buyer who can appreciate your C3.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

You certainly struck a nerve with this post.

You won't live long enough to see prices climb on a modern car. In fact, most will lose a third of their value in their first four years, especially if you have the nerve to put miles on them. Good luck to ya.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:32 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
It sounds like you are unhappy because of your inability to build your C3 into the type of car you could enjoy and you built a car that others dictated you to build.
If you weren't so worried about keeping your car "correct and originally restored", and so worried about peer pressure, maybe you could have modified your C3 into something that has better performance, handling, technology, thats dependable and fun to drive across country.
You should buy a new BMW, or what ever your peers think you should own; let them pick the color and options so you fit in and make them look good.
^^^THIS^^^

Nail meet hammer.
OldCarBum (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:49 AM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tomboyy
I was looking on Craigs list at older cars. I had a '70 Mustang and Camaro. I noticed if you compare prices and both cars were in the same shape... the other cars went for way more than the Corvette. I honestly thought the Corvette would be priced more.
14 years of production and about 400,000 cars?
Old 07-28-2018, 01:03 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Well said.
OldCarBum (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

What do vision and creativity have to do with reliability? The OP said he was tired of spending money on it. I have no idea what he did or did not do to it, do you? Did the OP say that other people were putting pressure on him to modify the crap out of a valuable collector car? I have not "built" my car as you self-proclaimed automotive engineers with access to the internet's abundance of mis-matched aftermarket performance improvements. I love these cars EXACTLY the way they were built and have no exaggerated beliefs about my own abilities to "invent" something better. My car is more reliable than most cars on the road and I would take it cross country in a Chevrolet heartbeat...even without A/C.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin

You won't live long enough to see prices climb on a modern car. In fact, most will lose a third of their value in their first four years, especially if you have the nerve to put miles on them. Good luck to ya.

What I've read is that most new cars will lose 50% of their value in the first 4 years and some new cars will lose a third of their value after one year.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Since graduating high school in 1972, I have owned three C2s and five C3s, plus alot of other muscle cars and Hot Rods. Always enjoyed the C3s more than the C2s. So I recently sold my 65 convertible and bought this 1972 Coupe. Looked hard for another C2, but did not see the value, or "curb appeal" when compared to a C3. IMO you can't beat the "curves" on a C3. Very good value for the money when compared to other generations. I think the C3 chrome bumper cars will continue to have value. Just my two cents....

The following 5 users liked this post by EnfieldJoe:
20mercury (07-30-2018), 71 Green 454 (07-29-2018), Jstan2014 (07-29-2018), LT-1 kid (07-29-2018), Yankeededandy (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,692 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
What do vision and creativity have to do with reliability? The OP said he was tired of spending money on it. I have no idea what he did or did not do to it, do you? Did the OP say that other people were putting pressure on him to modify the crap out of a valuable collector car? I have not "built" my car as you self-proclaimed automotive engineers with access to the internet's abundance of mis-matched aftermarket performance improvements. I love these cars EXACTLY the way they were built and have no exaggerated beliefs about my own abilities to "invent" something better. My car is more reliable than most cars on the road and I would take it cross country in a Chevrolet heartbeat...even without A/C.
Exactly my point.
You built, restored, and created your Corvette to be exactly what you want it to be.
You love and stand behind what you built, and use it for the purpose you built it for?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
Since graduating high school in 1972, I have owned three C2s and five C3s, plus alot of other muscle cars and Hot Rods. Always enjoyed the C3s more than the C2s. So I recently sold my 65 convertible and bought this 1972 Coupe. Looked hard for another C2, but did not see the value, or "curb appeal" when compared to a C3. IMO you can't beat the "curves" on a C3. Very good value for the money when compared to other generations. I think the C3 chrome bumper cars will continue to have value. Just my two cents....

Very nice. One day mine will be shiny like that.
EnfieldJoe (07-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To why are C3's so cheap

Old 07-29-2018, 03:13 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree!!!

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe

Agree!!! The C3 is the best design of all of them!

Beautiful Corvette!!

Last edited by 20mercury; 07-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.
71 Green 454 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Exactly my point.
You built, restored, and created your Corvette to be exactly what you want it to be.
You love and stand behind what you built, and use it for the purpose you built it for?

I deleted the post because I felt it was not helpful to the OP. Since you replied to it, let me provide clarification. I have spent a lot of time and money making my car into a reliable driver, which I consider to be more desirable than a trailer queen. We had a 63 SWC come into the shop that did not contain a single Corvette part. Not one, not the frame, fiberglass, or anything. Dude paid well into 6 figures. It had a supercharged LS9 with over 700 hp, yet did not have shoulder harnesses or windshield wipers. The builder claimed over 20,000 hours. I am sure the owner paid well into six figures for this engineering masterpiece.

As far as my car goes, I did not build anything. I removed many parts and sent them out for proper rebuilding, because I have neither the knowledge nor tools to do myself. Not all the replacement parts are 100% correct but certainly 100% reliable. My only feeling of accomplishment comes from the fact the car has never been in the shop. The 49 year old paint has nothing to do with reliability. If I or my son ever decide to put a new coat of lipstick on, it will not be going on a pig.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 07-30-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting thread. Corvettes are not for everybody. Its kind of sad to see a long time forum member so unhappy with his C3. If someone is just looking to go fast, you can always buy a riced out Honda! I'd take a C3 any day. Rolex or Timex? They both keep time.

Quick Reply: why are C3's so cheap