Sponsored by:

Help me find the value of this C3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 AM
sethmatrix
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me find the value of this C3

Just got this C3 and I'm hoping to both get more info and find a price point for it. 1979 automatic with 32k miles.

First thing I did was check for matching numbers, which it is not. The engine block has V0919ZZ1 on it. I was told by the previous owner it is a crate engine, but he doesn't know any specifications on it. How can I identify it?

A little bit about the car- Starts right up, one headlight is stuck up, driven 1k miles in the past 7 years, brakes worked last summer but when previous owner took it out this summer brake light came on, and the brake only works a very very small amount when pushed all the way down. Master cylinder and tires have less than 200 miles. I'm half tempted to flush the brakes, put new fluid in and see what happens.

The rust is a concern of mine. Looks not too bad to me but many of the cars posted here have such a clean underbody.

Pictures and a short video of it idling here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ia...biETKC6roZAv0w

It drove well on the test drive (except for brakes) and the idle calmed down after I let it sit for a bit to warm up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning from this great knowledge base.

Last edited by sethmatrix; 07-12-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

sm,
There's nothing wrong with this car that a little time and money can't fix. It's just a tired '79 in need of some restoration work.
Provided there are no real rust issues with the frame or cage, and if I really wanted that particular car, I'd be on somewhere between $2,500 and $3,500 in it's current condition.
If it has any real structural rust issues, it's not worth anything.
That Dark Blue/Blue Leather can be a real nice combination when it's dialed.
After 40 years the original mileage of 32K won't matter much if the car has been sitting and/or neglected, especially if the original engine is already gone. Expect to do a complete brake job on this car (4 calipers, master cyl., hoses). They all need it when sitting for any length of time. Be sure to check the date code on the tires as well. Tread may look good but if they're 8 or 10 years old they'll need to be replaced. A/C system will probably need a complete overhaul as well. Other cosmetic issues like paint, etc. are obvious.
Still, at the right price, this could be a fun project and a great looking car when finished.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

As far as value goes, it's probably worth what you paid for it. Congrats on the 79.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by sethmatrix
Just got this C3 and I'm hoping to both get more info and find a price point for it. 1979 automatic with 32k miles.

First thing I did was check for matching numbers, which it is not. The engine block has V0919ZZ1 on it. I was told by the previous owner it is a crate engine, but he doesn't know any specifications on it. How can I identify it?

A little bit about the car- Starts right up, one headlight is stuck up, driven 1k miles in the past 7 years, brakes worked last summer but when previous owner took it out this summer brake light came on, and the brake only works a very very small amount when pushed all the way down. Master cylinder and tires have less than 200 miles. I'm half tempted to flush the brakes, put new fluid in and see what happens.

The rust is a concern of mine. Looks not too bad to me but many of the cars posted here have such a clean underbody.

Pictures and a short video of it idling here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ia...biETKC6roZAv0w

It drove well on the test drive (except for brakes) and the idle calmed down after I let it sit for a bit to warm up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to learning from this great knowledge base.
So you already bought it? Then why are you asking about what it's worth? Planning to flip it?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Dont forget, 79 remains the HIGHEST production # ever produced at 53k+. The next closest yr was 1984 (after not selling ANY 1983s) at 51K+
Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Good Luck with your '79 and welcome to the forum, I can't really comment to the value of your car, but here's wishing you well with your project!
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Brakes dont work? No problem. That's what that truck in front of you is for. Start by making sure all 6 bleeders are free, then bleed the brakes and look for leaks. Don't drive it again til it stops GOOD... Oh yeah: Welcome aboard.

Last edited by derekderek; 07-12-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:07 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

You sure about that codd. ZY is a 68 307. Looks like there is no ZZ.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Another what's it worth..? Nice looking car. Did you buy it to sell, or enjoy.? " Life is better with a Corvette" regardless of what its worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me find the value of this C3

Quick Reply: Help me find the value of this C3