C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided hoses, anodized fittings, and what eles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 12:47 AM
GlenJack
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Braided hoses, anodized fittings, and what eles?

I'm having the not original small block 350 on my 72 rebuilt. I don't know a lot about engines, but I know that they can look great with little extras like braided hoses and anodized fittings. What would you recommend I do to pretty up my engine. I mean, I guess I might as well do it now, right?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

2 coats of primer paint and 3 coats of color. Take your time when applying masking tape. If using OEM manifolds, get media blasted, then paint. Use appropriate temperature paints. Clean and paint engine compartment. Get in there with a powered wire wheel to clean exposed frame. Attention to detail really pays off in the knowing that you did a good job. Post up some pictures and you'll get a lot more advice. T
Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Details make a great engine compartment, not just polished stuff.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,286 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Not much chrome, just the fill tube and cover. The brake fluid cover and dip stick, the chrome covers werent used. A clean engine compartment really helps

The AN 6 fittings are Summit and Earls which are close in color, the braided line is Summit teflon lined.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 07-17-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:00 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenJack
I'm having the not original small block 350 on my 72 rebuilt. I don't know a lot about engines, but I know that they can look great with little extras like braided hoses and anodized fittings. What would you recommend I do to pretty up my engine. I mean, I guess I might as well do it now, right?
All depends on what kind of look you're going for. Stock or close to it, or full on custom? I've seen engine compartments that had me in awe, even though they were stock looking, simply because everything was spotless and had fresh paint and (appropriate) decals.

Custom is all dependent on your own taste. Personally, I think steel braid over the radiator hoses is tacky and dated. Same for red and blue anodized fittings. If there are anodized fittings, I like them ALL to be the same color and to look tasteful. Pick a color theme and add parts that complement it. For example, black engine, valve covers, air cleaner, with polished aluminum intake and maybe a red distributor cap and/or wires to add some color. Of course, you may think what I like the look of is hideous! What do you like?

I would suggest googling images of custom engines and pick/choose what looks good to you to incorporate into your own engine.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:34 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

There was a recent post with many responses 'show us your engine compartment', check it out for ideas. T
Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Here you go.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mpartment.html

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Braided hoses, anodized fittings, and what eles?

Quick Reply: Braided hoses, anodized fittings, and what eles?