Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Wow

Put down the pipe and back away!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
Free vacation for making fun of someone's over priced parts? Hmmm suddenly I think I could dream up a few insulting comments. Is it all inclusive??

you are not as smart as you think you are if you don`t know what a CF "free vacation" is...
Old 07-18-2018, 11:19 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
you are not as smart as you think you are if you don`t know what a CF "free vacation" is...

Sarcasm
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Maybe I should part out my mostly original car.

Last edited by crawfish333; 07-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
It is a crazy price. Considering the fact that these were used on many GM cars you should still be able to find them in junk yards.
If that’s true, I’d think it would be smart to head down to the junk yard and accumulate all of them and sell them all for $25 less than this guy (and apparently a few others) are successfully selling them for. If it’s not so easy after all and they continue to sell, maybe the price isn’t so crazy after all.

If someone deliberately asks crook prices for something, they should expect criticism. Criticism is societies way of keeping people in line and on the right track, we need more of it!

Thats absolutely true in a free market system and here in the forum General Discussion area. But in case you and anyone else missed the point of my vacation comment, it was in response to a member who suggested that a Corvette Forum member could get his sales thread closed as a result of criticism of his price and interference by the peanut gallery. I actually looked up that listing to make sure that did not happen (it didn’t, I knew that) and I pointed out that if someone found the need to criticize a member’s sale price, no matter how crazy they think it is, in a sales area (Parts, Cars For Sale) they absolutely will get time off from the forum. We have rules in place specifically for people to not interfere in sales threads of members. Most people know that.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Some people just have toooo much money and not enough sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by M A Fry
Some people just have toooo much money and not enough sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

My local cable TV provider recently revamped their format, and I now get the 'Velocity Channel', which is all automobile oriented programming. There's one show, while interesting, fully displays the "money over brains" theory, in full bloom. It's called 'Fantom Works'. The show centers around this shop that repairs/restores old cars. I was watching an episode a couple of days ago, while having lunch. A "nostalgia buff" brings in a 1969 Shelby GT 500 Mustang, that he's had for a long time. It was his childhood dream car, and he wants it "fixed up". Sadly, the car appears to have been a daily driver for a portion of it's early days, and that time included some winter driving. The undercarriage exhibited a lot of rust, presumably from road salt used to melt snow and ice.

Bottom line, this shop spent roughly a year of time, and a TON of money for parts and labor, putting this car back into tip-top shape. In all honesty, while I think this was a really cool car, if I was faced with the decision to restore or walk away, I would have walked away. I've lived in the north-east portion of the United States, known as the "rust belt", and I'm familiar with how cars of that era deteriorated if driven in winter, and IMHO, this Shelby was pretty far gone. But, as you say, too many people have too much money and too little sense....

Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by M A Fry
Why? Corvette restorations can run close to 6 figures. Looking at the big picture of restoration dollars spent, the price of this particular wing nut (assuming this wing nut is correct) is but a very small percentage of the cost. And who is to say the seller may take half the asking price.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

My local cable TV provider recently revamped their format, and I now get the 'Velocity Channel', which is all automobile oriented programming. There's one show, while interesting, fully displays the "money over brains" theory, in full bloom. It's called 'Fantom Works'. The show centers around this shop that repairs/restores old cars. I was watching an episode a couple of days ago, while having lunch. A "nostalgia buff" brings in a 1969 Shelby GT 500 Mustang, that he's had for a long time. It was his childhood dream car, and he wants it "fixed up". Sadly, the car appears to have been a daily driver for a portion of it's early days, and that time included some winter driving. The undercarriage exhibited a lot of rust, presumably from road salt used to melt snow and ice.

Bottom line, this shop spent roughly a year of time, and a TON of money for parts and labor, putting this car back into tip-top shape. In all honesty, while I think this was a really cool car, if I was faced with the decision to restore or walk away, I would have walked away. I've lived in the north-east portion of the United States, known as the "rust belt", and I'm familiar with how cars of that era deteriorated if driven in winter, and IMHO, this Shelby was pretty far gone. But, as you say, too many people have too much money and too little sense....

Original Shelby GT 500's are rare so it's understandable to do a resto. It's those four door or common cars that don't have much value they restore for top dollar due to family memories that have me scratching my head. Maybe I'm dead inside. Anyway, this is the only V show where real shop costs are discussed, well their costs. It's an OK show, try not to get wrapped up in the personalities.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
And who is to say the seller may take half the asking price.
That's good advice, several times I shot offers on things languishing on Ebay and the sellers accepted them.

It's funny, I have that wingnut on my car and thought it looked pretty crappy against the chrome lid, I'm guessing it's cad plated. I was going to replace it with a fresh chrome one but never got around to it, good thing I thought it was worthless. I like mint stuff but NCRS cars never appealed to me all that much at least in my own restoration pursuits. Things are expensive enough without having to worry about this kind of detail.

I'll bet guys that have sunk tons of money in NCRS restored Vettes gotta be a little concerned about Corvette value trends on original cars. Unless it's a super rare optioned car, they don't seem to make much sense monetarily.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by car junkie
…….. Anyway, this is the only V show where real shop costs are discussed, well their costs. It's an OK show, try not to get wrapped up in the personalities.
I find the personalities on this show, far more tolerable than the 'Gas Monkey' gang, especially Richard Rawlings, or the entire bunch of buffoons on 'Misfit Garage'.....
Old 07-20-2018, 12:26 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

I find the personalities on this show, far more tolerable than the 'Gas Monkey' gang, especially Richard Rawlings, or the entire bunch of buffoons on 'Misfit Garage'.....
How about the wanna be tough guy on Graveyard Carz? What a dick
Old 07-20-2018, 12:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gowenfast
How about the wanna be tough guy on Graveyard Carz? What a dick
Oh, you mean "Mr. Mopar Expert", to end all Mopar experts??

Old 07-20-2018, 01:01 PM
gowenfast
Le Mans Master

Received 825 Likes on 431 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '21

Oh, you mean "Mr. Mopar Expert", to end all Mopar experts??

That be the one. I hate it when he dances, or acts like he's a prize fighter. You do have to give him 1 thing though. He does have his own show making $$$$$'s by doing dumb chit
Old 07-22-2018, 07:29 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

I learned a long time ago not to make fun of what people will pay for NOS parts. NCRS guys aren't the only culprits. I once bought a pair of Kawasaki S2 350 road race bikes for $400. With them came 20 bins of parts, about half which wasn't related to the race bikes, including a lot of NOS Kawasaki parts in original bags/boxes. I listed a NOS brake lever in the original bag for a 1972 Kawasaki Z900 on eBay for $20. The final bidding ended at $940. I netted $4000 from the sale of all those parts, and sold the race bikes untouched for $1000 (I ended up to chicken to race them). That money went towards buying my 72 Corvette from a forum member. Consider it a form of recycling 😍

Marc in Indy.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 838 Posts
Default Wow

Well Played!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Reminds me of something I ran up against, about 20 years ago. At the time, I had a 1977 Pontiac T/A, and apparently GM had either a bad batch of RH rear quarter panels, or a bad day on the assembly line, resulting in quite a few cars getting out with the quarter panels not aligned properly. This resulted in water getting into the "dogleg" area where the rear window joined the quarter. The result was premature rust in this area.

This happened to my T/A, but not until the car was long out of warranty, since I didn't drive the car in the winter. I wanted to replace the quarter, so I went to the Pontiac dealer where a friend was the parts manager. He looked up the panel and it came back as "discontinued". He did, however, give me the phone numbers for the various GM "parts depots" across the country, think that even though the national computer system showed "zero stock", there still might be a few that slipped through an inventory, and be available.

Long story short, I called all of the warehouses, and while there were indeed a few around, I was always a week to 10 days too late, they had been sold. Turns out, some recently retired GM employee had decided to open up a parts/restoration business, and he used his connections to locate and purchase ALL the original Camaro/Firebird body parts that were in the system. I stumbled on to an add that he had placed in Hemmings, advertising the quarters for sale. The GM price was $360 each. He wanted $1000...……….
just about every resto parts house owners had inside info from GM parts dept when parts where going to be soon discontinued. and then they would buy them up
Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

I'll sell my original air cleaner wing nut for the low low price of $150.00. That's $15.00 cheaper that you can find anywhere else. PM Me.

Quick Reply: ebay auction, hurry only 10 days left!