Sponsored by:

Duh brake cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Duh brake cable

In one of my more stellar DA moves, I neglected to notice that the emergency brake cable was still connected between said handle and the binders. Dropping the frame from the birdcage from my 79..birdcage on jack stands..I notice that the floor pan appears to be sagging. The firewall's removed. I had previously thought to myself "damn, that birdcage and aft body is pretty heavy". Rear suspension wasn't compressing, but the thing's basically a shell. So, as take the front wheels off and attempt to drop the frame down on a dolly, I notice the floor bend a little more. Further inspection reveals that the tranny tunnel has begun to separate from the aft panel behind the seats. I jack it back up and release the cable from the handle and the birdcage/floorpan assembly is real lite now, but I'm left with a bent floor pan.

shoot me
Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Wow , that sucks ! I always remember a conversation I had with a couple of body repair guys I had years ago . They said the best thing to do , is try and exactly reverse what you did wrong . In your case to get something under the floor right where the cable pulled down and then get it to push back up . I would be thinking to put it back on the frame and bolt the cage down so it has some weight to resist just rising up with the jacking block you might use.

Just my thoughts on this and please , you have to put a pic up of it .
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

In a move of brilliant stupidity I snapped off the one year only turn signal / high beam/ cruise control arm on my 77 and I feel your pain!

I would take some good picks of what has happened and post them and send a pm to DUB and ask what would be the best way to put it back like it was ! JMHO!

Hope it's an easy fix ! Good luck as you go forward with your build !

Get notified of new replies

To Duh brake cable

Quick Reply: Duh brake cable