Sponsored by:

F'in body shop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default F'in body shop!

Had my bumper covers for two months and I stripped them before I brought them , I brought the gas cap cover for a paint chip to match because the car was repainted a different color white , they said no problem they can match it . .. they painted the bumper covers and the gas cover stock Corvette white it looks horrible bad enough the bumper covers are a different color but they weren't supposed to paint the gas cover I even said please do not scratch it ... now I am screwed I am putting the covers back on don't know what to do now I am in way to deep on this car pd 4k for the car and spent 7k on parts I did all the labor ,I can only imagine another body shop wanting $1500 probably to repaint the bumpers on the car to get a good match . Anybody want to buy a car? Lol
Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

Nasty
On the positive side at least it only your bumpers
it could be on the main body

Glenn in San Diego
Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM
av81
Racer

Yah right , I didn't want to have the car in a body shop cause the engine compartment/motor , frame , rear suspension has all been painted and detailed and I know everything will have either over spray or dust , this blows
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to hear that! How did the shop handle it with you?

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 07-18-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Sorry to hear that! How did the shop handle it with you?
That's what I was thinking. If your not satisfied with the work and they didn't follow your instructions they should make it right at no cost to you. It appears that they didn't listen to your and the fault is theirs. Do you have a work order with your instructions on it, in other words were your instructions written down anywhere? If they don't make it right then you may have a small claims case.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
That's what I was thinking. If your not satisfied with the work and they didn't follow your instructions they should make it right at no cost to you. It appears that they didn't listen to your and the fault is theirs. Do you have a work order with your instructions on it, in other words were your instructions written down anywhere? If they don't make it right then you may have a small claims case.
Exactly.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

If they don't make good on it, I would be tempted to park it on a public road in front of their shop with a very poisitve sign on the car asking people to see for themselves what a great paint job they did.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the owner paid the bill and took the car, that is validation that he accepted the condition as received. It would be difficult to get any kind of settlement out of the shop, unless they are just very nice folks. ALWAYS check over a vehicle after work has been done; and NEVER accept the vehicle or make payment if you are dissatisfied.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 PM
av81
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If the owner paid the bill and took the car, that is validation that he accepted the condition as received. It would be difficult to get any kind of settlement out of the shop, unless they are just very nice folks. ALWAYS check over a vehicle after work has been done; and NEVER accept the vehicle or make payment if you are dissatisfied.
I looked at the bumper covers they matched the gas cover I said great job and put everything in the back of my work van and left , did not notice they painted the gas cover till I went to put it back on and was horrified at the color difference . .. I did not call the body shop yet ... would you want to leave the covers for another 2 months? I rather move on but I will inform them on what a suck **** job they did . It just a loss of time and money . Makes me second think this hobby I have three cars and if a car needs body work I know I am screwed you can not get good work unless you over pay and wait too long ...body shops suk
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

As an experienced painter I can tell you it's VERY tough to spray bumper covers off the car and have them hit 100%. Especially white. It's my guess that when they compared the covers they sprayed to your gas cap they saw a miss match and sprayed the gas lid so you thought it matched so you would pay em and take them.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

BINGO! That sounds like a realistic scenario. So the shop's painting of the gas cap is the "smoking gun" clue which points to them attempting to "hide" the paint mismatch with the rest of the car.

Sneaky....

Call the shop and tell them you know why they painted the gas cap (which they were NOT supposed to paint). That may put them on the defensive. In a legal suit, that could be used to point to the shop having recognized the problem and attempting to cover it up.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Did they also repaint the underside of the gas door? If not it would have the original color you could show them. I would contact them in person. I hope you can get it resolved. Good luck.

Last edited by JETS C3-C4; 07-19-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:39 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

So if you don't pay the bill how do you get your car back. The body shop will always make the excuse it is an old car and hard to match the paint. What do you do if they won't fix it. Leave your car until they do? The most you can do is pay, get your car and take them to court. Put it in front of the shop with a sign, what's that going to do. Do you think it will scare potential customers, how. How long will you leave your car there and watch it so it takes a hit on his business. Hopefully it won't come down to all this and they will fix it.

This is why I do all my own work on the car. I hate to depend on people to do the job like I want it to be.

Last edited by 540 vette; 07-19-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:50 AM
540 vette
Race Director

BINGO! That sounds like a realistic scenario. So the shop's painting of the gas cap is the "smoking gun" clue which points to them attempting to "hide" the paint mismatch with the rest of the car.

Sneaky....

Call the shop and tell them you know why they painted the gas cap (which they were NOT supposed to paint). That may put them on the defensive. In a legal suit, that could be used to point to the shop having recognized the problem and attempting to cover it up.

The gas cap conspiracy.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:22 AM
av81
Racer

That makes perfect sense they painted the gas cap cover cause it didn't match and they did not want to be bothered with a do over , I really would not mind a minor color difference but this looks like a total turd ... I got a plan calling a old fishing bud who owns a body shop supply store to see if he can mix the paint to match , most likely I will remove a mirror and bring that for a chip HOPEFULLY they won't paint that too !! Maybe he can call one of his customers to paint the covers.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by av81
That makes perfect sense they painted the gas cap cover cause it didn't match and they did not want to be bothered with a do over , I really would not mind a minor color difference but this looks like a total turd ... I got a plan calling a old fishing bud who owns a body shop supply store to see if he can mix the paint to match , most likely I will remove a mirror and bring that for a chip HOPEFULLY they won't paint that too !! Maybe he can call one of his customers to paint the covers.
No they probably painted the gas cap because no one told the painter not to do it. Normally you would put a piece of tape on it and write on it not to paint it. Because they painted the bumpers separately from the car they assumed the gas door was getting the same treatment. I would have put the bumpers on the car and had them paint it like that. Now there is no excuse for the wrong color.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 AM
av81
Racer

Bumpers are going on the car right now (i am installing ) going to send a headlamp cover to body shop to mix paint and paint some samples for me to match and decide if the cant get a color to match the will paint the car to match for 3k , if they can get a color to match sending the car down to paint bumpers on car.

Get notified of new replies

To F'in body shop!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:56 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by av81
Bumpers are going on the car right now (i am installing ) going to send a headlamp cover to body shop to mix paint and paint some samples for me to match and decide if the cant get a color to match the will paint the car to match for 3k , if they can get a color to match sending the car down to paint bumpers on car.
Are they going to paint the whole car or blend the color in and clear the front and rear. Thats good that you got it worked out. Body shops can be frustrating.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

Should have mounted bumpers then had it painted.They have to blend it in. To many variables. Hope it all works out.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Body shops can be a pain but they can make it right too.
My daughter had her subaru painted black with a very basic inexpensive paint job.

They called, it was ready. So I drove her down to pick it up. The body shop manager met us outside and it was clear there was an issue. He immediately went into a story on how the paint guy gave her the wrong paint job, did not read the invoice, blah blah blah. I smiled and said no problem, I'm sure you can make it right.

The guy took us inside and explained the shop did way more work on the car than what she had requested and provided a much higher quality paint and job on the car!
Wow! He also explained there was no change in the bill to my daughter!

Man that ole subby looked good! LOL!
It is rare the error is to the customers benefit and this time my daughter scored!

Scott

Quick Reply: F'in body shop!