1982 CE wih 8K miles - Certify mileage - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 CE wih 8K miles - Certify mileage

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 AM
  #1  
demunn
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1982 CE wih 8K miles - Certify mileage

We recently inherited a 1982 CE from my father who has basically stored it for about 34 years. Upon cleaning it up an recalling my late teen years with muscle cars, I notice that the odometer turns over at 100K miles. I know there were many of these editions made and probably some out there with lower miles but I was wondering how/if we should certifiy the actual mileage on this vehicle? We don't plan on putting more than a few hundred miles a summer on it going forward and I'd like to keep it under 10K for as long as possible.

Any thoughts/opinions on this?

DM
demunn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:41 AM
  #2  
KingRat
CF Senior Member
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Posts: 754
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by demunn View Post
We recently inherited a 1982 CE from my father who has basically stored it for about 34 years. Upon cleaning it up an recalling my late teen years with muscle cars, I notice that the odometer turns over at 100K miles. I know there were many of these editions made and probably some out there with lower miles but I was wondering how/if we should certifiy the actual mileage on this vehicle? We don't plan on putting more than a few hundred miles a summer on it going forward and I'd like to keep it under 10K for as long as possible.

Any thoughts/opinions on this?

DM
Do you have receipts for work done that show the progression of the mileage?
KingRat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:07 PM
  #3  
Vettebuyer6369
Moderator
 
Vettebuyer6369's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Posts: 35,930
Thanked 1,261 Times in 810 Posts
Default



If you dont donít have receipts, if you can find out where he had oil changes/ service done they might be able to provide you with some docs or info.

Also, if you know where the car was insured, they might have mileage declarations.
Vettebuyer6369 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:25 PM
  #4  
Kie
CF Senior Member
 
Kie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 265
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Forgive me please if Iím being dense.

Are you uncertain if the actual miles are 8k, 108k, 208k or other? I would find that hard to believe if so.

OR

Are you asking if there is some iron clad way to certify the odometer reading? If so, one of the most reassuring backstories to certify a carís history when shopping for one is in the case where a person inherited it from a deceased family member. In the case of it being the direct offspring of a man/woman.... the stated history is that much more bullet proof.
Kie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 PM
  #5  
Zoomin
Zoopreme ******
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zoomin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Land of Thunder
Posts: 26,027
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15
Default

Condition? It's easy to tell the difference between an 8,000 mile car and 108,000.

My opinion is you should drive it and not worry about the miles. The difference in value between 10,000 miles and 25,000 isn't enough to justify not enjoying the car.

Check out the age of the tires. If they're that old, they may be shot and still look good - a blowout can tear the heck out of fenders. If they are original, take them off and toss them in the attic.

Also, since you're new here you probably don't know, there's a long standing rule that if you're new to the site or acquired a new car, you have to post pictures of it.
Zoomin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:09 PM
  #6  
KingRat
CF Senior Member
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Posts: 754
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
My opinion is you should drive it and not worry about the miles. The difference in value between 10,000 miles and 25,000 isn't enough to justify not enjoying the car.
With that said, IF you do start putting miles on a car that old with that few miles, hoses, belts, seals, will start to fail and you will end up replacing them. THAT will definitely hurt the value of the car if you ever decide to sell. I sold '77 and '79 Trans Am SEs with 12k and 6k miles respectively. Those cars commanded a premium over similar cars because everything was the way it left the factory. OK forum... flame on.
KingRat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM
  #7  
Zoomin
Zoopreme ******
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zoomin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Land of Thunder
Posts: 26,027
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15
Default

Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
With that said, IF you do start putting miles on a car that old with that few miles, hoses, belts, seals, will start to fail and you will end up replacing them. THAT will definitely hurt the value of the car if you ever decide to sell. I sold '77 and '79 Trans Am SEs with 12k and 6k miles respectively. Those cars commanded a premium over similar cars because everything was the way it left the factory. OK forum... flame on.
And everyone knows that about buying an old car. Unless the buyer is a museum or an NCRS Duntov aficionado no one really is going to ante up for an big bucks for an 82 and really don't have the demand Trans Ams do.
Zoomin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 PM
  #8  
KingRat
CF Senior Member
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Posts: 754
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
And everyone knows that about buying an old car. Unless the buyer is a museum or an NCRS Duntov aficionado no one really is going to ante up for an big bucks for an 82 and really don't have the demand Trans Ams do.
The OP seems concerned about preserving his father's car in its current condition. I personally cannot say what "everyone" knows so I thought I would be helpful and point out, from experience, driving low mile cars will quickly cause trans leaks, rear end leaks, original dated belts to break, original hoses to leak, original lights to burn out, heater core leaks and a lot of other annoying things that happens as a result of a car sitting so long. I also respectfully disagree with you when you say "no one" is going to pay up for an '82 CE. I sold a very nice one last April for about half the price I have seen them sell for at auction when they are low mile survivor-type examples but, to each his own.
KingRat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:13 PM
  #9  
Zoomin
Zoopreme ******
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zoomin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Land of Thunder
Posts: 26,027
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15
Default

Originally Posted by KingRat View Post
The OP seems concerned about preserving his father's car in its current condition. I personally cannot say what "everyone" knows so I thought I would be helpful and point out, from experience, driving low mile cars will quickly cause trans leaks, rear end leaks, original dated belts to break, original hoses to leak, original lights to burn out, heater core leaks and a lot of other annoying things that happens as a result of a car sitting so long. I also respectfully disagree with you when you say "no one" is going to pay up for an '82 CE. I sold a very nice one last April for about half the price I have seen them sell for at auction when they are low mile survivor-type examples but, to each his own.

Zoomin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 PM
  #10  
Scottd
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Jeebus you guys get off topic quick. The OP wants to know how to keep track of his current and cumulative miles.

1) turn the location based service function on your phone 'on'
2) Take a picture of the odometer and of the car. Your phone will store a date, time and location with the photo.
3) Download this data to your computer, then a hard drive or cloud.

Do this every 6 months. It like a diary for your car. In 10 years when you go to sell it and you say 'its only got 13,000 miles on it, heres when I started tracking in July of 2018'....

Yeah, you could try and start collecting receipts, but receipt paper fades over time. You could go and get some notarized letter, but notaries dont mean **** nowadays. Its almost impossible to fool a phone with LBS turned on. They use time and live GPS data. Unless you are some crazy *** hacker, its a fail safe way to track history with your car.

Just my .02 y'all...................
Scottd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:21 AM
  #11  
Zoomin
Zoopreme ******
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zoomin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Land of Thunder
Posts: 26,027
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15
Default

Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
Jeebus you guys get off topic quick. The OP wants to know how to keep track of his current and cumulative miles.

1) turn the location based service function on your phone 'on'
2) Take a picture of the odometer and of the car. Your phone will store a date, time and location with the photo.
3) Download this data to your computer, then a hard drive or cloud.

Do this every 6 months. It like a diary for your car. In 10 years when you go to sell it and you say 'its only got 13,000 miles on it, heres when I started tracking in July of 2018'....

Yeah, you could try and start collecting receipts, but receipt paper fades over time. You could go and get some notarized letter, but notaries dont mean **** nowadays. Its almost impossible to fool a phone with LBS turned on. They use time and live GPS data. Unless you are some crazy *** hacker, its a fail safe way to track history with your car.

Just my .02 y'all...................

You may have reading comprehension issues.
Zoomin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:22 AM
  #12  
Kevova
CF Senior Member
 
Kevova's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: near the thumb in the mitten
Posts: 2,784
Thanked 266 Times in 253 Posts
Default

DMV records msy have mileage. With 8k moles should have most if not all the original parts on it. Reputable corvette expert could be helpful with a documented inspection of car. There are some maintenance parts that are unique to the "plant" along with date codes on other parts.
Kevova is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM
  #13  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 65,664
Thanked 866 Times in 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

x2 with DMV, possibly old insurance paperwork? Again, 8k is obviou, dont worry about driving it you wont hurt value.
To want to use the car and leave all the rotten parts on it is insane...the next guy will wonder about replacing it all too, just do it and drive it, its sat long enough!

Its just a car not a hope diamond. No way is an original hose going to increase value over poping the hood and seeing all new expendables. Stck the old stuff in a box.
I saved the originals off another vette it meant nothing to the buyer, didnt want em. Some of ya get way too carried away with this.
cuisinartvette is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 AM
  #14  
derekderek
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Westville NJ
Posts: 3,027
Thanked 357 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Pic of brake pedal and driver's seat. Grab left door (while open) and lift up and down. Pic of the tires. These are ways to tell 8k from 108k. Your father stored it 34 years? You were in the home while this beastie was in the garage most of your life? Then the orig 8k is pretty provable. Are you driving 36 year old tires? Some NCRS type will want them. Rims and all. Try to remount them and they are done.
derekderek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
  #15  
2TONE82
CF Senior Member
 
2TONE82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 1999
Location: Madison Alabama
Posts: 2,064
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I'll second the DMV records search...our 1982 was fairly low mileage when we purchased her...had three previous owners from Ohio to FL. It took some time but I was able to find DMV records for inspections and actually able to get copies of title transfers documenting mileage.

On a side note - this is why it's important for us car guys to at least make sure our kids/grandkids know where the important documentation is stored for our cars and what it all means. I have a few spare parts - a date code match spare set of t-tops for instance - that the family knows about should/when something happens to me plus a bunch of original paperwork, build sheet maintenance records etc.
2TONE82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1982 CE wih 8K miles - Certify mileage


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: