Sponsored by:

Finished relocating original WW pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Default Finished relocating original WW pump

For no real reason (like most things I do) other than to create a little less clutter where the wiper motor vs ignition shielding is

I decided last winter to remove the mechanical washer pump and us an electric on on the reservoir instead. And as usual the project quickly expanded.
I've seen several cases where people used a newer style motor but since I've got the wiper door I still need the original style with the extra wire.
I've also seen where it looks like they've used a newer motor plate to cover the older motor. So I borrowed one from a friends car and although it fits (maybe with a little trim here or there) and they are basically the exact same, a little longer at the solenoid end but that's not really much of an issue (better than too short)

But I didn't really like the hole where the wires would go through on the newer style motors

One thing leads to another

Now I've got buckets of room in there

Drilled a hole under the tank and installed an electric pump, wired to the old harness and re-routed the washer hoses staying inside the wiper bay

And finally today (OK started last night), after a couple of months working on other things, made up a new reservoir cap since it doesn't need the hose connection anymore (and I like shiny things, still needs a finial polish on the buffer)

So wanting some room and not wanting the plastic covers (motor or reservoir) = a bunch of CAD/CAM hours worth of work spread out over several months of time

Now of course the P/S cap looks pretty cheap....
M
The following users liked this post:
7t2vette (07-28-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
For no real reason (like most things I do) other than to create a little less clutter where the wiper motor vs ignition shielding is

I decided last winter to remove the mechanical washer pump and us an electric on on the reservoir instead. And as usual the project quickly expanded.
I've seen several cases where people used a newer style motor but since I've got the wiper door I still need the original style with the extra wire.
I've also seen where it looks like they've used a newer motor plate to cover the older motor. So I borrowed one from a friends car and although it fits (maybe with a little trim here or there) and they are basically the exact same, a little longer at the solenoid end but that's not really much of an issue (better than too short)

But I didn't really like the hole where the wires would go through on the newer style motors

One thing leads to another

Now I've got buckets of room in there

Drilled a hole under the tank and installed an electric pump, wired to the old harness and re-routed the washer hoses staying inside the wiper bay

And finally today (OK started last night), after a couple of months working on other things, made up a new reservoir cap since it doesn't need the hose connection anymore (and I like shiny things, still needs a finial polish on the buffer)

So wanting some room and not wanting the plastic covers (motor or reservoir) = a bunch of CAD/CAM hours worth of work spread out over several months of time

Now of course the P/S cap looks pretty cheap....
M
Awesome work!

I'd love to have the knowhow and equipment to make my own parts. Very cool.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:49 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

If never hurts to be a Machinist/C3 Owner
Old 07-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by doorgunner
If never hurts to be a Machinist/C3 Owner
Yes it does, I could be on the road much earlier each year if I'd stop dreaming up crap like this to do each winter

M

Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I can’t seem to find the link to the online order form!

Love it, great job!!!

Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Mooser
Race Director

I'm pretty sure it was one of the pics of yours with the later model cover on it is what made me want to remove the mechanical pump to clean up that area in the first place
Now that the blistering heat is gone if the rains would just stop I might be able to dial in the new fan controller and actually be mobile....., On the plus side the new power steering cooler works
M
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Rained yesterday so I went ahead and did a cover for the PS pump as well, I need to get out more
Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

I'm not going a fancy as you. I'm putting a '75 cover on my motor and putting an electric pump in my washer fluid tank. Parts are on the way (Thanks Willcox). I'll be doing it this weekend. Must be nice having access to a CNC machine!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 PM
Mooser
Race Director

That's exactly where I started out going, the road just detoured a few times along the way

Get notified of new replies

To Finished relocating original WW pump

Quick Reply: Finished relocating original WW pump