79 Rear Speakers What am I Missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 AM
psicoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 79 Rear Speakers What am I Missing

Anything missing behind the brackets?
I am installing new rear speakers, 1979 and it appears there are the optional brackets in place that are rivetted in place. I have read over and over again the need to get a shallow magnet for this space. Or I have misread this information. When I hold in place a 6 x 9 speaker there appears to be a lot of space with nothing interfering a large magnet. Am I missing something that ought to be there that will interfere that will require this shallow magnet or can I just get whatever 6 x 9 that I like?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

with alittle work a 6x9 works fine .its just not the way the factory did it .change to any good aftermarket speaker,will be better than what you had,The front speakers have very little room for the magnets..put your better speakers in the kick panels.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 AM
psicoli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terry82
with alittle work a 6x9 works fine .its just not the way the factory did it .change to any good aftermarket speaker,will be better than what you had,The front speakers have very little room for the magnets..put your better speakers in the kick panels.
yes the kick panels i have added the speakers and the dash. both were no trouble. the rears look as simple, a 6 x 9 of choice and move on.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

install speakers ,,take pics,, tells us how happy your are.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

There's a mounting bracket that attaches to those riveted flanges with three sheet metal screws, then there's a speaker grillle that the speaker screws to, and then the grille screws to the mounting bracket. So two pairs of parts missing if you want an oem style install. Likely cheaper to just buy a set of the angled aftermarket 6x9 mounts and attach them with a little creative use of sheet metal brackets.
The following users liked this post:
psicoli (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks to me like you have stock brackets for the close out panels (L and R) for cars without the optional rear speakers. Factory rear speakers used different hardware.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:04 PM
psicoli
Intermediate

Thanks all. Beginning to make sense. Install new speakers of choice and move on or dig deeper into the project for the OEM meant to be. Thinking just buy new 6 x 9 of choice mount into existing bracket and hope for the best. What can go wrong. Lol
Old 08-02-2018, 04:58 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Looks to me like you have stock brackets for the close out panels (L and R) for cars without the optional rear speakers. Factory rear speakers used different hardware.

By the way. Depth isn't the real problem with the factory brackets. It's the diameter of the magnet that causes the fitment problem. While the material quality of OEM radios and loudspeakers of that era was quite good, Delco chose to spec high impedence, low efficiency loudspeakers with low-power, low dynamic range "hard" clipping amplifiers with oversized output transistors and heat sinks. The result was fair sound at low to moderate volume and almost zero chance of component damage if the volume and tone controls were cranked all the way up for long periods even if the horridly ragged sound that ensued was essentially unlistenable.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

"hard clipping", "...sink"...?
You seem to know what you are talking about. I'd have to sit down and Google just what it all means, but impressive.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Rear Speakers What am I Missing

Quick Reply: 79 Rear Speakers What am I Missing